Fed up with Car WIFI-Help

Thanks for the info everyone! We're considering the millenicom and an amp from Gordon. This is the kind of info I need!

If you skip the wireless router per Bryan's #4 comment above you will have to connect your modem to the amplifier via a special cable that you can buy from Maximum Signal when you purchase your amplifier. I did this the first year out and it worked okay, but it isn't as clean as adding a Cradlepoint router to the setup. When the chase heats up and a person is grabbing for this, that, and the other, the special cable has a tendency to get bumped and become dislodged, then your signal won't be as strong because you won't be connected to the amplifier. If you have a Cradlepoint router you can connect to it via the Wifi that is built into your laptop. Think of the Cradlepoint as the same thing you probably have in your home. It's a wireless router but in a much smaller package known as the mobile formfactor.

Perhaps I'm mis-reading this part of your post, but it's very important to know how to chase without cell phone service or data. Being able to visually identify the features of a storm, and understand where you should be (and not be) is very important. If someone is unable to do so, they need to back out even further form the storm to give themselves some breathing room.

Just wanted to address this. We were in NE and hadn't had cell service in at least 30 minutes or more and all we had to go on was radio at that point. Nothing was being said on the radio, and we wanted to see some of the storm potential in different areas. To make a long story short....we found a town in KS we thought would have wifi and on our way down there tornado warnings started to sound for the area we were driving in. The sky was completely gray cast, there was no looking at clouds to figure anything out. Every part of the sky was gray cast. Then, all of a sudden, we happened upon a rain wrapped tornado a few hundred yards from us and had to scramble to get out of the way. Luckily the tornado was pretty weak from the looks of it and disappeared just a minute or two after we first spotted it. Live and Learn.

Anyway, my point in all of that is USUALLY we do watch the skies and can see what is going on even without internet like we did when we first started. We've chased plenty without internet just following the clouds and relying on wifi spots every now and then, but it has always been in areas we know well. We had a heck of a time finding a wifi spot. Now that we are beginning to chase out of our area, I worry about not having radar because we don't know about any dirt roads etc for escape routes in case an unseen tornado is sneaking up on us. At least that way we know which side of the storm we are on, which we didn't because the radio was useless.

This is off topic, but was it just our experience, or does NE not report weather on the radio. We were tuned to different stations on the NE/KS line and they were barely giving any info. They would report a tornado warning and then go right back to music. It was better in KS, but in Missouri if there is a tornado warning anywhere NEAR the area then music is stopped dead until there have been no tornado warnings for at least half an hour. And there are dozens of stations reporting. Just curious is that's a NE thing since that is the first time we have chased there.

Now, with the usb router....if I get the data through Verizon, am I correct in assuming we will have to enter into a data plan with them which comes with an activation fee, taxes, a credit check, and whatever else cell phone plans come with? We're trying to avoid that if we can, which is why millenicom appeals to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is off topic, but was it just our experience, or does NE not report weather on the radio. We were tuned to different stations on the NE/KS line and they were barely giving any info. They would report a tornado warning and then go right back to music. It was better in KS, but in Missouri if there is a tornado warning anywhere NEAR the area then music is stopped dead until there have been no tornado warnings for at least half an hour. And there are dozens of stations reporting. Just curious is that's a NE thing since that is the first time we have chased there.

Now, with the usb router....if I get the data through Verizon, am I correct in assuming we will have to enter into a data plan with them which comes with an activation fee, taxes, a credit check, and whatever else cell phone plans come with? We're trying to avoid that if we can, which is why millenicom appeals to me.

Don't know much about Nebraska but in Kansas did you try AM 580 WIBW? Usually during severe weather they have nothing on but severe weather coverage.

One note to my post above is you will still need a special cable from Maximum Signal to connect your modem to the amplifier (assuming you purchase an amp). If you plug your modem into the Cradlepoint router then you can tuck it out of the way so as to reduce the rats nest of cables.

If you want to avoid a contract with Verizon or Sprint you'll have to purchase the modem on eBay or go with Millenicom as they do not require a contract. Whatever you do, I believe Verizon is probably the best data provider out on the plains now with Sprint running second. It might not hurt to invest in a weather radio as they can be had for cheap, then you won't have to rely on AM or FM stations to know what's happening.

Yes. As I've already mentioned, if you buy your own USB modem on eBay (Verizon USB 760 is a good one) and bring it to Verizon, there is a $35 activation fee and month-to-month service with no contract is $60 plus tax for 5GB a month. They do run a short, minor credit check that takes about 20 seconds. You can shut off the service with a short phone call when storm chasing season is over, and then restart it again the following year for $35.

If you want to enter into a contract with Verizon, they will provide you with a USB modem for free, run a short credit check, charge you a $35 activation fee, and then lock you into a contract for $60 a month (plus tax) for 5GB a month, and you will have to maintain that service for two years.

Millenicom is an excellent service. The only difference is that you pay a few extra dollars per month and get a much larger data allowance.

Bryan

One note to my post above is you will still need a special cable from Maximum Signal to connect your modem to the amplifier (assuming you purchase an amp). If you plug your modem into the Cradlepoint router then you can tuck it out of the way so as to reduce the rats nest of cables.

