• Collura 2

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • Foster 2

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dildine 1

Votes: 20 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for the comments all. Yes, the retro theme was part of the idea for me. I have a very high fondness of the Stormtrack print days (as well as the current site) and the leaders/owners who have been a major part of Stormtracks long history. In fact the three running figures, in someway (not literally) represent David Hoadley, Tim Marshall, and Tim Vasquez. The previous/original design had two figures.

I also wanted to keep something simple enough to use in other means, like a T-shirt, bumper sticker, letterhead, business card, etc. Not that Stormtrack needs that, but I tend to design things like that...with continuity. It's the architect in me.

For the terms at the top (Forecast, Track, Document) I pretty much looked at what the essence of stormtrack is and does. I wanted to add the word "discuss" but I just couldn't quite get it to fit logically or physically without making the design too cluttered. The spinning, tornado like shape I debated too. While it is somewhat limiting, I could not come up with a more generic graphic that represented all types of weather we discuss here, but the symbol to represent a major, probably the most idealic goal for 90% of the members here.

The design is a 'mock up' and could be cleaned up a little more (make the spiral tornado shape crisper. Text, colors, etc. could be changed as the owner sees fit to make it work with any color scheme the site was, but I did default to the colors used on the site booth currently and in previous versions of the Stormtrack website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, I would also be willing to modify my design if need be (for example if the site ended up being 're-skinned' or if people really want me to alter something on it).

I'm thinking in terms of bumper stickers, window decals, t-shirts, etc. There is a clear winner. ST will only grow by marketing. I am NOT knocking anyone's efforts because they are all fantastic. Thank you EVERYONE for submitting ideas and artwork. AWESOME!

The voting results will display when the poll closes on New Years Eve. The original contest instructions outlined by Tim only mentioned replacing the logo on the website and there were no aspirations mentioned about t-shirts, bumper stickers, and so forth. Thanks again everyone for all of their efforts in the logo designs.

The voting results will display when the poll closes on New Years Eve. The original contest instructions outlined by Tim only mentioned replacing the logo on the website and there were no aspirations mentioned about t-shirts, bumper stickers, and so forth. Thanks again everyone for all of their efforts in the logo designs.

Thank you! (lol) I don't know where all this t-shirt, bumper sticker, etc etc talk is coming from. I designed my logo for the site banner; not coffee mugs, toothbrushes, or paper weights!!!

Thank you! (lol) I don't know where all this t-shirt, bumper sticker, etc etc talk is coming from. I designed my logo for the site banner; not coffee mugs, toothbrushes, or paper weights!!!

Same here. Nobody ever previously mentioned a logo for this stuff when we decided to do it. I think someone just pulled it out of their butt. Can't think of anywhere else it may have come from.

That would be my fault. I was talking about it, because that was in my head when I did it...not because that was what the contest was about. I ALWAYS think outside the box...almost literally in this case, not just thing about a good banner, but a good design for more things than just the site. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Same here. Nobody ever previously mentioned a logo for this stuff when we decided to do it. I think someone just pulled it out of their butt. Can't think of anywhere else it may have come from.
Seriously dude...WTF?

That would be my fault. I was talking about it, because that was in my head when I did it...not because that was what the contest was about. I ALWAYS think outside the box...almost literally in this case, not just thing about a good banner, but a good design for more things than just the site. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Seriously dude...WTF?

Hmmm... I mentioned that one of the drawn logos might look better on printed media in addition to being scalable and distinctive in the first poll:

http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showpost.php?p=292470&postcount=3

A simple, bold logo is easier to associate with a particular thing than a photograph. Although I must say there are some very distinctive photographs here. I voted for Perez 1 but Boggs 1 would be my photographic pick. I think that photo might make a great logo converted into a vector graphic as well. The Campo tornado was so perfect it practically looked fake anyway. You could trace that tube and debris cloud with some curves and fill it in with gradients, and I think it would look really sharp. It could have a transparent background so it fits neatly into the site, and still be recognizable from the photo it came from.

Jeez, very hard decision. Many nice logos here and ones that were not finalists. Certainly a lot of hard work on the part of the participants. I finally voted and I will be happy with any of the winners.

Bill Hark

Skip...perhaps. I think it had to do more with what I posted, and then one person replied to, because of the timing of the threads. I think Neal, Dewey Boggs threads were meant to throw criticism and spite my way (but I could be wrong) because they specifically outline things as I did in my post, not like you had in yours much early Skip.

I agree, it'll be nice, whom ever wins, great entries by all.

Jason Foster:

"I think someone just pulled it out of their butt"

I really said that in a sarcastic manner. It wasn't meant toward you, or anyone else in particular. If you took it the wrong way, I apologize. No harm was meant from what I said.

I never meant to throw criticism or spite your way either, so I also apologize for that if you took it the wrong way.

Now, let's get back to the logo contest!!!

I think Neal, Dewey Boggs threads were meant to throw criticism and spite my way (but I could be wrong) because they specifically outline things as I did in my post, not like you had in yours much early Skip.

Actually, I had also mentioned use beyond ST's website (in the other thread, I think I even agreed with you). My above comment was just a joke in reference to a comment made by Craig Maire on one of Danny Neal's Facebook statuses.

I do tend toward more simplistic logos that are based on around a "brands" name. I'm not sure if that's the right approach for ST, or if others agree, but that's what the poll is for :)

Actually those arguments about logos needing to be easily transferable are correct. I took a few graphic designing courses back in the day as I thought it was a field I wanted to get into and one of the first things you learn in graphic design 101 is that a good logo is simple, easily transferable and easily recognized without any words [think of chaser-TVs logo.] There is also a standard number of colors that should be used and other stuff.

Anyways, just adding to that discussion because I'm bored and awake earlier than I prefer to be.

In any case. I voted...and it was one of the simple ones.

Back