• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

The impact of social media on storm chasing

Obviously there are so many downsides to social media, but one positive I can’t ignore is that it gives many more chasers the opportunity to make it their livelihood . I can’t imagine we would have as many full time chasers as we do now without social media, although I guess that is up to interpretation whether that is a good or bad thing. But there are people who have turned doing what they loved most into a full time job, and I think that’s pretty awesome. I personally would love an opportunity to chase full time once I’m old enough.

I have my doubts as to how many full-time chasers there are out there that actually support themselves through chasing. I know there are some, like RT whom we all talk about a lot, but I have my doubts as to how many others there actually are. Social media is set up more to make money for the social media companies than for their users, although I know there are some users who make good money off of it. How many of these are storm chasers posting primarily about their chases, though, I have my doubts. I would guess not very many.

I have my doubts as to how many full-time chasers there are out there that actually support themselves through chasing. I know there are some, like RT whom we all talk about a lot, but I have my doubts as to how many others there actually are. Social media is set up more to make money for the social media companies than for their users, although I know there are some users who make good money off of it. How many of these are storm chasers posting primarily about their chases, though, I have my doubts. I would guess not very many.

Being in the business, kind of, I would guess the only individuals making a genuine, good living from chasing are Timmer, Ryan Hall and possibly a tour operator(s). Other individuals make some money, but not enough to completely support themselves comfortably over time without other forms of income. This would include trust funds, inheritance, spouse income, etc. I know some people can chase on a budget, but it's not a living that will provide for a family or take you comfortabley into retirement years.

I no longer make a living from chasing. Not even close. Photography imploded with advent of cell phones and free distributions on the Internet. Sponsors disappeared after Storm Chasers hit the airwaves and corporations decided "chasers" posed significant risk management and PR issues. I lost a $75k gig with a home improvement company the moment a manager saw the idiots on Storm Chasers screaming and driving like fools, even though I pleaded that was not the way I pursued weather.

Social media-derived income is a trap for several reasons. It forces a chaser to do things they would never do before. Unless you are providing the most insane, close-up footage, no one is going to follow or worship you. This comes with great risk, both physically and legally should you kill someone via your agressive antics. I do believe social media will eventually change, likley in ways we cannot predict. They could ban live chasing or more likley, new, younger and even more insane chasers will steal the limelight away from the current kings. Live, AI-generated coverage is also a possibility.

I admit, I haven't watched any of Ryan Hall's material. I think because the thumbnails look so overhyped with words/phrases and over saturated colors, for me it caters to people needing stimulation. Now, not having watched it, I can't comment on the material being presented so, perhaps someone here can expound a little to say, it's good or its just overhyped garbage as there are a few I have come across on YouTube that are very much in the business of sales, with no depth or communications skills.

Ryan does a good job of covering major events on social media and he's come a long way since his early days. He has a great crew including a very well-versed meteorologist (Andy), who assists him. He's 10x better than TWC for local events -- especially without commericals. A lot of his popularity arises from an excellent crew of chasers / spotters. They are generally responsible and professional individuals, like Brad Arnold. I'm glad some of the more irresponsible chasers are no longer connected with him, as it was a liability lawsuit just waiting to happen.

If I lived in an outlooked area, I would watch him, along with local coverage. He's also an excellent source to watch live while chasing, e.g., responding for EMS duties, as he also provides damage reports. I don't mind exotic graphics, as long as the theme is not designed to over-hype a questionable event too far out.

He is no doubt the pioneer of live severe weather coverage on social media. Many chasers are emulating his format. Some are laughfable while others are trying to provide live, extreme clown chasing antics, which a lot of people enjoy watching, hoping something violent happens.

Ryan does a good job of covering major events on social media and he's come a long way since his early days. He has a great crew including a very well-versed meteorologist (Andy), who assists him. He's 10x better than TWC for local events -- especially without commericals. A lot of his popularity arises from an excellent crew of chasers / spotters. They are generally responsible and professional individuals, like Brad Arnold. I'm glad some of the more irresponsible chasers are no longer connected with him, as it was a liability lawsuit just waiting to happen.

If I lived in an outlooked area, I would watch him, along with local coverage. He's also an excellent source to watch live while chasing, e.g., responding for EMS duties, as he also provides damage reports. I don't mind exotic graphics, as long as the theme is not designed to over-hype a questionable event too far out.

