4G and storm chasing......

I've climbed up on this soapbox and refuse to step down, LOL. Define huge difference!! Think about it. That can mean several different things.

Does that mean more bars showing at some given spot at the fringe of a service area? Does it mean YES being able to get data at that particular spot vs. NO, not getting data without the antenna? One thing I can tell you is that most of the time that I am chasing, if I happen upon a spot where I am not getting data there's no reason I can't move to another spot .5 miles or 2 miles away where I CAN get data. I do this several times per year. I don't consider it a nuisance or hardship.

I tested my (3G) setup with/without amp+antenna in some marginal spots a few years ago, and my results were that there was absolutely no difference whatsoever, but YMMV. Contrarily, I will admit this: I did come across another chaser in the NE PH a few years ago who was getting data using a mid-size antenna while I was not (using an antenna nor getting data).

My take; For many years I've almost always dropped networking at some time and in some place. So you might say well big deal?....well I would go on to say that quite often when I lost connection I never got it back for the rest of the days chase for anywhere around that particular location? So whilst some boast that they never drop out their signal, are they just fibbing or do I always draw the short straw?
The truth is that whilst cradle points and good quality roaming mifi's etc might increase your gain I still say that there are a lot more places out there with a big ZERO internet data. In fact these regions could easily span 50 miles or more diameter! ...and can easily screw up/hinder your days chasing. Especially when your particular storm chooses to explode and you have to resort to the 1970's type of visual chasing on a bad road network!
At best this can be very frustrating and at worst this could be very dangerous depending on the potential for that day.

PS. I still own an older version 2005 Baron System which still works well. Though TBH the cost of XM re activation each year and a months service during chase season just cannot justify its means anymore!:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been running a Verizon 4G LTE aircard since 2011. The coverage is getting better every year, and the handoff issues seem to have resolved for the most part (I rarely have issues with that now). I run mine in a Cradlepoint router.

There are still many holes out there, however. Enough that I can't depend 100% on internet for radar.

I've been running a Verizon 4G LTE aircard since 2011. The coverage is getting better every year, and the handoff issues seem to have resolved for the most part (I rarely have issues with that now). I run mine in a Cradlepoint router.

There are still many holes out there, however. Enough that I can't depend 100% on internet for radar.

I use a Cradlepoint router too Dan. Specifically, are you running an LTE antenna with your datacard setup? I have the 3G setup covered, no issues to speak of. I was mostly looking for anyone who has added an LTE specific antenna while we're waiting on the amplifiers to materialize. This is assuming your modem has an external port for an LTE antenna.i

My aircard doesn't have an antenna port that I'm aware of. There may be a way to 'hack' one into it, but I've never looked into it. As long as I have ThreatNet as a radar backup, I've been able to live with the data holes.

This is a total noob question but I have no experience with this and I have only heard about it: What is threatnet and how do you use it as radar backup? I've only ever used my mobile phone for internet and/or stopped and places like hotel parking lots for free wifi

Thanks Dan for replying. Chris, Baron's Mobile Threatnet is a satellite based weather subscription service that requires you to own the Wxworx receiver and pay for a data subscription. It was state of the art in circa 2006, but has weathered the years nicely because their data reliability is better than cellular, though that gap is closing. I imagine Dan uses Verizon and some flavor of GRLX products as his primary radar source, then Baron's Threatnet should he find himself in a no coverage area for cellular service. I hope this helps.

I did some looking around on the internet and the UML290 has two external antenna ports. The one on the left is for 3G and on the right is for 4G. I guess Pantech called it a diagnostic port for awhile and claimed it was for technician use only, but as it turns out it was an LTE port all along. I just can't see the harm in getting another antenna and a second adapter to use for LTE, then when the new amps come along I can just swap out my Rockies amp for the LTE model. LTE is so fast where I live it has me considering cutting the cable internet off for the first time since signing up in 2002 initially.

