Storm Chasing Vehicle Project and Suggestions!

This is on point. Just because I have the ability, doesn't mean I'm always going to use it. But if I were to ever get in a situation where I do need it, I'll be glad as heck i have it.

This would have saved everything. Even though your being coddled, I hope you do realize where the concerns came from. Yeah they may have been a tiny bit brash, but certainly not as bad as the overly-sensitive ones make it out to be. The concerns were/are genuine. Just a few posts back Marc said you blocked him in CO right? Anyway, try not to take things personally, especially when nobody personally attacked you. I have nothing against you at all. I even stated in chat that if I could afford an $80,000 truck and the gas it takes, I probably would do the same. Although my post would have started with "My truck is a fuggin BEAST!" Anyway, good luck and be safe.

This would have saved everything. Even though your being coddled, I hope you do realize where the concerns came from. Yeah they may have been a tiny bit brash, but certainly not as bad as the overly-sensitive ones make it out to be. The concerns were/are genuine. Just a few posts back Marc said you blocked him in CO right? Anyway, try not to take things personally, especially when nobody personally attacked you. I have nothing against you at all. I even stated in chat that if I could afford an $80,000 truck and the gas it takes, I probably would do the same. Although my post would have started with "My truck is a fuggin BEAST!" Anyway, good luck and be safe.

Your posts have gotten a lot more respectful as this thread has gone on, so thank you for that. But yeah, I accidentally blocked Marc on the Denver storm; there was almost no one on the road at the time, so I stopped for my passengers to take a few quick pictures, not realizing he was coming up on me. Once he passed I realized I had made a mistake and pulled over to get out of the way. Most of the criticism on here I haven't posted personally, but Marcus's wording made his first post very personal, whether it was meant to be or not, especially in the last paragraph. And just fyi, even if the sponsored parts were paid for out of my pocket, I still wouldn't hit $60,000 worth of modifications :) If I had 80k to drop on the truck I would have made my own personal TIV, lol. Good luck to you as well, sir!

Just to clarify, he didn't "block me", so to speak, his truck is just so damn big that on rural dirt road that monster takes up more than half the available space.

I was more making a point about chasers in general being aware of their vehicle and not only its limitations to them, but to others around them.

Ive been in sticky situations where its been nobody's fault really. Like when three vehicles are attempting to pull out onto the highway. All three are waiving each other to go, being polite. Everyone gets confused and takes off at the same time, then out of nowhere a fourth vehicle cuts us all off... lol.

Started to make design the roof rack in which the hail guards will be kept in, until they hinge down over the windows.

Basic Roof Rack Sketches
Basic.jpg

Crude cardboard and duct tape base model of the first layer of the roof rack starting to come together.. Hoping to finish the rest tomorrow so we can start cutting the steel for real

Crude.jpg

What materials and hardware are you using for the guard portion and how are you securing it when it's hinged down? I'm interested lately because I'm in the market.

I bought a Rola extended roof basket for my Forester with similar ambitions.

Was planning to use polycarb or expanded metal for shields, and use quick fist grabbers and coated neodymium magnets, but this plan has not materialized yet.

Forester has big windows and a very large glass moonroof...but so far I've managed to simply stay out the bigger hail.

I'm late to this discussion but reading the parts about driving on mud, having lived on the plains my entire life and chased on every type of dirt and mud in just about every kind of vehicle you can imagine over 30 years, I feel like I can offer some valid input.

I've found through extensive experience with it, sometimes with some negative results, when it comes to mud and chasing, the best course of action it to know where it has rained in your future planned route, even a day or two before there could have been lots of it and rural roads flooded out or worse washed out all together, and avoid it them completely!

That said, I've found front wheel drive vehicle outperformed 4 wheel drive trucks on the mud...to a point. Some of the mud on the plains, particularly in the Texas Panhandle/South Plains area, it's not the sinking into the mud, or even so much the sliding into the sometimes really deep ditches you have a problem with so much as that stuff gets like wet concrete and cakes up and cakes up until packs up on your wheels and wheel wells so much the tires loose the ability to even turn any more. Last time that happened, I was in a minivan, and made it several miles further than the two tornado tanks, a 4 wheel drive Tahoe that was along with me and several pickup and SUVs, and still I eventually succumbed to it.

The absolute last place I want to find myself anywhere near a tornado is on a road getting rain or already muddy. Too many things can and will go wrong. It only takes once.

I ran a big crew cab truck last two years. Gas mileage was a killer. I thought I wouldn't mind because I could afford it, but I did mind quiet a bit by the time the season was over.