He is no doubt the pioneer of live severe weather coverage on social media. Many chasers are emulating his format. Some are laughfable while others are trying to provide live, extreme clown chasing antics, which a lot of people enjoy watching, hoping something violent happens.
Thanks for the feedback, Warren. Yeah, I think I had seen some others that did a lot of that overhyped graphics and bad presentation styles prior to me seeing his channel, so I was like, "oh god not another one!", which was the reason for my skepticism right away. I'll give him a try based on the recommendation.

I have many comments inspired by this thread.

1) First off, as the now owner of Stormtrack, I want to thank everyone who has offered their thoughts in this thread a major THANK YOU from me personally. As most of you have commented or recognized, Stormtrack sees very little engagement these days, both compared to social media, and to its own past (pre-2010). But the amount of high quality posts in this thread illustrates that Stormtrack still has a beating heart - a core of members who still care about the fundamental passions that drive storm chasing as a passionate hobby and/or scientific pursuit of truth. I am so heartened to see it! Thank you again, and I hope you all continue to contribute to the still-growing body of meaningful content on this site. In fact, I have to wonder if this entire thread could serve as a basis for a chapter in the 50th anniversary anthology.

2) Regarding the impact of social media on chasing: there's little I can add (several of you have stated the most important and largest points on the topic). I feel similarly as those of you who have posted on the impacts on our attention span, the dopamine rush, and the reconfiguring of our psyches that social media has caused. To add to Jim's suggestion of some good book reads, I will add:
  • Stolen Focus by Johann Hari
  • I've also come to be familiar with the work of social psychologist Jonathan Haidt. He has (co)authored several books relevant to this topic, and has a whole web page devoted to discussing his research on the impacts of social media on us. This dovetails with his new book release - The Anxious Generation - which I have on my reading list. While I doubt you'll see any specific mentions of a niche community like storm chasing specifically used as examples in Haidt's work, I have no doubts that the exact same principles are at work in our little corner of the world.

3) I apologize for not having addressed this thread sooner. It appears to have run its course for now (maybe my post will bump it a bit and get more conversation going, but if it doesn't, I think the thread has been a huge success on this forum). I have not had the chance to read every single post; I did detailed readings of the posts on page 1, but then largely skimmed most of the rest of it. In doing so, I did capture some comments lamenting the pioneers or older "veteran" chasers who are no longer active here.

I used to think that these people stopped participating either because their egos got too big as well, or because they felt pushed out by the newer/younger generation of incoming storm chasers (the "Reed Timmer era" as someone referenced it) not really seeing things the way they did, or by the general disgust of the rise of social media. While I don't doubt those factors play a significant role, I want to offer an additional factor that I have not yet seen mentioned - an increasingly busy life. This has become especially apparent to me as I, myself, have noticed an increase in my level of life activity over the past few years, to the point where it starts to interfere with my ability to continue to chase or to participate as much on this forum. My job responsibilities have increased as I have begun to approach the mid-career phase in life (I have been at my current position at CU/CIRES and NOAA/GSL for over six years now and am approaching the 10-year anniversary of completing my PhD), and also as I have become married (again) and begun the steps of starting a family and living in a house. These things take up more of my time, and they are factors that didn't use to be there for me. I would guess a lot of the older folks have experienced similar changes in their own lives (children growing up but not yet left the house, increased work responsibilities - especially if moving into a managerial position).

<acknowledgement that the following paragraph is an off-topic drift>
I also ponder the factor of a drift away from the passion of the hobby itself. As I have lamented in previous threads, the overall activity of severe weather in the Plains appears to be on a long-term drop (thinking especialy starting in 2017 and continuing through 2024). Although my non-weather life circumstances have contributed, this apparent lack of consistent quality chase setups over the past 5-10 years has definitely served to reduce my desire to go out and chase. I noticed back in 2021 when I busted repeatedly in a short stretch in May that the pain of going out only to be out of position or have to drive 200 miles at 90 mph to get to the location of storms only to end up 200 miles further away from home, or just flat out busting, was way more intense than the pain I felt from missing a good event within a chaseable distance from home. I started getting really irritated at taking 6 hours out of my day and draining a whole gas tank for absolutely nothing positive for me. It really turned me off. Since that year I have only chased 2 times, including 0 chases in 2022. I wonder if some of the older folks simply "got their fill" of the dark side of mother nature and decided it wasn't something they wanted to prioritize in their dwindling time alive. I have also discovered other passions that are more dependable (such as mountain hiking in the summer) that have taken a substantial share of the energy I once devoted to storm chasing. But tying this back into the main topic, social media probably only had a second- or third-order impact on this particular aspect of my reduced participation.
</off-topic drift, sorry>

