• Stormtrack's forum runs on Xenforo forum software, which will be undergoing a major update the evening of Wednesday, Feb 28th. The site may be down for a period while that update takes place.

Problems with SPC website?

Is anyone else having problems getting the SPC website? For several days now I am unable to access their site via either Netscape or IE. The browsers time out whenever I try to access the site. It's happening on Gayla's computer as well. Can't get any page on their site whatsoever for days now.
 
Oddly enough, I can access it through AOL, using my wireless ISP, but I can't access it directly through a browser, either by URL or IP. I can't even ping it.

Not having any trouble with any other websites I have noticed.
 
That is odd... It's actually working really fast for me. As Chris said, are you able to get into other government websites?
 
Well, I can get the NWS sites ok. I can also get gov.gov ok as well.

I can't get noaa.gov, but I can get nhc.noaa.gov

Can also get ncdc.noaa.gov as well.
 
BTW, I know the DNS server our ISP uses is working, because when I ping spc.noaa.gov it returns the IP address, it just can't connect.
 
Originally posted by David Drummond
Well, I can get the NWS sites ok. I can also get gov.gov ok as well.

I can't get noaa.gov, but I can get nhc.noaa.gov

Can also get ncdc.noaa.gov as well.

That's really odd. I'm sure you have gone over any firewall settings/etc., perhaps it is something on their end?
 
The firewall we are behind is a router, two of them actually. Nothing has changed one those by me. We use DSL and Wireless Broadband and all I change is switch the cable out and reboot the router if one of the services goes down. Because we are behind two firewalled routers, I don't enable the windows firewall crap or anything else like that directly on this machine.
 
Perhaps the DNS server your ISP is using is out of date.

Oddly enough, for me the DNS for noaa.gov resolves to 192.64.69.61, which points to some default Debian Linux server page, and the SPC page resolves to 140.90.198.133, which is still a NOAA site but not quite the SPC.
 
If on Win2K/XP, you could try ipconfig /flushdns from the command prompt.

It may or may not work. Occasionally it's worked for me. From Micro$oft

"The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, if necessary, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well as, any other dynamically added entries. "

EDIT...
I had problems like this a couple months back. My ISP support told me to reset my router and cable modem, then reboot the PC. This worked. The only time my ISP support has been helpful. :D
 
You could try just using the IP in the address instead of the domain name. If that works, then while the DNS server may be running from your ISP, it may not be up to date.

Glen
 
Originally posted by Rockwell Schrock
Perhaps the DNS server your ISP is using is out of date.

Oddly enough, for me the DNS for noaa.gov resolves to 192.64.69.61, which points to some default Debian Linux server page, and the SPC page resolves to 140.90.198.133, which is still a NOAA site but not quite the SPC.


When I ping it in DOS window it pings resolves to 140.90.198.133 but will not ping it.
 
Originally posted by Glen Romine
You could try just using the IP in the address instead of the domain name. If that works, then while the DNS server may be running from your ISP, it may not be up to date.

Glen
'

Tried that already, it times out with IP only also. If it was the DNS server on the ISP not being up to date, that wouldn't explain why all of a sudden it stopped working. Unless SPC changed their IP recently.
 
Originally posted by GPhillips
If on Win2K/XP, you could try ipconfig /flushdns from the command prompt.

It may or may not work. Occasionally it's worked for me. From Micro$oft

\"The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, if necessary, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well as, any other dynamically added entries. \"

EDIT...
I had problems like this a couple months back. My ISP support told me to reset my router and cable modem, then reboot the PC. This worked. The only time my ISP support has been helpful. :D

Ok, did the flush DNS thing, still times out.

The way my setup is. On the roof is the antenna/radio for the wireless broadband. That comes into the attic where it goes into one router that is wired out through the walls to the bedroom and living room. In the living room it plugs into a second router that our two computers plug in to, which is also a wireless router I use with the laptop. DSL is also piped into the living room so I can switcht the two by switching the cable on the back and rebooting that router.

I am going to go cold start everything and see what happens.
 
I guess this ought to be moved to the Everything else. I put it here initially because the problem only seems to be related to the SPC website, something I use every day!
 
This is a strange problem...some troubleshooting tips:

Obviously, you can access other sites on the internet so it doesn't look like an internal problem (i.e. a problem with any of your equipment).

Can you post what IP www.spc.noaa.gov resolves to?

edit: you already posted this. The IP you provided looks fine to me.

Can you ping www.spc.noaa.gov?

edit: you said you can't ping it. That's normal. The network administrators are probably blocking ICMP echo requests at their border routers.

What's the output of running a traceroute to www.spc.noaa.gov?

I've troubleshot issues like this before, hopefully we can get it worked out for you...

edit: You say you have two routers. Why do you have two?

Also, check your "hosts" file. It's usually located in %systemrootsystem32driversetc, where %systemroot is where your windows installation lives, usually c:windows or c:winnt.

Open the file in notepad. Asides from the lines prefixed with "#', there should be one line that says "127.0.0.1 localhost". If there are any other lines, remove them.
 
Originally posted by Zach Bailey

edit: You say you have two routers. Why do you have two?

One is in the attic. The wireless broadband plugs into it. It's a DLINK. ( I actually set all that up with it's own electrical circuit in the attic so I can easily reset those from the breaker box!)

There are two cat5 cables that run out from it through the walls and into one bedroom where one computer is and the other to the living room. We have two computers in the living room, so a second wireless LINKSYS router has the line coming out of the wall into it, and then our two desktop computers cat5 into that. Since it's wireless it's the one I run the laptop on two. (It's not uncommon for me to be working on both the desktop and laptop at the same time.)

Ideally, I would like to have the LINKSYS wireless the one in the attic, but the wireless broadband company says LINKSYS routers muck up their equipment, so I have to "hide" it behind the DLINK anyway.

Now we also have DSL coming into the phone line in the living room, and the box for it sits next to the LINKSYS. The wireless broadband is only about 70% reliable, so when it's down, I plug the DSL into the router and we use it as a backup.

Anyway, that's why I have two routers. :)

Well, it's currently plugged into the DSL. I rebooted the LINKSYS and the DSL box and now I can again access SPC. I think something in the DSL box was fubar.

thanks for the help folks.
 
SPC ALTERNATIVE

I AM LOOKING FOR A FREE WEBSITE THAT OFFERS MORE DETAIL THAN SPC
i cant see freeways or rivers or counties - any suggestions on getting more detailed without paying for it?
 
Re: SPC ALTERNATIVE

Originally posted by bill mudd
I AM LOOKING FOR A FREE WEBSITE THAT OFFERS MORE DETAIL THAN SPC
i cant see freeways or rivers or counties - any suggestions on getting more detailed without paying for it?

Though this is off topic (and maybe not worth a whole new thread), what exactly are you looking for? Do you just want to overlay counties onto the convective outlook maps, a higher resolution objective analysis, etc? SPC's mesoanalysis page is hands down one of the best on the net, and is used widely by NWSFO. You can't really get much better horizontal resolution than that, since it would require more surface obs (much of the data is integrated with the RUC forecast model anyways, and re-calculated).
 
Back
Top