I've also run into all kinds of skick muddy conditions, including that crap in kansas in the style David is describing, where the wheel wells just pack up. I carry a camp shovel and a giant flat head screwdriver to help clear the muck.

Had to buy a pressure washer to get it off the car.

I've had good luck thus far with my forester keeping me moving and not in any ditches, but I've learned enough to turn around if I think a road is too much. Especially and i chase almost exclusively alone. I think the light weight, short wheelbase, and awd really gives me an advantage.

On the mud note: has anyone tried NeverWet in their wheel wells? I think ill give it a try this year to see if it helps.

DD is right, Front wheel drive performs just as well as 4wd in most cases. In fact, youre not supposed to use 4wd until you are stuck, and thats about all I ever turn mine on for. The disadvantage to that is that when the 4wd is not engaged, most of those vehicles are RWD (as is the case with mine) which is the wost for mud and slippery roads. I use my 4wd sparingly, but its always gotten me out of a situation when I needed it to (except for that damn Bowdle, SD field.)

What materials and hardware are you using for the guard portion and how are you securing it when it's hinged down? I'm interested lately because I'm in the market.

I'm using Smittybilt Defender Roof rack mounts to mount them to the top of the truck
IMG_5358.png

Mounts.jpg

For the rack itself, along with the framework for the hailguards, I'm using 1x1" steel tubing. All of the windows will be lexan, except the windshield, which will be expanded metal. I'll be making models for the hail guards as well to make sure they look alright before we cut the steel, so I will post those when done as well. I'm making mounts on the outside of the door so the guards can be secured from the inside using a simple pull pin.

Pullpin.jpg

The front windshield guard will most likely be the same for now, although in the future I would like to use hydraulics.

We're hoping to have them completed and mounted by the end of January, so stay tuned and I'll post an in depth video on them.

I bought a Rola extended roof basket for my Forester with similar ambitions.

Was planning to use polycarb or expanded metal for shields, and use quick fist grabbers and coated neodymium magnets, but this plan has not materialized yet.

Forester has big windows and a very large glass moonroof...but so far I've managed to simply stay out the bigger hail.

We contemplated using magnets for a while, but decided against it. With the design we wanted to use, stronger magnets made it too hard to open from the inside, and weaker ones were too susceptible to stronger winds

I'm also considering hail shields for this season. We had another thread going last year about hail guards we might want to resurrect: http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?30333-Hail-Shield-Build-Help

"I sometimes wonder why Twistex chased..." Per a National Geographic article, "They decided to switch from the heavy-duty truck to the high-gas-mileage Cobalt." Other context in that article suggesting it was a fuel economy decision, too. http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/11/biggest-storm/draper-text
- Mike Szentes

Just as a little added info, part of the reason they switched from the GMC 2500 to the cobalt was because they were using the 2500 for lightning research

I'm late to this discussion but reading the parts about driving on mud, having lived on the plains my entire life and chased on every type of dirt and mud in just about every kind of vehicle you can imagine over 30 years, I feel like I can offer some valid input.

I've found through extensive experience with it, sometimes with some negative results, when it comes to mud and chasing, the best course of action it to know where it has rained in your future planned route, even a day or two before there could have been lots of it and rural roads flooded out or worse washed out all together, and avoid it them completely!

That said, I've found front wheel drive vehicle outperformed 4 wheel drive trucks on the mud...to a point. Some of the mud on the plains, particularly in the Texas Panhandle/South Plains area, it's not the sinking into the mud, or even so much the sliding into the sometimes really deep ditches you have a problem with so much as that stuff gets like wet concrete and cakes up and cakes up until packs up on your wheels and wheel wells so much the tires loose the ability to even turn any more. Last time that happened, I was in a minivan, and made it several miles further than the two tornado tanks, a 4 wheel drive Tahoe that was along with me and several pickup and SUVs, and still I eventually succumbed to it.

The absolute last place I want to find myself anywhere near a tornado is on a road getting rain or already muddy. Too many things can and will go wrong. It only takes once.

I ran a big crew cab truck last two years. Gas mileage was a killer. I thought I wouldn't mind because I could afford it, but I did mind quiet a bit by the time the season was over.

