Storm Chasing Vehicle Project and Suggestions!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I often am, but it's my understanding the winds increase from from the ground going up to a certain point. If so, is that because of things like bushes breaking the wind? I'm sure somebody out there has an informed answer to that. If so, a lower vehicle wouldn't be subject to as strong of winds.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I often am, but it's my understanding the winds increase from from the ground going up to a certain point. If so, is that because of things like bushes breaking the wind? I'm sure somebody out there has an informed answer to that. If so, a lower vehicle wouldn't be subject to as strong of winds.

Yeah you're right, but I'm still scratching my head on where everyone is getting that 4 inches in height makes or breaks the vehicle

Edit: Although the biggest factor in wind speed is the friction from the ground

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think people are trying to figure out why that lift is necessary. And, to be honest, I have to agree. I've had trucks well off even the dirt roads over the years. A muddy pasture is much worse to get in and out of than any water logged dirt road ever dreamed of being. But you don't see farmers putting lift kits on their trucks. It doesn't ultimately change ground clearance because the axles are still the same height above the ground. It's your truck, do whatever you like, but I think that is what people are getting at with their comments. Quite frankly, as someone who goes well past the dirt roads, I tend to give some credence to the points they're making.

Yes I understand. Of course the lift isn't necessary, but its a helpful addition to the package. Lift vs no lift hardly makes a difference in the mud IF you have the same size and make for tires. And yes, your axles are still roughly the same height (Although I get an extra two inches or so from the larger diameter tires). But when it comes to a gully or ditch, extra clearance helps. It also makes the difference in being able to make a U-turn on most dirt roads vs having to make a multiple point turn. I've also gone over a numerous amount of ruts and humps that would have potentially broken my suspension if I hadn't upgraded it. I understand that you have a lot of experience driving your truck on dirt roads, but In just 3 weeks of chasing I've made numerous maneuvers that I wouldn't have been able to make without the lift. It's not necessary, but it's an advantage.

I also want to make it clear that I'm not just brushing everyone's opinions off and not taking them into consideration. But when someone on here comes up and says "My wrx could do that" when it obviously can't, it gets me a bit fired up.

One thing you do need to be VERY careful with if you keep the lift is the fact that it changes your driveline angle. You're not going to be able to pull as big of a trailer because of that. Too much stress after changing that angle (without compensating for it) and you'll tear up either your transmission, rear end, or shatter your driveshaft. Some of those maneuvers you're referring to could be putting stress on your drivetrain that you're not aware of because of those angles. Same goes with pulling guys out of the mud.

I hope you at least had your PCM recalibrated to factor in the bigger tires as well. If not, that's another way to tear up your tranny (and possibly your motor depending on if your PCM factors the VSS in for fuel trims).

That's my big thing with it. It's not as simple as throwing a lift kit on. There are several other things that must be taken to account, and you will sacrifice certain capabilities in the process. I've seen way too many people tear up their trucks and don't want that to happen to you.

And to be fair, you'd be surprised at what those rally type cars can do in the hands of someone who knows how to use their strengths.

Last edited:
One thing you do need to be VERY careful with if you keep the lift is the fact that it changes your driveline angle. You're not going to be able to pull as big of a trailer because of that. Too much stress after changing that angle (without compensating for it) and you'll tear up either your transmission, rear end, or shatter your driveshaft. Some of those maneuvers you're referring to could be putting stress on your drivetrain that you're not aware of because of those angles. Same goes with pulling guys out of the mud.

I hope you at least had your PCM recalibrated to factor in the bigger tires as well. If not, that's another way to tear up your tranny (and possibly your motor depending on if your PCM factors the VSS in for fuel trims).

That's my big thing with it. It's not as simple as throwing a lift kit on. There are several other things that must be taken to account, and you will sacrifice certain capabilities in the process. I've seen way too many people tear up their trucks and don't want that to happen to you.

And to be fair, you'd be surprised at what those rally type cars can do in the hands of someone who knows how to use their strengths.

