The case for hail shields - why I'm adding them

One important point to make about the use of the hail shield is its ability to allow you to get out of bad situations... even if you got into the "bad" situation on purpose (core punching or hook slicing). Some people have mentioned that if you chase strategically and avoid core punching, then you will most likely avoid hail hitting your vehicle. But, just like core punching allows you to possibly get a better view of a tornado, once you're in a tight spot, the hail shield may allow you to get out of it without much concern. I'm thinking of a situation where you don't even core punch: you suddenly find yourself with a limited choice of road options, and you have a tornado in one direction and large hail in another. A tough hail shield makes your exit route through the hail much less serious or intimidating.

I would also like to point out that any potential hail shield that uses lexan over the side windows will also protect from debris. My hail shield has 3/4 inch polycarbonate for side window protection. If I would have had that in El Reno, I wouldn't have had all my side windows busted out when I got caught going south on highway 81. So, getting into "good" positions and getting out of "bad" situations gives the hail shield a dual purpose.

Back