• Collura 2

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • Foster 2

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dildine 1

Votes: 20 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This image got the most votes and people are already discussing changing the image up. This just baffles the hell out of me.

The problem here is that a vast majority of people voted against that logo (141 out of 173 for perspective)... although that's less than for all of the other logos. It is definitely interesting... but baffling? I may not like the idea of people associated with logos (and 82% apparently agree), but Dick did win fair and square. The font? Awesome. The photo of the tor? Damn awesome. The grlevelx grab? Awesome. The logo of a bloodied up individual pointing? Eh, not so much.

The next time around we could probably avoid all of this by narrowing it down to two finalists.

The reason we did not whittle down the choices with multiple rounds of voting is because we had multiple requests from users on the site to complete the contest as quickly as possible since it had been so long since it was initial started. Next time we will most likely have several rounds of voting.

lol, didn't see that coming.

Can't help but feel like the presence of Timmer in the logo pushed it over the top. Congratulations none the less, if you're not first, you're last :D

Aside from verifying a model release isn't necessary, I say let the image stand. The staff is likely busy enough. We can live with it for the time being and let's perhaps think about revisiting the contest idea in 3 to 6 months.

Of course I say we superimpose Vasquez's face over Timmer's....for a chuckle.

I wonder if McGowan won in part because he stayed out of the discussion earlier too...think a few of us shot ourselves in the foot in that regard. Oh well. Congrats to McGowan, it still is a nice work-up, regardless of who's on it.

Thanks all -- these banners were really great. I will contact Dick to get his permission and we'll get the banner online sometime this week.

I was talking with a couple of the moderators and we also had an idea of rotating through one of the other banners every now and then, like on the 5th, 10th, or 20th page load.

Tim

No surprise really. If you think about it, 173 or so voted. That's 30 regular ST'ers and 143 jock sniffers who lurk here. Surprised that Reedtrack didn't get like 80 % of the vote. No disrespect whatsoever intended to Dick. I guess I would suggest for next time a rule that no identifiable person may be in the logo. Honestly a mug shot of Reed would have won the contest.

Thanks to everyone who sincerely meant it! I created this over a year ago and wanted to show the 3 main things Stormtrack is/was about: Tornadoes, forecasting/analysis, and storm chasers. I didn't have many other photos of others in the act of chasing, so I chose the photo of Reed. The radar grab is one of May 3, 1999, during the outbreak in Oklahoma, for those inquiring. I also have a model release (although generic) for the photo of Reed, which states I have his permission to use, license, re-distribute, etc if Stormtrack or Tim needs it.

I think it's fine really (the Timmer factor). I mean it's not the first time storm chasers have been used in an image for a website:

From SN's front page:
SN_Montage.jpg

Images taken my Tony Laubach. Which included everyone from (at least) Eric Nugyen (upper left), Scott Blair, Chris Collura, Jeff Gammons (lower left), in the right center image: Jeff Gammons, Amos Magliocco, Scott Eubanks & myself behind Amos. I forget the others...it is explained somewhere...here or on SN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome contest, I see I at least got 2nd place!

Congrats to Mr McGowan and thanks all for everyone's effort and those putting this together!

Thanks to everyone who sincerely meant it! I created this over a year ago and wanted to show the 3 main things Stormtrack is/was about: Tornadoes, forecasting/analysis, and storm chasers. I didn't have many other photos of others in the act of chasing, so I chose the photo of Reed. The radar grab is one of May 3, 1999, during the outbreak in Oklahoma, for those inquiring. I also have a model release (although generic) for the photo of Reed, which states I have his permission to use, license, re-distribute, etc if Stormtrack or Tim needs it.

I wanted to congratulate you personally as the staff member who organized the contest and revived it from the ashes. I spent a lot of time staring at the logos while planning and organizing the contest and your logo was my favorite from the beginning. The honest truth is that I did not know it was Reed in the picture, but even if I had it wouldn't have changed my mind or which logo I voted for. I feel just awful that your logo has been the target of some criticism (unwarranted in my estimation), but the bottom line is you won the contest with a majority of the vote and that's all that matters. I have a sneaking suspicion that you have some pretty thick skin Dick, so hopefully that will serve you well in an instance such as this and in the future. Thanks for taking the time to reply and letting us know the thoughts and events behind your logo.

Mark

We don't have any issues with "how" or "why" people vote or promote their designs. This might be a little more of an issue for elections, but not for a logo.

Tim

Just an update -- this banner is waiting on a formality, specifically, just a reply from Dick agreeing that it's ok for us to publish the banner. I sent the e-mail last week to what might have been a nonworking address, so I followed up today with a PM.

Tim

OK, the new logo is now up, and rotating with some of the other logos occasionally is something that will be implemented too.

Tim

Regardless of how anyone feels about the logo, it looks pretty dang good up there on that bluish background.

No surprise really. If you think about it, 173 or so voted. That's 30 regular ST'ers and 143 jock sniffers who lurk here. Surprised that Reedtrack didn't get like 80 % of the vote. No disrespect whatsoever intended to Dick. I guess I would suggest for next time a rule that no identifiable person may be in the logo. Honestly a mug shot of Reed would have won the contest.

I never once thought it was Reed - it kind of looks like Steve-O from Jackass, but whatever. It *does* look good up there, and I'm glad we went through this contest after all. I was a little worried it would never see the light of day.

Back