Real names, again

Jason Bolt

We've had this discussion several times. Lately I've noticed an influx of members signing up not using real names. I'd like to suggest a dose of 30 day IP ban for anyone who doesn't sign up using their real name. How hard is it to read the rules? If someone can't pay attention to the rules when they sign up, how can we expect them to follow any of the other rules?

How about as a membership requirement, we institute a mandatory test. The test would consist of being directed to a page listing all the rules with some words omitted and blanks put in their place. The applicant would then need to READ the rules and put the correct word in the blank. Anything less than 100% would require the applicant to wait a week and try again.

You've seen ACCEPTED members without? Or you're seeing the "newest members" list which is not the same thing as someone who has rights here?

I agree with Jason. If new members can't follow the rules, then they don't need to be a member here. A mandatory test sounds good to me. It amazes me that people can't read a few lines of rules and follow them.

Those you've seen posting without their real names are cooperating and we're getting those changed for them. Moderators do not have the power to change user names, only administrators can, but hopefully we'll get those changed soon. We have also discussed measures to keep violators in check in the future.

On a related note, I've had requests from users who'd like their names formatted differently. If you're one of them, speak up and we'll see if we can put that in for you when we change these other user's names.

I was all set to add my agreement re the use of mandatory real names and an overall familiarity and compliance with the forum rules. Before I chimed in, though, I figured I ought to get an exact read on the rule regarding member names. I did, and directly after reading the opening line mandating real names, I came across this: "Pseudonyms are permitted to allow users a measure of privacy, but we reserve the right to terminate an account if a user is publicizing their use of a pseudonym, is using a famous name, or is using the pseudonym as a sockpuppet account or to circumvent a ban."

I find this confusing. Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly, but the opening clause seems to contradict the real-names-only policy. Can a moderator or perhaps Tim elaborate on the highlighted statement. The present wording seems to say, "You can only use a real name, unless you want to use a pseudonym."

I don't think you have to use your real name, just a real name. My name of course is Jason Boggs. I could have signed up using a name such as Jason Smith to keep the privacy of my real name intact. Now, I can't sign up using a name such as Jason Smith, and let my real name come out at any time. I have to make people beleive my real name is Jason Smith if I sign up with that real name.

I was all set to add my agreement re the use of mandatory real names and an overall familiarity and compliance with the forum rules. Before I chimed in, though, I figured I ought to get an exact read on the rule regarding member names. I did, and directly after reading the opening line mandating real names, I came across this: "Pseudonyms are permitted to allow users a measure of privacy, but we reserve the right to terminate an account if a user is publicizing their use of a pseudonym, is using a famous name, or is using the pseudonym as a sockpuppet account or to circumvent a ban."

I find this confusing. Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly, but the opening clause seems to contradict the real-names-only policy. Can a moderator or perhaps Tim elaborate on the highlighted statement. The present wording seems to say, "You can only use a real name, unless you want to use a pseudonym."

I think it just means you can use an acceptable form of a name...such as Dick instead of Richard or Mikey instead of Michael. Im guessing this would apply to first names more than last names...if I'm wrong a mod can correct me.

I think it just means you can use an acceptable form of a name...such as Dick instead of Richard or Mikey instead of Michael. Im guessing this would apply to first names more than last names...if I'm wrong a mod can correct me.

A pseudonym is a name other than your own that you use to not reveal your true identity. It means you can sign up for Stormtrack using a name other than your own, but you can't let people know you are doing it. Kind of like don't ask don't tell.

Ah, yea that kind of doesn't make sense then as far as the policy goes...might as well use an alias if thats the case.

Ah, yea that kind of doesn't make sense then as far as the policy goes...might as well use an alias if thats the case.

Alias names get annoying for some people. Names that are real or look real are much better to read.

Don't mind using my real name, prefer it in fact, even though I write my poetry under a different moniker. If I get to meet any of y'all next season, would want to know your real names. =]

An alias is in fact exactly the same as a pseudonym. You can also call it a nom de plume or nom de guerre if you want to really impress people (and have them give you weird looks, and roll their eyes, and avoid you). :)

Since I was on staff when that policy was written I can help clarify it. There were certain people, because of their (gov) employment, that wanted to participate but not use their real names. There were also a couple of others that had "family issues" that didn't want to use their real name.

So allowing a believable fake name was ok, as long as you didn't parade it around you were using a fake name and it' wasn't Dick Cheney or something.

Thanks, David. That makes sense. Of course, it opens the door for anyone to use a pseudonym for any reason--after all, who's gonna know?--but I guess that's something that Stormtrack is willing to accept.

Yea, I have to admit, Jason Boggs isn't my real name. I'm actually Wade Boggs. Yea, you got it, the famous baseball player.

Well, since it looks like the option is open to me, I might just switch my name to something cooler. I kinda like Duke Choswell. Has a nice ring to it, I'm thinkin'. Only problem is, I look like an idiot in a cowboy hat.

I see Josh 4184 is still around. Is he not going to obey the simple rules of the forum? :confused:

17851037.png

Unique Name

My name is Larry J. Kosch. It's unique enough not to be confused with a famous celebrity :) or a infamous criminal :mad: Which is nice!!

In keeping in line with the topic of this thread, I did not mind putting in my real name when I applied for Stormtrack membership. I want to be known to other storm chasers and weather watchers alike.

I put in my middle initial to avoid confusion as to which Larry I am. :confused: If you checked Facebook or Twitter, you will find quite a few names like mine!

I had a second cousin that was named "Larry Kosch" like me. Which created a lot of confusion when this second cousin was killed in a motorcycle accident back in the late 1970's. I caused a lot of shock :eek: and second looks when I showed up late for my journalism class. My instructor was just informing the class of my death when I showed up!! :D

I see Josh 4184 is still around. Is he not going to obey the simple rules of the forum? :confused:

17851037.png

post_old.gif
12-09-2009, 06:43 PM #5 Skip Talbot
Stormtrack Moderator

icon1.gif

Those you've seen posting without their real names are cooperating and we're getting those changed for them. Moderators do not have the power to change user names, only administrators can, but hopefully we'll get those changed soon. We have also discussed measures to keep violators in check in the future.

On a related note, I've had requests from users who'd like their names formatted differently. If you're one of them, speak up and we'll see if we can put that in for you when we change these other user's names.

Just waiting on Tim apparently.. ;)
http://www.skip.cc/

For reference of the previous discussions:
http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22018
http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20679
And Tim's Poll a little while back.
http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14056

My personal preference would be 100% real names, with only exceptions being for a designator for folks with the same name. Some of the initials are annoying to me too (just a personal thing). In place of the shortened screen names, putting your full name in the signature line would be a good idea in my book. This goes double for folks who may have 'messed up' in the sign-up process and are awaiting corrected screen names.

Not about real names but...

Seriously can we do something? I remember when I signed up, I had to submit an essay and APPLY just to be a member of the board. Now anybody with a keyboard, a cool screen name, and an attitude problem can be a member. Seeing a newbie smart off to someone for politely suggesting using the search feature is just rediculous. I am serious about requiring a test, having an essay and a membership committee, something besides open cattle call.

Don't worry about josh4184... we're aware of it, but there's the matter of me showing up and then the matter of communicating with him about what username he intends to use. These things take a few days sometimes. The important thing is that it's against the rules and will be dealt with.

We will likely start moderating applications over the next week or two to help cut down on some of this, but specifics haven't been worked out. We're also about to install vBulletin 4.0 so some of this will depend on what add-ons are available and how flexible the new upgrade is.

Tim

Back