Thanks for that info. Don't have the cash for it though right now. PLus I mainly chase Illinois and I don't have problems getting reliable 4g coverage with Verizon for my phone. So I also don't have the need for a separate carry-along wireless receiver, but those look pretty nice to have, especially if you can get better signal with those compared to just phones.

I did some looking around on the internet and the UML290 has two external antenna ports. The one on the left is for 3G and on the right is for 4G. I guess Pantech called it a diagnostic port for awhile and claimed it was for technician use only, but as it turns out it was an LTE port all along. I just can't see the harm in getting another antenna and a second adapter to use for LTE, then when the new amps come along I can just swap out my Rockies amp for the LTE model. LTE is so fast where I live it has me considering cutting the cable internet off for the first time since signing up in 2002 initially.
Do you already own the UML290? If so, how has it performed on chases? Any 3G/4G handoff issues you've noticed?

I did some more research yesterday and found that Pantech has replaced that model with the UML295. Its user reviews are much better than for the UML290, which has many complaints about connection problems and reliability. In fact, the UML295 seems like a no-brainer for anyone new to aircards. The catch: it's the one 4G LTE aircard not supported by my Cradlepoint router, which no longer receives firmware updates. Figures.

I'm probably just going to reactive my 3G-only UMW190 before next week's setup. Both the UML290 and VL600 have too many problem reports for me to feel comfortable with, and I don't like the fact that the VL600 has to be opened up to access the antenna ports. I'm probably sacrificing blazing fast speed for nothing in return, but oh well. My one fear: that there may be some roaming towers where only 4G LTE is shared with Verizon users. Ugh -- there's nothing more frustrating than trying to find a perfect data solution.

I'm so pleased with a used Verizon Mifi 4510L from eBay. $50 a month will get you 5GB of 4G LTE data, or it will drop down to 3G if needed. If you can't budget $50 each month for data, then you need to find a cheaper hobby.

I'm so pleased with a used Verizon Mifi 4510L from eBay. $50 a month will get you 5GB of 4G LTE data, or it will drop down to 3G if needed. If you can't budget $50 each month for data, then you need to find a cheaper hobby.
Thanks for sharing your experience, but I don't think budget is the reason people consider options other than MiFi. Rampant reports of overheating and units automatically shutting down after a period of inactivity, plus a relative lack of user control compared to a Cradlepoint setup, are my concerns. I'm glad it's working out well for you, though. It sounds like it's just luck of the draw with Verizon's MiFi units, as well as their older 4G LTE aircards. Also, FWIW, the monthly rate for aircards is the same, so budget should not be a determining factor in this decision.

Does no one trust just using the hotspot on their smart phones? We manage to keep things connected and rolling fairly well with just our two hotspots. One from AT&T and one from Verizon.

Does no one trust just using the hotspot on their smart phones? We manage to keep things connected and rolling fairly well with just our two hotspots. One from AT&T and one from Verizon.
I think the phone hotspot is an ideal source for chase data given the following conditions:

1. You have Verizon (I don't)
2. You have a phone that can create a hotspot without a monthly fee
3. You're willing to accept the occasional lack of data where an antenna-connected modem/MiFi would have service

Most chasers who invest in separate data solutions do so because their phone service is through AT&T, Sprint or T-Mo.

Yeah, I'm okay with the occasional loss. We chase mostly in Montana, the Dakotas and Wyoming, where 3G and Edge are still the main mobile networks outside of the the bigger towns. So it's more of a having to deal with it type of situation than anything. If these cradle points could hold up or better I would consider purchasing one but for now while we chase where we do it just seems pointless.

Wasn't all that long ago, we (they) found a McDonalds, connected to their wifi, and looked at the radar and wx reports and such, then "headed out", and not much before that luxury, they looked on the internet at home the day before, then "headed out", and if the opportunity presented itself would look for a truck stop that had a tv on a local station ... boy how things have changed the last 10-20 years.

Back