Thank you for your concern. I'm not at all however new to the truck world. The truck is tuned for the extra 2500lbs of weight and larger tires, and I've regearedwith 4.56s. The lift kit I got isn't just a basic lift. A good amount of stock parts were replaced to correct cv angles and restore ride as close to factory as possible. I've put 100s and 100s of hours of hours of research into everything I've done and a lot of money and man hours so ive been extremely tedious about it as well. And just to cover my ass just in case, before I made any mods to the truck I made posts on 4 separate truck forums similar to this one to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

Side note: David Drummond is lifting his jeep. So I expect all of you to be downtalking him and telling him gow useless of an idea it is

My wrx actually can do that. Minus the pulling, I'd rather keep my drivetrain intact

My car is built and daily driven and still reliable like it was new. I know a thing or two about proper modding

Just becaise you're not new to tje truck world doesn't mean you know what you're doing. I've seen it many many times where someone jumps on the forum saying they're not new to the tuning world and the first thong they do are am abumdance of engine mods without proper tuning and then complain about their cars running like crap and saying they're garbage

A lift helps but is not needed. A good set of tires are key. Although lifting does make room for bogger better wheel and tire combos

The difference between the vans you say are higher than your truck and how they're fine in the wind or whatever was said doesn't mean too much. What's the ground clearance? The last thing you want are winds getting under the vehicle...raising ground clearance increases the amount of wond getting underneath.
The other thing is those cars suspension are designed for that car specifically. If you raise your truck (not into truck modding myself) but you change the entire way the car handles which is more important with winds at whatever speeds

Honestly the only useful thing I see in a lift is protecting your engine from hydrolocking if you still have a cold air intake installed.

I do have to ask what purpose a CAI and exhaust is doing?
Sorry if it sounds like I'm attacking you, that's not what I'm trying to make it sound like. Just trying to wrap my head around the purpose of it. You don't need the extra HP and torque. You have displacement for that, nor are huge numbers relavant for chasing. So the only thing I can thing of is for attention?

Also post more pics of truck please

Oh also, was the truck dyno tuned for weight? This is the first I'm hearong of engine management for different weight
If you're looking for power gains, adding weight to your vehicle is counterproductive. The more weight, the less power is reaching the ground. The important part is power to weight ratio

I'm not trying to bash, just trying to get to the underlying line of reasoning. Granted, from what I've read from the rest of your thread, my chase style and yours is vastly different, but performance on a dirt/mud road is something that comes into play regardless of chase style.

If money were no object, I'd relegate the truck to tow/farm duty and buy a Subi as a DD/chase vehicle. But it is a factor so that's not an option, at least in the near term. It's smaller, more maneuverable, and probably runs circles around my truck in the mud.

I do have my bias, I will fully admit that. I don't have a job that pays me the kind of money to throw at things and I tend to have a much more stringent standard on expense vs end result. If I can make it work on what I have (which I've been doing for 10 years now), it's hard to justify spending the extra money. That doesn't appear to be a factor in your case, I just fail to see how your truck is going to make a U-turn that mine cannot unless there's rock crawling involved (at which point I'm dead in the water).

That's all my comments have been meant for. Nothing malicious, no bashing, just an old farm boy trying to see things from your perspective and understand your thinking.

Last edited:
I'll save the chastising and just settle with "I don't know why you'd dump the money into this when you can just chase smarter." That being said, who the hell am I to tell anyone what they should do? My concerns are this:

Lifting the truck raises the vehicles center of gravity. Trucks are already like running into RFD winds holding a 4x8 sheet of plywood and trying to not get pushed. I've chased in trucks, and currently chase in an Unlimited Wrangler. It's noticeable. Add to the heightened center of gravity the increased body sway from suspension lifts and that can further displace your CoG. Add onto that uneven roads and crosswinds and you're making yourself more prone to rollover. Believe that owning solely Jeep Wrangers since my first CJ-5 in the 80's, makes me consider rolling pretty frequently.

Second off; tire selection. Wide, high floatation tires are fantastic for DEEP mud. Talking 6"+ deep mud. If you encounter that during a storm chase, you screwed up. With the nature of mud/clay on grid roads that you will more likely be battling, narrower is actually better. Especially in clay-dominant areas. I've experienced clay laden lugs with 44x20" tires and I assure you it's much less "fun" than having smaller diameter and width tires that will centrifugally clean much more efficiently.

