Fed up with Car WIFI-Help

The wireless Traveller amplifier is the only real good option we have for that phone . The problem is the antenna placement on the iphone 4's , The iphone 3 works great with a direct connect amplifier and a cradle . Like I said sometimes Apple gets too cute .

What are the best options for iphone 4s users? I too have ran into issues maintaining my signal lately and am growing frustrated. I would love to pick up one of Gordon's wireless units but currently it is out of the budget as I am unemployed currently. What are the more affordable options for my device as it sounds like cradles may not work?

Hey Gordon, long time no speak. Question, using the wireless M.S. traveller, would I be able to use that induction cradle for a Verizon MiFi modem? I think it would be ultimately more convenient than that little black flat panel you sent me.

Thanks

You could , just it would effect if you are trying to do multiple devices . As the antenna is in the cradle and having your device direct against that antenna may not let the rf signal get to other devices . The gain would be off the hook if you did do that.

Not too worried about other devices, as most devices in-vehicle are connected to that modems wifi. By gain do you mean gain in performance? Or gain as in RF terminoligy?

I cannot promise upload and download increase . You will get massive RF gain which will give best upload and download available on the tower and network . But there are many other factors in upload and download speeds that neither of us can control such as other users , how they are using or abusing available bandwidth on the network and the amount of backhaul each individual tower has , it varies.

Not too worried about other devices, as most devices in-vehicle are connected to that modems wifi. By gain do you mean gain in performance? Or gain as in RF terminoligy?

You want to "ROOT" your phone to get free hotspot service. Check out android forums for ways on how to do your phone.

If you "brick " your phone, that means you have killed it. "Brick" means that its become a paperweight. You dont want this.

Also- Go with Verizon, it has much better coverage than Tmobile

You would be wise to consider some sort of data source from one of the major network carriers that offer data on the Plains, e.g., Verizon or Sprint. Some people tether or "brick" a phone to get it to function as a wifi router, whereas others, such as myself, have a dedicated broadband USB data card that does 3G (and some 4G).

Due to coverage issues and data usage limitations, having full use of the device at home might be problematic if you use the Internet often, as you may face overage fees and, if you read the fine print, carriers sometimes throttle back the speed of your connection when you approach excessive amounts of usage.

With all of that having been said, sometimes it doesn't matter whether or not you have access to data. On big days when you have multiple chasers in close proximity on the same storm that you are chasing, the cell towers have a propensity to get overloaded and your data will essentially be very slow or non-existent. This has happened to me on the past few large outbreak days on the Plains, including this past Saturday. The massive pull that dozens (or hundreds) of chasers can put on a rural cell tower will render its performance essentially akin to a state of necrosis.

Hi,

Can anyone give me an idea if there are significant performance / setup differences between
Novatel MiFi Hotspot (3G/4G Hotspot $69.99 per month )
or
Sierra Wireless 250U (3G/4G Unlimited Plan $69.99 per month ) from Millenicom (Gordon?)

I know that one is a hotspot and one a single computer modem. I ask because one of the people travelling with us for part of the trip last year rented a MiFi and couldn't get it to function on a laptop running Vista - at all......we're running an XP laptop atm but may end up upgrading the laptop in the next year or so and end up on W7 or Vista...we also have another laptop already running W7 - there are occasions we might have 2 laptops in the car and of course there's an iPad and iPhone for those quick FB uploads of rotating updrafts and tornadoes ;) - hang on, have I just talked myself into a MiFi?????

Was going to buy a 760USB but Millenicom have gone out of them so looking for recommendations of which of these to get...will be getting an amplifier to boot the signal as well so not sure which one of these to get..

Warts and all please.

many thanks

Jane

I would go with the Hotspot plan . It is on the Verizon network . The 250 u is on the Sprint network and you only get 4g ON Clear's Wimax network . which has terrible coverage in Storm chasing areas

Plus, the novatel hotspot device can be positioned optimally near a cellular booster internal "antenna" if you ever choose to use one of those. With the USB plugin device, you're kind of limited with what you can do and they are prone to damage as you're moving stuff around in a rush or careless moment.

Thanks Gordon and Robert, I thought they were both with Verizon...that means there's no contest - we'd only go with Verizon!!

Btw, Gordon, will the hotspot work happily with your amplifier? Will you be having 'amazingly good' ChaserCon prices? If so, we can pick one up from you there :)

also, am I correct in assuming that we e don't need an aftermarket external aerial for the car if we are getting the amplifier?

cheers and many thanks

Jane

Last edited by a moderator:
Back