• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Replacing sunroof glass with metal?

My last 2 cars have had sunroofs (not by choice, they were just included on that particular model). I never use them, so I was curious if any of you have replaced the glass with metal or some other material that can withstand large hail strikes? The hail shield rig I built for my previous car included protection for the sunroof, but I'd like to avoid that to save weight.

Dan, my old Grand Cherokee and my new RAV4 both have sunroofs. I cut a 1/4" thick piece of Lexan large enough to cover the sunroof, attached several 400 lb magnets in the right place after testing lessor pull weights against oncoming truck winds and that I still use that. I'm going to do the same for the new RAV4. This time with some rubber feet on the magnets though. As you can imagine that was tough on the roof paint, but after all these years just fits in the hail dents. This has the bonus of being removable after chases so you can enjoy the sunroof still.

Back