I don't think it's off topic too much to say that "life" has to be a part of the overall sub-dermal equation of something like "passion/hobby" such as storm chasing is. When your passion is high, you're researching more intensely, your wallet is aimed there as well. I certainly think that your source location is a heavy contributing factor in the mathematics of expense to get to where your hobby lies. (coming from Australia vs. coming from SC, or actually living in the plains all of the time.)

Before social media hit hard, I assumed chasing was tant amount to the Skull and Bones society, where no one really knew about going on trips to stare into the abyss unless you had "special access", with gatherings at a certain secret location, inside universities, clubs, a certain restaurant, a clue in weather magazines. I assumed the groups were undoubtedly small with only the hard-core hobbyists/experts paying the fees or students doing papers that were economically supportive for it.

Over time, TWC's entrance certainly influenced pre-computer/internet (social/media) to focus on storms, severe, NSSL was a whole new phraseology that opened pandoras box to the world of Severe weather. As time went on, sensing/directing technology became cheaper/available for the masses, and the spread/increase in internet tech/speed increased, seemingly, the sustained and larger factors of outside forces of economics/life position (gas, plane tickets, rentals individual or group sharing the costs when juxtaposed to the individual's life factors of age, experience, family, health, personal drive and dedication may also have evolved. I would say this is kind of boiler plate for everyone, it just has a variable effect on each person I think.

A loose construct

A Civilian tornado chase hobby is formed.
- costs of hobby over time
- dedication over time (study / conference, skills, certificates)
- success vs. failure (define success or failure in a hobby)
- life change factors/influence
- outside forces/factors (Economics, illness, family obligations)

Your job is also your hobby (Meteorologist)
- I may get paid to do my job/hobby
- changes the dedication, if you love your job.
- Life change factors (career growth/personal growth)
- outside forces/factors
- Success Vs. failure (No meteorologist is 100% all the time; but the pursuit drives many)

So, in a sense and agnostic to social media behaviors, trends, effects on actions, psychii and all of the distractions, "life" and your position and status within it, is actually a real part of this endeavor many of us want and try to lead. I consider chasing in its purest sense a form of a ying/yang science/spiritual connection. that may be a silly concept for some, but I think it plays a part in what draws me to it.

On a separate note:
One thing Jeff mentioned that just suddenly sparked a thought was 2017 to now drought in Severe Weather. Has there been any correlation to Decadal Ocean cycles that influence Severe Weather droughts?

Last edited:
Interesting points. I think the only reason I'm still hanging on, along with a handful of 35+ year veterans is because I'm still the adventure junkie I've been since age 9-10 when an elementary school teacher wrote on my report card, "Warren spends way too much time looking out the window instead of looking at books," or something like that.

I've driven through Earth, TX, Boise City, OK and Lamar, Colorado more times than I can count, but I still enjoy passing through countless, familiar intersections and towns that have barely changed since I began chasing tornadoes in 1987. As Jeff and others have noted, the odds of encountering something like Campo has faded in recent years -- but it's not zero odds. The difference is that I'm no longer going bonkers, pulling the handle of the tornado slot machine like a rabid monkey. A good steak and Weller bourbon after a chase with old friends is a fine reward on a bust day. I'm not going to sell a picture for $30k now days!

I generally no longer care about what occurs on social media, unless it's something positive that contributes to my journeys, education or enjoyment. I have little concern anymore about the idiot clown division (ICD) of storm chasing. Those entities are blocked and / or removed from my social media apps and thoughts, as though the Men in Black zapped me with the memory eraser.

There may indeed be a bit of a drop in people chasing setups outside their local area. Part of that may be the time factor as Jeff alluded to. That’s seems to be a factor in fewer people volunteering for anything nowadays. It’s a rare volunteer fire department that’s fully staffed now.

It may be changing soon if the movie Tornadoes, referred to as Twisters 2, is a big success. The original movie increased interest in storm chasing that just doesn’t happen every day. On a personal note, I get asked a lot to take people chasing all the time. I can’t do it, but there already is a strong amount of people who would love to go chasing. They just need a bit of a nudge to take the next step.

