Rocky/Stormtrack Picnic: Wakita, May 28

Looked like Kanani was smoking a pipe there... I looked closer and it was just a car windshield.

Tim

Looked like Kanani was smoking a pipe there... I looked closer and it was just a car windshield.

Tim

Yeah, I double-took that, too cause I wasn't sure, but since I was looking her in the face, I think I would've remembered that! *LOL* Still a funny shot, though! :lol:

Wakita was fun! A quiet gathering that maxed out at about 40 chasers including Shane Adams, Bill Hark, Amos Magliocco, Jay McCoy, Kanani Foster, Dan Robinson, Tim Marshall, and many many others. We just hung out in downtown Wakita for a few hours chewing the fat, dancin' in the streets, and checking out the 'Twister' goodies. We had a good time hanging around eating great BBQ and chattin' the locals. The community of Wakita was very pleasent and were a great group of folks. They made all of us feel very welcome and were very nice to us all. I would definately recommend anyone passing nearby to stop and check the place out. Its definately worth the visit. I took a picture of my car with the Wakita water tower in the background (the same one in 'Twister'); check it out below.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.tornadoeskick.com/images/050528a.jpg

I just realized that I've seen you out and about on the plains and didn't even know it at the time. Saw your car last year @ the North Platte library just before the storm that came outta Colorado and drifted over Lake Macconaughy. I think I even took a picture of the back of your car as I thought "WX NERD" was a hilarious plate. :)

Looksl ike you guys had a lot of fun, I wish I could had made it but had stuff to do here at home..

If you look at the picture with Jeff Piotrowski showing the rest of us the latest data of NW Kansas I'm standing on his left in the the striped shirt with the rolled up sleeves, I think I'm drinking one of those delicious brown cows (root beer float) that they were handing out in the museum. My chase partner Chris is standing on my left.

We actually took off with Jeff that afternoon to chase Kansas. Its been one of the greatest times of my life, Jeff, his wife Kathy, and Steve are some of the nicest people I've ever met. In fact, we're still with him in Clayton New Mexico today. We'll be staying here tonight and hoping for a descent day tomorrow.

I must say on behalf of myself, Kanani and the rest of my gang we had a great time. Finally got to meet alot of people we have been chatting. I think Kanani had the best time of all with souvenoir shopping and dancing and just checking out the sets. She couldnt stop smiling all day. Now maybe we can get to some real chasing in June

Cain and I arrived in Wakita around 12:30 after having lunch at Taco Mayo in Enid, OK. We decided this was our new favorite fast food taco place, wish we had them in NE, absolutely fantastic! After cruising the two blocks of main street we parked and went over to checkout the Twister Museum. The guest book read like a who's who of ST chasers. We meet and visited with many including, Jay McCoy, Kanani, Darin B, Bill Hark, Mark S, Fabian, Shane and Jo, Tony, Amos, Dan Robinson, and others. If I forgot or didn't mention you I apologize. There were even brief pit stops by the Weathervine gang and the twister Sisters group, both of which quickly headed northwest to chase. We hung out, looked at chaser vehicles, and listened to the local band play on. I don't think those guys took a break all day. There were many very nice rigs, but Shane's, still showing the effects of gorilla hail had to be the best. About 3:30 we decided to try and catch the storms out west, but upon checking data once more, (yes, Wakita has wifi), we choose some developing cells in ne KS, as this was the direction need to go anyway. During our 200 mile drive,we watched a cell to our ne grow into an over-shooting top and anvil out, but by the time we caught up, just south of Kansas City, it had become all outflow and rain. We stopped for the night in Ottawa, KS and went on to bethany, MO the next day. With only slight chances out for today (monday), we decided to come on home last night. Chasing today would have required us to drive across KS last night to be in position for today, and we would have to drive all night again to get back to Omaha by tuesday morning, as it's my youngest daughters birthday tomorrow, and Tuesday's my wife's. Many thanks to the great folks of Wakita for a fun time, were looking forward to the fifteenth. Pic's are up in my gallery, but without any descriptions. I'll try to get that done tonight.

http://pdswatch.com/index.php?option=com_g...llery&Itemid=32

I had a great time in Wakita. When the movie came out, I looked up the town and decided one day I would go and check it out. It took 10 years but I am glad I finally made it. Everyone was so nice and friendly. I was really nervous cause this time I wouldn't be drugged like I was in Denver, but everyone got along great. Of course I didn't know people would actually post me dancing in the street on here! :oops:

I look forward to seeing everyone out in the field!

Kanani

Back