Again, by all means do what you want and what makes you comfortable and happy. But if you chase smart and keep your SA at all times, it's an unnecessary deal. Doing mods as an "insurance policy" in case you get in a bad situation means that in your mind, you could potentially put yourself in that situation, and when the fecal matter hits the ceiling mounted air oscillating device, some Rhino lining and big tires aren't going to save you.

To each his own...but I'd rather chase in my light and nimble 07 Forester (that's actually lower than stock) than a big cumbersome truck.

Never been stuck. Never had to make more than a 3 point turn. 0-gettheFouttahere in under 6 seconds.

Cruzzer...you doing better at sharing the road this year with that behemoth? ;)

My wrx actually can do that. Minus the pulling, I'd rather keep my drivetrain intact

My car is built and daily driven and still reliable like it was new. I know a thing or two about proper modding

Just becaise you're not new to tje truck world doesn't mean you know what you're doing. I've seen it many many times where someone jumps on the forum saying they're not new to the tuning world and the first thong they do are am abumdance of engine mods without proper tuning and then complain about their cars running like crap and saying they're garbage

A lift helps but is not needed. A good set of tires are key. Although lifting does make room for bogger better wheel and tire combos

The difference between the vans you say are higher than your truck and how they're fine in the wind or whatever was said doesn't mean too much. What's the ground clearance? The last thing you want are winds getting under the vehicle...raising ground clearance increases the amount of wond getting underneath.
The other thing is those cars suspension are designed for that car specifically. If you raise your truck (not into truck modding myself) but you change the entire way the car handles which is more important with winds at whatever speeds

Honestly the only useful thing I see in a lift is protecting your engine from hydrolocking if you still have a cold air intake installed.

I do have to ask what purpose a CAI and exhaust is doing?
Sorry if it sounds like I'm attacking you, that's not what I'm trying to make it sound like. Just trying to wrap my head around the purpose of it. You don't need the extra HP and torque. You have displacement for that, nor are huge numbers relavant for chasing. So the only thing I can thing of is for attention?

Also post more pics of truck please

Oh also, was the truck dyno tuned for weight? This is the first I'm hearong of engine management for different weight
If you're looking for power gains, adding weight to your vehicle is counterproductive. The more weight, the less power is reaching the ground. The important part is power to weight ratio

When you said "my wrx can do that" I took it in the context of my post talking about pulling out the semi. I know first hand how capable off-road wrx's can be, my brother has an sti and absolutely loves it, especially in the snow. With a basic lift the handling of the truck does become a lot poorer, but more advanced lifts replace stock parts to correct the change in angles. It may be because I drive the truck daily and I'm used to it but I absolutely love how the truck handles, and the lift even increased my turn radius. As for the CAI, the filter I got is washable and reusable. It's $37 to replace the air filter in this truck and the stock one gets dirty pretty fast. The air box has two openings, but I closed off the bottom opening to limit moisture sucked into the filter. I got the Intake for free and installed it myself so it's more of a money saver long term, and I can't complain about a couple extra horsepower. Exhaust was sponsored as well, and the main reason for that was to have the Magnaflow name on the truck to help with other sponsors for more important parts. The truck was tuned mainly for the larger wheels and new gears. The extra weight was added for more stability in higher wind and better traction in snow.

Here's an updated picture of the truck.
Truck%201.jpg

I'm not trying to bash, just trying to get to the underlying line of reasoning. Granted, from what I've read from the rest of your thread, my chase style and yours is vastly different, but performance on a dirt/mud road is something that comes into play regardless of chase style.

If money were no object, I'd relegate the truck to tow/farm duty and buy a Subi as a DD/chase vehicle. But it is a factor so that's not an option, at least in the near term. It's smaller, more maneuverable, and probably runs circles around my truck in the mud.

