The Tornado Hunters

Just want to remind everyone of the upcoming new special, Thrill Zone: "The Tornado Hunters" to air on The National Geographic Channel, Weds March 9th at 8 pm E.T. (7pm CST).

It should be a great show!

Mel

That's perfect timing! Dr. Rasmussen's online chat will begin right after the show at 8:00PM Central.

Regards,

Mike

Cool. Looking forward to it. Also there was a "Surviving" episode called "Supertwisters" on tonight which was about the '74 Super Outbreak. I believe it will be on again at 11 CST.

Got my DVR all set to record it! Can't wait.

I watched the Surviving: Super Tornadoes show the other night and I have to say that I just don't enjoy the human tragedy aspect. I think
Tornado Hunters will be more of the great video and chasing thrills.

Has anyone heard when Tim S's HITPR video will air? :D

I just watched the segment on Melanie and Peggy....Good work ladies!!
Not only did you get great video but helped others out as well. You really made a difference on that family and they will never forget the two Twister Sisters!
I liked how you put fellow chasers in a good light as well.
Now back to the show..lol

Nice job to NGC and to the Twister Sisters ... glad that Peggy's comments concerning chasing as a thrill sport and the fact that chasers are simply interested in the storms was included in the program. Nice coverage of the Hallam event ... be sure to set your TiVO or VCR for the next showing on NGC in a couple of hours if you missed it. I remember meeting up with you both after the Hallam storm and you were still so excited about being able to help that family out ... now I see why you were so charged up that night! Nice job -

I loved the show - but wait! What's an ANTI-PSYCHOTIC tornado?? That is indeed one of the great tornado mysteries? :shock: :eek: :lol:

Got It Figured!!

I think the narrator meant to say "Anti-Cyclonic" tornado. The person doing the closed captioning probably didn't know snuff about tornadoes and put down what he/she thought was said. :roll:

I've seen this typo-hypo syndrome on the closed captioning happen all the time at live sport events, tv specials and even the Weather Channel is prone to this malady. I don't quite remember what was said on the air on the Weather Channel at that time, but the word "pregnancy" came out in the closed captions. I wondered where in the heck did that come from?? :shock: (Maybe another weather gal is PG??)

Thought I would punt er I meant pant uh, well forget it, just read the captions, all right?? :lol:

This is meant as no offense to anybody who was featured in this documentary....

But the NGC is owned by FOX and it really showed in this production. For the entire hour this thing was on I was seasick from trying to watch the program through the haze of constant, jumbled-up, shaked-around video footage.

The narrator clearly had no meteorological knowledge whatsoever and, what is more disturbing, whoever wrote the script to be read also had little of said knowledge. This program was full of mispronunciation and, even scarier, factual innacuracies.

They showed the Hallam F4, and then proceeded to say that it "measured F4 on the Tornado Scale". They then proceeded to show the Fujita scale but its graphics were shaking so "atmospherically" I couldn't read it if I had wanted to.

They referred to an anticyclonic tornado as an antipsychotic tornado. I have yet to witness such a timid vortex.

They showed Jim Leonard chasing a quote "tornado-storm", and when his windshield was lost to hail, stated "the tornado pounds Jim with hail".
They also showed Mike Theiss' straight-line wind damage video from Fort Worth last summer (flimsy gas station roof flying apart beneath the setting sun and eternally high bases), and stated that is was an up-close shot of tornado destruction.

Sorry NGC, 1 out of 10. The only mildly interesting and informative part of this was the odd film clip of Fujita walking around some tornado damage paths. I think that section lasted 5 seconds.

This is yet another example of programming being created to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It is MTV-stylized and almost unwatchable. It provided next to no educational content and misleads the viewer on numerous occasions with incorrect or inaccurate facts.

What a horrid piece of work.

KR

the only part I liked was the twister sisters's part because they showed clips of the July 14th, 2003 tornadoes In south central Minnesota with the awesome orange effect. Those storms were my first tornadoes. They also showed damage on the St. Clair area in South central Minnesota too bad the narrator didnt mention it

I'm still wondering why they mentioned Jon Davies and never followed through with anything else about him?

Regards,

Mike

Back