I wonder if some of the older folks simply "got their fill" of the dark side of mother nature and decided it wasn't something they wanted to prioritize in their dwindling time alive.

I don’t consider myself one of the “older folks”… Although I am older than some on here, I think of the “older folks” as those who started chasing well before me. That group includes people that are older in age, as well as the same age. Anyway, that’s just for context. As my chronological age also advances, and my own time dwindles, I can actually say I’d like to prioritize chasing *more*, not less. It’s something I remain passionate about, and I regret having only been able to do it a lousy two weeks per year. Add up the weeks of my chasing career, and they barely add up to one full year, and of course that does not mean a year of actual chase days. After sacrificing for career and family all these years, I hope for the opportunity to chase more - currently through a remote working arrangement, and soon enough (3-5 years?) in retirement. (Although, to the point about bad seasons, I had the ability to work remotely for the first time in 2023 but still left after just two weeks because nothing was happening - until the unusually late activity that seemed to keep going, but after I needed to be back home).

I seriously thought of quitting out of frustration back in 2019, but that feeling didn’t last long. At this point I think I’m pretty committed and can’t see stopping. That doesn’t mean I’m super hard-core though. Even on chase vacations there are days I’ll pass on. I never forgot that my chase trips were also supposed to be vacations, and as such I was never willing to (for example) drive six hours for a marginal setup if I would then have to drive six hours back to where I started for Day 2. And once I’m home from a chase trip, there are many other things I prefer to spend time on than studying technical meteorology to become a better forecaster. Studying technical material is simply not enjoyable, if I even had the time and energy, after 10+ hour days of financial work capped off by a trip to the gym, dinner, and next thing you know it’s already 8pm (and my alarm is set for 5am). But a more structured approach to chase-related learning is something I’d like to spend more time on in retirement.

Just wanted to chip in, but on a personal level as someone who lives outside of the US (UK), social media is pretty important to my passion of storm chasing. Growing up I was always fascinating by Meteorology and my whole life was dedicated to taking the path to becoming a weather forecaster. I'm so lucky to be in the position I am now.

Thunderstorms in particular, have always been my number one passion in my life. I grew up watching Storm Chasers on Discovery all the time, and as I grew up and obtained access to social media that passion has only continued to grow. Seeing incredible footage online of severe thunderstorms or tornadoes has always been motivating for me to do what I've always dreamed of doing and that is chasing in the US. As someone who lives in the UK, social media simply allows me to stay involved in the storm chasing/weather community of the US and without it, I would be less informed and I expect my passion for storm chasing would be considerably lower.

Fortunately, I managed to go chasing in the US last May and despite the relatively poor synoptics, it was genuinely everything I'd dreamed of and social media has been a huge part of that. I'm so hooked to US Storm Chasing that I am booked to go out to the US again in a months time. Quite frankly the more I see online, the more I'd love to work in the US one day too, ideally as a meteorologist that also has the ability to go out in the field but I have no idea if this passion are viewed with rose-tinted glasses.

No idea if this is insightful but was hoping some of you may have been interested in an "outsiders" view.

Solid point to the positive on what Social Media can do when distance is amplified from country to country. I feel the same way about Australian Storms in the Outback and have wanted to chase there, as well as South America (for lightning). how often do you get to chase in Europe?, say from France to Poland? or down in the Med where I've seen a lot of reporting of waterspout activity. The ESWD keeps a SPC like track of severe weather/reports over there and it seems liked it's been fairly active over the past 5 years.

Solid point to the positive on what Social Media can do when distance is amplified from country to country. I feel the same way about Australian Storms in the Outback and have wanted to chase there, as well as South America (for lightning). how often do you get to chase in Europe?, say from France to Poland? or down in the Med where I've seen a lot of reporting of waterspout activity. The ESWD keeps a SPC like track of severe weather/reports over there and it seems liked it's been fairly active over the past 5 years.
I can't say I've been chasing in Europe yet, for me the US was always classed as the best of the best so that was always going to be the dream for me. That saying, the more I learn about the meteorology over Europe, the more I'm tempted to fly out for a few days should there be a big severe weather outbreak in the near-future.