I do have my bias, I will fully admit that. I don't have a job that pays me the kind of money to throw at things and I tend to have a much more stringent standard on expense vs end result. If I can make it work on what I have (which I've been doing for 10 years now), it's hard to justify spending the extra money. That doesn't appear to be a factor in your case, I just fail to see how your truck is going to make a U-turn that mine cannot unless there's rock crawling involved (at which point I'm dead in the water).

That's all my comments have been meant for. Nothing malicious, no bashing, just an old farm boy trying to see things from your perspective and understand your thinking.

I'm definitely not throwing money around at all, I wouldn't be able to do any of this without sponsors. As for the U-Turns, we've been on a great deal of county dirt roads that are well maintained where the side drops down 6-10 inches that I wouldn't have been able to U-turn on without the extra couple inches. I still don't see how a smaller car, even a subaru, could outdo a truck with mud tires when you gotta drive a quarter mile with mud a fourth of the way up the tires (probably halfway up on the subaru). I'll try to take a couple pictures over the next few days of some of the examples I've been using.

But again, with a smaller vehicle, I don't have the room to carry all the tools and gear to help out or pull out anyone in need.

To each his own...but I'd rather chase in my light and nimble 07 Forester (that's actually lower than stock) than a big cumbersome truck.

Never been stuck. Never had to make more than a 3 point turn. 0-gettheFouttahere in under 6 seconds.

Cruzzer...you doing better at sharing the road this year with that behemoth? ;)

Haha yes I am! That's another bonus I've had with the lift. I can pull all the way off the road wherever I need without having to worry about getting stuck or damaging anything

But besides that, I'm done posting on here. I'm out here to have fun and chase, not get chastised for making my vehicle safer and more capable.

No one here sounds like they're bashing on you. A bit of concern for saftey maybe. Nothing wrong with modifying a vehicle so long as it's done properly and for the correct application. To me it almost sounds like you're putting together a build to purposefully put yourselves in situations that you don't want to find yourself in and expecting you'll be safer than someone with a stock vehicle. Definitely not the case.
In my opinion, what's really needed for chasong tornadoes is a lower center of gravity, low ground clearance to minimize any winds getting under it...those are the wonds to worry about as those will be the ones to get under the vehicle and "lift" the car similar to how wings on an airplane work and make it easier to roll.
Obviously being quick is important. Not fast, but quick and nimble. You can have a good 600 horses to the wheels but if your truck is too heavy don't be too surpised when a Prius is out accelerating you.

Again, everyone has their own builds and I respect that. (Again post up some more pics please) I'd personally build a smaller lightweight car that can get in and out in a hurry IF needed. Not to do it every time and expect to be safe everytime. Lowering the car? Definitely not. Either stock ride heigjt or a slight inch or two lift with a proper set of struts and springs. Stronger heavier rally wheels in case of potholes, so you minimize the risk of a cracked wheel, and good all terrain tires for dirt, mud, and pavement.
Other than that there isn't a point in building something to drive exceptionally fast down a dirt road. Don't make yourself a road hazard please. Just because you might be able to hit those speeds easier than my car does not mean you'll be safe. The idea or it works but only if the roads are flat, straight, and smooth. We all know that's not the case. Doesn't matter if you have 4WD AWD or whatever tires are on...once you lose traction, that's it

Again more pics for my sake lol

When you said "my wrx can do that" I took it in the context of my post talking about pulling out the semi. I know first hand how capable off-road wrx's can be, my brother has an sti and absolutely loves it, especially in the snow. With a basic lift the handling of the truck does become a lot poorer, but more advanced lifts replace stock parts to correct the change in angles. It may be because I drive the truck daily and I'm used to it but I absolutely love how the truck handles, and the lift even increased my turn radius. As for the CAI, the filter I got is washable and reusable. It's $37 to replace the air filter in this truck and the stock one gets dirty pretty fast. The air box has two openings, but I closed off the bottom opening to limit moisture sucked into the filter. I got the Intake for free and installed it myself so it's more of a money saver long term, and I can't complain about a couple extra horsepower. Exhaust was sponsored as well, and the main reason for that was to have the Magnaflow name on the truck to help with other sponsors for more important parts. The truck was tuned mainly for the larger wheels and new gears. The extra weight was added for more stability in higher wind and better traction in snow.

