Sprint Aircards???

From what I can find on Sprint's website, (as far as the aircards go), only the Aircard 580 is going to be EV-DO compatible. I currently have the Novatel Morlin 201. Sprint data service is great, again... as long as you're in the Sprint coverage. Too bad there's not a dial-up option for when roaming (just for those must connect times).

** Someone made reference earlier about the new satellite high-speed connections. Most are already familiar with the DataStorm mobile satellite system. I have it on my truck, and if you need any help or advice on it, I'll be glad to help. The technology "is not" new, been around for about 3-5 years now. It's very expensive and there are cons as well as pros.

I'm still hoping this new, higher-speed network that Sprint is promoting will really help.

Chris Hayes has a PC Card and Data Service through Cingular, after seeing it in action on June 4th I've deicded to go that route.
It's pretty cool how it works.... he was using it the whole time we were chasing that day...

T-mobile equipment

Originally posted by rdewey
Has anyone tried the T-Mobile plan? You get the Aircard thing for $99, and the monthly service fee is only $29.99 for umlimited GPRS. That beats Cingulars Media Net, and I'm sure it's a heck of alot easier to install...
I wanted to mention that you don't necessarily need the Aircard. I used my Sony Ericsson T610 phone with Bluetooth and a bluetooth adapter for my laptop to surf this last time out. The phone is an older model, so it can probably be found cheap. I think the adapter was $25 or so at most big box stores.

As for coverage - other people have hit the nail on the head. Spotty off the highways but inexpensive. I think I paid an additional $10 a month for unlimited data on top of my regular service.

Plus, when I was done with my chase vacation, I turned the data off.

Alex

Spritn service in my opinion is certainly limited. i have sprint service and i would not use ti for chasing knowing the areas that I can recieve service and the areas i cant. if your not on a main highway ie. I 70 - I 35.. your SOL

Originally posted by rdewey+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rdewey)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-fplowman
Spritn service in my opinion is certainly limited. i have sprint service and i would not use ti for chasing knowing the areas that I can recieve service and the areas i cant. if your not on a main highway ie. I 70 - I 35.. your SOL

What's big pimpin Homer using? Looks like he's got a cell phone :lol:[/b]

Actually thats him dressed up as a man in black. He uses it to flash the minds of his target so that their memory lapses about the situation they were just in. hehehe

I have a Sprint PCS card, and it works well as long as I'm on the Interstate. It connects quickly and easily. Expect large "no coverage areas" in southern Kansas. As far as speed, it downloads about the speed of a 56.6 modem....GF

Back