Problems with SPC website?

I guess this ought to be moved to the Everything else. I put it here initially because the problem only seems to be related to the SPC website, something I use every day!

This is a strange problem...some troubleshooting tips:

Obviously, you can access other sites on the internet so it doesn't look like an internal problem (i.e. a problem with any of your equipment).

Can you post what IP www.spc.noaa.gov resolves to?

edit: you already posted this. The IP you provided looks fine to me.

Can you ping www.spc.noaa.gov?

edit: you said you can't ping it. That's normal. The network administrators are probably blocking ICMP echo requests at their border routers.

What's the output of running a traceroute to www.spc.noaa.gov?

I've troubleshot issues like this before, hopefully we can get it worked out for you...

edit: You say you have two routers. Why do you have two?

Also, check your "hosts" file. It's usually located in %systemrootsystem32driversetc, where %systemroot is where your windows installation lives, usually c:windows or c:winnt.

Open the file in notepad. Asides from the lines prefixed with "#', there should be one line that says "127.0.0.1 localhost". If there are any other lines, remove them.

Originally posted by Zach Bailey

edit: You say you have two routers. Why do you have two?

One is in the attic. The wireless broadband plugs into it. It's a DLINK. ( I actually set all that up with it's own electrical circuit in the attic so I can easily reset those from the breaker box!)

There are two cat5 cables that run out from it through the walls and into one bedroom where one computer is and the other to the living room. We have two computers in the living room, so a second wireless LINKSYS router has the line coming out of the wall into it, and then our two desktop computers cat5 into that. Since it's wireless it's the one I run the laptop on two. (It's not uncommon for me to be working on both the desktop and laptop at the same time.)

Ideally, I would like to have the LINKSYS wireless the one in the attic, but the wireless broadband company says LINKSYS routers muck up their equipment, so I have to "hide" it behind the DLINK anyway.

Now we also have DSL coming into the phone line in the living room, and the box for it sits next to the LINKSYS. The wireless broadband is only about 70% reliable, so when it's down, I plug the DSL into the router and we use it as a backup.

Anyway, that's why I have two routers. :)

Well, it's currently plugged into the DSL. I rebooted the LINKSYS and the DSL box and now I can again access SPC. I think something in the DSL box was fubar.

thanks for the help folks.

SPC ALTERNATIVE

I AM LOOKING FOR A FREE WEBSITE THAT OFFERS MORE DETAIL THAN SPC
i cant see freeways or rivers or counties - any suggestions on getting more detailed without paying for it?

Re: SPC ALTERNATIVE

Originally posted by bill mudd
I AM LOOKING FOR A FREE WEBSITE THAT OFFERS MORE DETAIL THAN SPC
i cant see freeways or rivers or counties - any suggestions on getting more detailed without paying for it?

Though this is off topic (and maybe not worth a whole new thread), what exactly are you looking for? Do you just want to overlay counties onto the convective outlook maps, a higher resolution objective analysis, etc? SPC's mesoanalysis page is hands down one of the best on the net, and is used widely by NWSFO. You can't really get much better horizontal resolution than that, since it would require more surface obs (much of the data is integrated with the RUC forecast model anyways, and re-calculated).

Back