Having driven over a lot of Western-Central Europe, the road networks while swift, aren't in easy box formations like the Mid-West US , so I would have to imagine it not being the easiest to navigate when off of the A roads. Small towns, a speed limit changes, cameras in certain areas lol.. but I think it could be done, just have to plan differently, if there is a big event, I hope you take some pic's to share!

Having driven over a lot of Western-Central Europe, the road networks while swift, aren't in easy box formations like the Mid-West US , so I would have to imagine it not being the easiest to navigate when off of the A roads. Small towns, a speed limit changes, cameras in certain areas lol.. but I think it could be done, just have to plan differently, if there is a big event, I hope you take some pic's to share!

Not to mention borders, language changes, and all the rest of it!

It's interesting that I recognize a couple of those names from older threads here, so you're point is well taken. Having only been a member here for short time, it feels like there has been slight uptick in participation with respect to Event threads, so hopefully that continues. I know I've been trying to add to the discussion where my novice ability allows, and I'd encourage newer members to do the same, as it's a great way to learn from some very smart people.... even if that means getting things wrong, and being politely corrected.

I'd be curious to know the reasoning of why those individuals no longer post here, although I suspect Jeff is correct, and likes are the driving force. It could be as simple as a copy and paste from their original social media post, but maybe it's not worth the effort of keeping up with multiple communities, which I can also understand. I often wonder about people's reasons for no longer visiting here when it seems they were very active for a decent amount of time. I'm sure those reasons run the gamut of possibilities, but I have noticed a lot of last log in dates from around June of 2013..... I can only guess some of those were folks who became disillusioned with chasing after the events of El Reno. I find the history of this site and those who've contributed to it to be fascinating, and it shows that the overall activity ebbs and flows with the seasons, as well as with popular culture. If we keep enjoying the community we have here, I think it stands a good chance of holding it's own with social media.

For me, I'm more apt to post an offhanded or random comment on a setup on Twitter/X while reserving a more thought-out post for here. Maybe that's a perception issue from legacy rules? Agreed on that type of content being valuable here.

I think posting those things here might actually garner more viewers than on social media, given that people have to *follow you* on social media to see it to begin with. Much worse is if you're not a consistently-popular poster, the algorithm won't even show your post to most of your followers anyway unless they're one of the few that manually force-maintain the chronological timeline option. I think ST's stats might confirm my suspicion that many more people than we think are regularly lurking here.

Might not be true, but I'd have to agree that there has been a definite uptick in posts, not only vs recent activity through the winter season but I'd say compared to years past during active storm seasons and the number of different posters seems to be up. It's a positive sign and as they say when you're down four touchdowns at halftime, you don't get it all back at once, but one score at a time.

It's probably a bit of a vicious circle. There's an audience on social media waiting to consume what is posted, which encourages the posts. This place has lacked an audience, but with more activity as we've seen recently that audience is likely to grow if it isn't already because content is being offered. Veteran involvement is critical, but it's also just as important for recreational chasers, newbie chasers, chase-cationers, full timers and old timers, etc. to give input and not be shy about it. That audience and their response is what's going to encourage not only interaction and activity, but quality posts.

Again, you don't have to compete with social media, you can have an alternate entity that can co-exist with it and actually be more appealing if you allow it to happen.

A list of recent quality posts from one social media platform that I wish would occur here:

All of these posts have at least a dozen likes and some shares and replies. We just can't compete with that neurological reward-center activation. Le sigh.
Guilty as charged, although I've resolved to post more long form discussions here for Plains events I'm interested in this year (and have done so a few times already).

I try to keep short form, snarky, low-value, marginally rational bitching about the season like my post today off of ST. But, you can all rest assured that longer form versions of precisely the same thing will be forthcoming from me this week on ST. :cool:

A list of recent quality posts from one social media platform that I wish would occur here:
I guess we could post like this on ST, but I think the style of those posts are more suited to Discord or TwittX.

Some of those posts you featured seemed like they could go into an Event thread, but I would not ever think to start an Event thread for Thursday until it came into range of some of the higher-resolution models. (Maybe I disrespect the GFS too much.)

Anyway...2-3 days out for the past few events, even the NAM seems to show knife-sharp drylines with strong solenoidal circulations that promise "monster supercells"...only to see those drylines become more diffuse with time...the solenoidal circulations diminish, etc. That certainly inhibits hyping an event until it gets closer.

