4G and storm chasing......

Do you already own the UML290? If so, how has it performed on chases? Any 3G/4G handoff issues you've noticed?

I did some more research yesterday and found that Pantech has replaced that model with the UML295. Its user reviews are much better than for the UML290, which has many complaints about connection problems and reliability. In fact, the UML295 seems like a no-brainer for anyone new to aircards. The catch: it's the one 4G LTE aircard not supported by my Cradlepoint router, which no longer receives firmware updates. Figures.

I'm probably just going to reactive my 3G-only UMW190 before next week's setup. Both the UML290 and VL600 have too many problem reports for me to feel comfortable with, and I don't like the fact that the VL600 has to be opened up to access the antenna ports. I'm probably sacrificing blazing fast speed for nothing in return, but oh well. My one fear: that there may be some roaming towers where only 4G LTE is shared with Verizon users. Ugh -- there's nothing more frustrating than trying to find a perfect data solution.

The above reasons you stated about the UML295 and Cradlepoint is why I bought a UML290 from eBay and just activated it at the beginning of February on Verizon. I haven't chased with it yet this year, but have it running fine on my Cradlepoint here in the house and have looked at the settings I'll need if I have hand off issues between 4G and 3G. I'll load up the gear here in a week or two and do a test run to see what happens. That's funny that you mention reading such shining reviews about the 295. I don't think I read one review on Verizon that was favorable about the 295 at the time, but I bought this 290 a few months ago so maybe things have changed since then. It's in awesome shape and works like a champ so far, but that's stationary not mobile! ;)

I think I'm going to buy the antenna I see on WPSAntennas.com for LTE and give it a whirl, as the asking price is pretty nominal.

Back