Thanks for the response! I have quite a bit of experience with all different kinds of wet mud and clay myself, so for the most part, I'm familiar with the best ways to get by. My biggest problem will floating on top of the mud with the 4 big tires in the back, but I have plans to help weigh them down a little. The tires that I have are the closest thing that you can have without going to a full on mud tire as well. Momentum will be my best friend. When I lifted the truck, I didn't just add height; I completely beefed up the suspension, about as far as I could go, so if I do manage to find myself sliding into a ditch, I can keep on the gas enough to keep going, without having to worry about damaging anything. My biggest problem will be pulling off for a pit stop and finding myself in deeper mud than anticipated. I've driven around a few local places here and buried the rear wheels in 2wd, and switched to 4wd and gotten out without much of a problem at all, so I'm hoping I can keep that streak alive. I think the combination of having an extremely heavy front end, from the Duramax and aftermarket bumper, and a lighter rear end with much more tread will work for my advantage in most situations. I found a spot I can go this spring and test out basically any situation I may be put into, so I'll let you know how that goes.

And if I remember right, you had a red 1500 with stock light duty all terrain tires, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Roof rack cardboard model is finished, as well as cardboard frames for side hail guards! The front, non rectangular hail guard will be permanently mounted to the door while chasing. It will only have 3 sides of steel tubing, the back will be held together just with the lexan covering, to prevent vision from being impaired. The guards that hinge down from the rack will be locked into a lock we will mount right below the window, using a simple pull pin. I have a few ideas in mind, but still currently trying to think of the optimal way to lower the guards down fully (since they cannot be lowered fully with the door open). So until I come up with the design, they will slide up and down the top of the doors as they open and close. Good thing I have rhino lining!

FullSizeRender13.jpg
FullSizeRender14.jpg

FullSizeRender12.jpg

FullSizeRender11.jpg

FullSizeRender17.jpg

FullSizeRender16.jpg

Questions or opinions EXTREMELY welcome, as they may lead me to improve on my design.

I would just go the "Security film" route on those side windows and work on an overhang for the windshield. Verne Carlson had really good luck with that stuff on his windows of the Rhino. Believe it held up to baseballs. I just see that being too big of a headache if they are not hooked 100% to the door, completely seperate from the roof rack.

I would just go the "Security film" route on those side windows and work on an overhang for the windshield. Verne Carlson had really good luck with that stuff on his windows of the Rhino. Believe it held up to baseballs. I just see that being too big of a headache if they are not hooked 100% to the door, completely seperate from the roof rack.

I'm still making a guard for the windshield, ran out of duct tape, lol. One of the reasons that I chose full on steel and lexan guards instead of something like security film is for penetration protection. The 1/4" lexan can withstand smaller caliber bullets, so it should suffice for hail and any other debris being blown up into us. I may end up adding security film as well in the future, especially on the front windshield, but in my opinion, when it comes to safety, there really isn't any "overdoing" it.

The side hail guards also won't be used very often at all. It will take 3 people roughly 60 seconds to get all 5 hail guards down and locked. They'll be stored up in the roof rack until we get into chase mode, so they wont be in the way. I'm also designing a way they can be easily lifted up and locked horizontally, to make photography a lot easier.

If your not using them much, then it wont be a big deal. Would get really annoying if you got in and out a lot with them down. A pulley and a rope could make lifting real easy, from in the car even (with the window down). You definitely dont want to get stuck trying to deploy those when you dont have a minute or 2 to spare.

Just have to be careful or you truck will end up looking like this -
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8027_5-10-10.jpg
    IMG_8027_5-10-10.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 145
If your not using them much, then it wont be a big deal. Would get really annoying if you got in and out a lot with them down. A pulley and a rope could make lifting real easy, from in the car even (with the window down). You definitely dont want to get stuck trying to deploy those when you dont have a minute or 2 to spare.

Just have to be careful or you truck will end up looking like this -
attachment.php

Or this!
Avoid.jpg

Although this isn't close to as bad lol. But yeah, I would rather have them and never need them, than need them and not have them. I've tried to come up with a pulley or winch idea, but so far can't come up with an optimal way to do it. If we were to make a pulley system with only one pulley, I think it would still be too much force needed to lift the guard. Anything more than one pulley would look goofy, and be at risk for hail damage.

Also, if we were to use a pulley system, it would only help with moving the hail guard one way. Either down or up

Spent 8 hours today grinding and cleaning off rust, cutting, and cleaning up the cuts for the side hail guards and the roof rack. Hopefully we will have the roof rack mounted 2 weekends from now so we can measure out specs for the front windshield hail guard, and get the lights mounted!

HailGuards.jpg

Also got an email from Iron Cross Automotive today confirming that the bumpers have been shipped, so those should be installed within the month as well :)

Back