For me, I'm more apt to post an offhanded or random comment on a setup on Twitter/X while reserving a more thought-out post for here. Maybe that's a perception issue from legacy rules? Agreed on that type of content being valuable here.
Completely agree. Regardless of the official rules here, I'm not likely to do a drive-by snark post in an event or serious discussion thread here. I feel that's probably best for everyone involved, and in any case, it's not my style.

I think posting those things here might actually garner more viewers than on social media, given that people have to *follow you* on social media to see it to begin with. Much worse is if you're not a consistently-popular poster, the algorithm won't even show your post to most of your followers anyway unless they're one of the few that manually force-maintain the chronological timeline option. I think ST's stats might confirm my suspicion that many more people than we think are regularly lurking here.
You've just nailed what's driven me up the wall whenever I've attempted to treat Twitter/X as the public square of real-time weather/chasing discussion (which it unfortunately is, in many ways).

The vicious cycle we've lamented in this thread is so much more pernicious than it seems on the surface. It's bad enough that people are incentivized to stay on SM instead of niche forums. It's further bad enough that snarky, low-value posts on SM are the most reliably rewarded, tempting most people to divert a lot of their effort and attention toward making tons of those posts. But most depressingly, all of that is completely inseparable from the quality and tenor of the more serious weather discussion on SM, too.

See, if you don't snark and smarm and virtue signal and spend a dozen hours per week trying to ingratiate yourself into the #wxtwitter social scene, then even your high-value posts are almost invisible. Meanwhile, the popular accounts can post questionable "analysis," and it rockets to the top of everyone's feed within minutes. Said "analysis" then strongly influences the hundreds or thousands of newer, younger, less educated #wxtwitter users... many of whom get the impression from SM that a few popular accounts are unimpeachable authorities on the current state of the science. And they get that impression in part because even a lot of the true experts tend to fawn over them, almost as if the aura of Twitter popularity is an aphrodisiac not even PhDs can overcome.

To me, all this illustrates one of the most underrated dangers of modern SM: the ease with which the perception of credibility and knowledge in a particular field can be grossly distorted, usually by giving those outside a field the impression that expertise is highly concentrated in a few messiah-like figures who are good at gaming the algorithm and social dynamics. There are probably several hundred academics and research meteorologists in the U.S. whose careers have focused on severe convective storms. But for the vast majority of us, our content is overlooked when we do post, in part because the small handful of "social dynamics game winners" are sucking all the oxygen out of the room. It's not that I envy their online popularity; they can have that. It's just a shame that the serious side of SM is so tightly coupled to the parasocial, snark-driven side that tends to dominate most of people's attention spans.

In fact, this makes me realize this is probably a serious issue in almost every field (medicine, political analysis, you name it)... and that I'm probably guilty myself of giving the few accounts I follow in each of those areas undue credibility, rather than trying to sample a broader swath of experts. Yikes.

Brett's post above encapsulates and reinforces why I have never been on Twitter/X and never will. Their character limits literally force any post to be superficial, with no serious discussion or analysis. Which of course has the effect of encouraging snarkiness. I do post on Facebook, which I know has a lot of the same algorithms that limit who gets to see what post, but at least there is no word limit. That said, when it comes to weather, chasing, and earth science, ST is better than any SM site and is my first place to go when it comes to either posting or reading other people's posts about these subject areas. It is indeed good to see increased activity here this year, and I would like to think that this thread is part of the reason.

Brett, I'll admit I "called you out" (in a sense...I wasn't intending to be accusatory or inflammatory in the slightest) because I sensed you might respond here, hehe. But I'm glad you did, because you just posted some gold in here! I wish I could "pin" some of your responses quoted below to the top of this thread as a means of highlighting some of the best takeaways from this thread.
See, if you don't snark and smarm and virtue signal and spend a dozen hours per week trying to ingratiate yourself into the #wxtwitter social scene, then even your high-value posts are almost invisible. Meanwhile, the popular accounts can post questionable "analysis," and it rockets to the top of everyone's feed within minutes. Said "analysis" then strongly influences the hundreds or thousands of newer, younger, less educated #wxtwitter users... many of whom get the impression from SM that a few popular accounts are unimpeachable authorities on the current state of the science. And they get that impression in part because even a lot of the true experts tend to fawn over them, almost as if the aura of Twitter popularity is an aphrodisiac not even PhDs can overcome.
I have noticed this myself a lot. Twitter (and now that I'm on Bluesky, even there, too) tends to be full of posts by prominent accounts who live on out-of-context zingers. Such an ethos probably led to the proliferation of "_No_Context_YadaYadaYada" accounts on Twitter (and starting to see it on X, too). Sometimes the accounts are pretty tame and not full of high-strung, topical content. But many are. And if you're not up-to-the-moment informed as to what has gone on in popular culture or politics, you'll often have no idea to what the post refers. It's really annoying to have to try to guess what people are getting at. But the snarkier, the more attention it will receive.

