Signal Boost Solution: iPAD 2 + Cradle Point Router + USB Verizon Modem (3G)

I have been using the Cradle Point CTR500 this year with a Sprint U598. I bought the new Maximum Signals In Car wireless unit. This has worked great this season in areas that I did not have service before. Also I do not have to worry about the USB card in the laptop since the router is laying down on the console. Far greater data up time this year and the cell is boosted at the same time.

Gordon, there has to be someway to get the setup I want to work with 3G and with 4G. i think we've already established you can do it with the 3G....but what about 4G? there has to be a solution.

Drew,

As of today, there is not a solution to what you're describing. If you want it now, then you better start working on it. You'll need to design, engineer, test, and license it yourself.

Bryan

Drew, the CP router is designed to accept aircards from multiple wireless providers whether or not the aircards have a provision for an external antenna or booster. The CP 500 in particular also has a 10/100 EtherNet port for a wired net connect which can be used simultaneously with the wi-fi. Since an external antenna/booster bypasses the aircard's internal antenna, I don't see that there'd be any practical way of attaching the antenna to the router itself.

Most of CP's routers now have firmware which works with VZW's LTE 3G/4G. See the CradlePoint website for more info. So they say, the dual-capable aircards work ok, although there are issues with 3G-4G fall forward in dual signal areas VZW is working on.

Drew - just so you do not think I am kidding about 2 or 3 million dollars to develop and pass new product with the FCC. I figured I would drop a number on you. To get the new Maximum Signal amplifiers tested and approved to the new FCC standards took 9 months of testing and over $800,000.00 just in testing costs . And those are only dual band ( 800 & 1900 ) . To do an amplifier to cover 4G on all carriers would mean having to cover 6 Bands ( 700 , 800 , 1700 , 1900 , 2100 & 2500 ) . And the FCC is not making life easy . They are in fact moving on redoing the rules regarding Cellular amplifiers and even though our new amplifiers meet all guidelines that the carriers have suggested to the FCC it is near impossible for them to get any new products even considered

I'm seeing improvement lately in my in-city 3G data rates, which have been erratic for awhile. My hunch is that 4G is beginning to bite off some heavy data users from the 3G network. I think this is another argument for going slow on getting 4G. Lightly loaded 3G with a good connection is more than adequate for chaser/spotter use, and is becoming widely available in the same sense 1X did a few years ago. You don't need a fire hose, i.e. network to stream Netflix, to water the garden.

Back