Here's an updated picture of the truck.
Truck%201.jpg

I'm definitely not throwing money around at all, I wouldn't be able to do any of this without sponsors. As for the U-Turns, we've been on a great deal of county dirt roads that are well maintained where the side drops down 6-10 inches that I wouldn't have been able to U-turn on without the extra couple inches. I still don't see how a smaller car, even a subaru, could outdo a truck with mud tires when you gotta drive a quarter mile with mud a fourth of the way up the tires (probably halfway up on the subaru). I'll try to take a couple pictures over the next few days of some of the examples I've been using.

But again, with a smaller vehicle, I don't have the room to carry all the tools and gear to help out or pull out anyone in need.

Haha yes I am! That's another bonus I've had with the lift. I can pull all the way off the road wherever I need without having to worry about getting stuck or damaging anything

Ah ok, that makes sense now. Hopefully you get more sponsors then. That always helps

Ya when Ieant my wrx can do that I didn't mean it can pull. It might be able to pull one or two cars out before the clutch pr transmission blow out, the sti is a lot more capable in that aspect but they're not made to haul at all

But as far as mud goes, it's the tires that make the difference much much more than a lift. I do see the point of lifting though, it does have its uses. But the tires are the only part of a car that actually makes contact with the ground. The tires are the key player here. When I got my set of snow tires a few years ago we got a good 2 feet of snow on the highways that weren't even plowed. Of course work wasn't closed so I had to go in, and didn't have a single issue....other than needing to ride the clutch a bit harder

Definitely a great looking truck though, I am impressed.

Quick question again if you know the answer, but do you know how much it was to get rhino lining? It is in the back of my mind for either this car or the next

I agree with Kevin's points, including the truck looks sweet. Having seen it in person it's a monster.

More power to you Cruzzer...have fun with it. And don't worry when you do get stuck...I have a tow strap in my subaru to pull you out. ;)

Lol subie powahh!

Hey it's your thread cruzzer....you can't not post in it

I'd love to be able to see this beast out in the wild too. Maybe next season

Hry everyone has their own opinions and not everyone is going to like the same thing(s) you do. That's normal and a good thing. We're all individuals.
The important part is if you like what you've done

If it helps I'll post a pic of my rice burner that I'm sure a few people will shake their heads at

I must be in the minority but I do not like to let the world know I am chasing and advertise it to the masses. That is some peoples thing and more power to you as everyone can do what they want.

I do however chase with a Tundra and would not trade it for anything. Four wheel drive saved me in the past not from tornadoes but from debris/hail/etc.

One Example ... In 2009 during the Garden City tornado I went down a very muddy small road (To go see the dairy farm that got hit) and at one point the road was almost completely blocked with debris. There was a ditch on the right that dropped down about two feet … I was able (due to the truck and tires) to keep the front wheels on the road and the back ones slide down the ditch and back up while passing the obstruction. If I had front wheel drive or a regular car I would have been dead in the water.

I second the inverter as that is a must.

Here are a few photos of my truck for example … note the inverter under the RAM mount.

I hope everyone is having a good chase year.

EDIT - Sorry about the rotated photo ... I cannot fix it.

Attachments

• 8 Tundra.jpg
    8 Tundra.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 20150507_162538.jpg
    20150507_162538.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 136
  • BFGoodrich All-Terrain.jpg
    BFGoodrich All-Terrain.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 137
Nice Tundra. Stock height no? I do like my Titan but the main reason I'd have a Subi to chase in if money were no issue is the fuel costs. That's the main reason I don't chase over 400 miles from home, I can't pay for that much fuel on my current pay.

An inverter is definitely a must if you plan on running computers, etc. But I also have a bunch of ham radios and so I'm planning to put in a separate switched fuse box to run the radios, inverter, etc. It takes stress off the factory electrical system, and if something wrong happens, it won't damage said factory electrical system.

I'm with you on not being big on advertising. Aside from the antennas that will be on there, my truck will look like any other farm truck (except that it's a Nissan and not a Big 3 truck).

Back