Problems with SPC website?

Is anyone else having problems getting the SPC website? For several days now I am unable to access their site via either Netscape or IE. The browsers time out whenever I try to access the site. It's happening on Gayla's computer as well. Can't get any page on their site whatsoever for days now.

Oddly enough, I can access it through AOL, using my wireless ISP, but I can't access it directly through a browser, either by URL or IP. I can't even ping it.

Not having any trouble with any other websites I have noticed.

Well, I can get the NWS sites ok. I can also get gov.gov ok as well.

I can't get noaa.gov, but I can get nhc.noaa.gov

Can also get ncdc.noaa.gov as well.

BTW, I know the DNS server our ISP uses is working, because when I ping spc.noaa.gov it returns the IP address, it just can't connect.

The firewall we are behind is a router, two of them actually. Nothing has changed one those by me. We use DSL and Wireless Broadband and all I change is switch the cable out and reboot the router if one of the services goes down. Because we are behind two firewalled routers, I don't enable the windows firewall crap or anything else like that directly on this machine.

Perhaps the DNS server your ISP is using is out of date.

Oddly enough, for me the DNS for noaa.gov resolves to 192.64.69.61, which points to some default Debian Linux server page, and the SPC page resolves to 140.90.198.133, which is still a NOAA site but not quite the SPC.

If on Win2K/XP, you could try ipconfig /flushdns from the command prompt.

It may or may not work. Occasionally it's worked for me. From Micro$oft

"The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, if necessary, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well as, any other dynamically added entries. "

EDIT...
I had problems like this a couple months back. My ISP support told me to reset my router and cable modem, then reboot the PC. This worked. The only time my ISP support has been helpful. :D

You could try just using the IP in the address instead of the domain name. If that works, then while the DNS server may be running from your ISP, it may not be up to date.

Glen

Originally posted by Rockwell Schrock
Perhaps the DNS server your ISP is using is out of date.

Oddly enough, for me the DNS for noaa.gov resolves to 192.64.69.61, which points to some default Debian Linux server page, and the SPC page resolves to 140.90.198.133, which is still a NOAA site but not quite the SPC.

When I ping it in DOS window it pings resolves to 140.90.198.133 but will not ping it.

Originally posted by Glen Romine
You could try just using the IP in the address instead of the domain name. If that works, then while the DNS server may be running from your ISP, it may not be up to date.

Glen
'

Tried that already, it times out with IP only also. If it was the DNS server on the ISP not being up to date, that wouldn't explain why all of a sudden it stopped working. Unless SPC changed their IP recently.

Originally posted by GPhillips
If on Win2K/XP, you could try ipconfig /flushdns from the command prompt.

It may or may not work. Occasionally it's worked for me. From Micro$oft

\"The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, if necessary, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well as, any other dynamically added entries. \"

EDIT...
I had problems like this a couple months back. My ISP support told me to reset my router and cable modem, then reboot the PC. This worked. The only time my ISP support has been helpful. :D

Ok, did the flush DNS thing, still times out.

The way my setup is. On the roof is the antenna/radio for the wireless broadband. That comes into the attic where it goes into one router that is wired out through the walls to the bedroom and living room. In the living room it plugs into a second router that our two computers plug in to, which is also a wireless router I use with the laptop. DSL is also piped into the living room so I can switcht the two by switching the cable on the back and rebooting that router.

I am going to go cold start everything and see what happens.

Back