the countdown is on

There are two definitions of chase season since becoming a student again. The pre-finals chase season begins whenever I get in my car for the first time in an attempt to see a storm, usually sometime in late February. The real chase season will start really late for me this year after my last final on May 13th. :(

I like opening acts in March and April, too. If I can keep myself from chasing either of those two months it will be the first time in many years. Not likely.

But May.....lol.

May is when the circus comes to town.

Truthfully I could of said Jan 12 was my start to storm season but thats really not true, but it was a fun time. saw some lightning and a wonderful shelf cloud just south of Gary IN. of course no TORs. The XM WX did give a few SCIT markers though one was almost right on top of us.

Any way I'd say March 1st, to be the first day of Storm Season

Amos i thought you were saying you might not start till Mid May this year. Do i hear some hopeful thinking about the end of School ahead.

Kurt,

Since I graduate in May, it might be very hard for me to get out of here before mid-May, yes. I'm going to try, but it's possible I'll be made to stay until some paperwork or ceremony or other nonsense is completed. That's a trauma I can't handle thinking about right now--LOL. May 1 is about as far away as I can stand.

AM

I've noticed that storm season tends to move.

February & March - storms across the Deep South, Mississippi, Alabamba, Georgia, maybe Tennesee and the Carolinas.

March - the pattern moves west towards Arkansas, Louisiana, E. Texas.

April - Southern Plains up into Kansas and Colorado.

May - still focused on Southern Plains, but grows north and east.

June - tapers off in Southern Plains, but still strong from Nebraska and east to Great Lakes.

Of course, storms go where they will, when they will. This is just what I've generally noticed about where and when the most activity occurs.

The time of the peak definitely varies by region and from year to year, but it's no contest, May is the best bet for the most and the best (generally more isolated, slower moving, etc.) storms over a huge area of the Plains (and elsewhere). Almost everyone makes their chase vacations in May. Certainly storms can and do occur anytime throughout the year, but May 1 heralds the bulk of the chase season.

Hoperfully after finals rush in early May ;-)

Scott

I was just telling folks around the station it's about time to start paying attention to the forecasts again. :wink: Although I get watches/warnings by email at home and work (and have InterWarn running to page them to me) year-round, I actually start my storm season routine sometime between Feb 15 and March 1, depending on how storm season is progressing in the south (it's a bit late this year).

Now when it comes to class, I'm glad I have the online option...all my courses each spring are online, so I have flexibilty for storm season :D

Back