If you want to avoid a contract with Verizon or Sprint you'll have to purchase the modem on eBay or go with Millenicom as they do not require a contract. Whatever you do, I believe Verizon is probably the best data provider out on the plains now with Sprint running second. It might not hurt to invest in a weather radio as they can be had for cheap, then you won't have to rely on AM or FM stations to know what's happening.

Good tip about reducing cables. That is something I would like to keep to a minimum.

And we actually ended up stopping and getting a weather radio in KS after the first tornado because the stations were so bad. I had always associated weather radios with prep for a storm shelter, never realized how great they are for chasing as well. We didn't try any AM stations in KS, but the further into KS we got we found 99.9FM. Can't remember what station it was, but it had excellent coverage and it actually helped us find our second and third tornado for the day.

You need to ask any of the chasers here that have used our amplifiers and how they perform compared to a Wilson . Quite frankly ours blow them away . We have also have been long time supporters of the Storm chasing community . We advertise on the storm chasing sites ( this one to name one ) as well as sponsor the national conference every year . Ask pros like Steve Miller , Roger Hill , Chris Caldwell to name a few what the best cellular amplifiers out there are.

I agree with this hands down. My Maximum Signal direct connect blows away the Wilson I tried and its not even close. I would never chase without a Max Signal amp now that I've had one.

I would like to get the Traveller IN Vehicle Wireless amplifier for $349 from Maximum Signal but it may need to be a next storm season purchase because of our budget this year. Next year we should have more income and a bigger budget.

It sounds like your main issue is your provider. I can't speak for others, but Verizon, hands down, is the best. If it is indeed T-Mobile that you have, that is where you need to start before purchasing amplifiers, etc.

I don't mean to be an ass, but I have both a Maximum Signal and a Wilson and I can never get the Maximum Signal one to work, however the Wilson one is working like a champ all this season. You said to ask the chasers, so I'm just giving my own personal experience.

but I will give a vote for Millenicom, I got that this year and Verizon has been so good, I plan to switch my phones when the contract runs out on them.

Why don't you call me and we will troubleshoot . Must be a separation or antenna issue . All you have to do is call . No need to be an ass . We back up our equipment . And when everything is working properly they slay the Wilson's !

I don't mean to be an ass, but I have both a Maximum Signal and a Wilson and I can never get the Maximum Signal one to work, however the Wilson one is working like a champ all this season. You said to ask the chasers, so I'm just giving my own personal experience.

but I will give a vote for Millenicom, I got that this year and Verizon has been so good, I plan to switch my phones when the contract runs out on them.

I can't speak for Maximum Signal because I don't have one. I can use American Express points on Amazon and that's where I prefer to shop and they had a Wilson auto kit and I'm pleased with it and the price was right. Not saying it performs better or worse than a Max Signal because I don't know but if Maximum Signal would have been marketing through Amazon, I'd have bought Maximum.

Maximum Signal amplifiers are available on Amazon . Wirelessnwifi sells Maximum Signal amplifiers on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I can't speak for Maximum Signal because I don't have one. I can use American Express points on Amazon and that's where I prefer to shop and they had a Wilson auto kit and I'm pleased with it and the price was right. Not saying it performs better or worse than a Max Signal because I don't know but if Maximum Signal would have been marketing through Amazon, I'd have bought Maximum.

Why don't you call me and we will troubleshoot . Must be a separation or antenna issue . All you have to do is call . No need to be an ass . We back up our equipment . And when everything is working properly they slay the Wilson's !

That is exactly why I don't call you to troubleshoot Gordon, every time I do, it's like you don't hear anything I am saying and the answer is always what you say there, "separate the antennas more". I couldn't separate them any more without putting one out on the front bumper at this point. That's what I get every time I ask you about it though, no matter how I try to explain my setup....."you need to separate the antennas more". The outside antenna is 6" from the rear of the back roof on an SUV and the inside antenna is up near the windshield. Seriously, at this point I could only move it to the hood or front bumper to separate it further. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be an ass, just my experience with it hasn't been as good as some apparently, no matter how much I wanted it to be.

There are two reason's wireless amplifiers do not work . Either a bad antenna or improper separation , Antennas cannot be on same plane vertically or horizontal . Will send you a new indoor panel in the morning . Depending on vehicle length mount on dash or firewall on drivers side. Flat panel directional works best in vehicle . Believe you are using an omni directional antenna inside if I recall

That is exactly why I don't call you to troubleshoot Gordon, every time I do, it's like you don't hear anything I am saying and the answer is always what you say there, "separate the antennas more". I couldn't separate them any more without putting one out on the front bumper at this point. That's what I get every time I ask you about it though, no matter how I try to explain my setup....."you need to separate the antennas more". The outside antenna is 6" from the rear of the back roof on an SUV and the inside antenna is up near the windshield. Seriously, at this point I could only move it to the hood or front bumper to separate it further. Like I said, I wasn't trying to be an ass, just my experience with it hasn't been as good as some apparently, no matter how much I wanted it to be.

Back