Also great point about the dogmatism that arises when certain accounts become popular. People equate popularity with authority for some reason, and the filtering begins (i.e., anytime the popular account actually posts something factually inaccurate or out-of-touch, the "stans" rush to defend it anyway by attempting to force the inaccuracy to become the truth. That, or they tell anyone who calls it out a horrible name and to GTFO or otherwise flame them). So then even the true experts on a subject feel like they can't touch this popular account anymore.

I haven't noticed too many of the true experts fawning over popular accounts. Some here and there, but maybe that's because I make a conscious effort to keep my head down and resist getting pulled into the influence of those popular accounts. I started doing that in 2021.

To me, all this illustrates one of the most underrated dangers of modern SM: the ease with which the perception of credibility and knowledge in a particular field can be grossly distorted, usually by giving those outside a field the impression that expertise is highly concentrated in a few messiah-like figures who are good at gaming the algorithm and social dynamics. There are probably several hundred academics and research meteorologists in the U.S. whose careers have focused on severe convective storms. But for the vast majority of us, our content is overlooked when we do post, in part because the small handful of "social dynamics game winners" are sucking all the oxygen out of the room. It's not that I envy their online popularity; they can have that. It's just a shame that the serious side of SM is so tightly coupled to the parasocial, snark-driven side that tends to dominate most of people's attention spans.

Yes! OMG, Yes! And this represents such a discrepancy with the 1990s when the internet started gaining widespread usage and popularity. People called it the "information superhighway" because it opened up a wealth of knowledge to so many more people (rather than having to spend $1000 on a set of Encyclopedias or needing personal connections to experts, for example). With social media starting in the 2010s, the actual mass of "information" (in the sense of organized bits of localized negative entropy that are hypothesized to be inexorably destroyed within a black hole) has continued to rise exponentially, but the utility or knowledge component of that information has tanked. So much of what people post on social media is almost immediately of no use to anyone and is not worthy of being stored.
sideways dystopian rant; feel free to skip said:
But of course, the social media companies discovered that credit card companies, shopping companies, and malicious actors will open their wallet to this trove of useless "information", and so they began constructing O($100 million) data centers to store all of that crap on servers that companies like OpenAI later came along to use to train the first generation of impressively-able generative AI systems. I still say that information is pretty useless to humans, but this is the way the world is going now.

Getting back to my point - there is a lot of mis- and dis-information in all that information content being tossed into the servers of these social media companies. So, unlike the 1990s, the firehose of information coming at us is tainted with incorrect, misleading, or even malicious information, rather than the more encyclopedic knowledge that I believe would truly lead to an improvement in our society overall (rather than just making certain companies absurdly wealthy). And the sciences (even the physical sciences) are caught well within that web of tainted information. It sucks. It really does.

The illustrative SM posts that Jeff posted above may contain some credible insights, but they demonstrate even more the deficiencies of SM compared to ST. How much more useful would those posts be if they were long-form, and curated within a specific EVENT thread or the State of the Season thread? Reading a stream on X, one might see a post about Thursday, followed by a more general post about the upcoming pattern, followed by another post about Thursday, and maybe one about cats in between. Or, to others’ point, you may not see the posts at all due to algorithmically generated streams.

The bigger question is why some of those names do not or will not post here. It doesn’t even have to be instead of X if they love it so much; post both places if you want. It’s hard to believe that serious scientists need publicity or are motivated by likes. Author Cal Newport, who studies technology’s impact on culture, personally refrains from any SM usage and claims that when you produce quality work, you will be found by the people that matter. I seem to recall him citing a study that found no correlation between SM popularity and citations in scientific papers. There are lots of poseurs on SM, but at some point the quality has to be there, and true quality will be discovered with or without SM.

Further to Jeff’s immediately preceding post, now we have AI generated content based on SM crap content, and when we see it spit out by ChatGPT we don’t even know the source. We have no context at all to judge credibility.

Back