OK/AR "mountain enhanced" snow accumulations

David Demko

An interesting situation in the hills and mountains of far southeastern Oklahoma and west-central Arkansas, as it appears that snowfall totals from the recent storm were considerably greater in the higher elevations of the Ouachita Mountains than the surrounding lowlands and valleys. WFO Tulsa talks about this in their post-storm summary:

SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES IN SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WERE OBSERVED BETWEEN
VALLEYS AND RIDGE TOPS FROM PUSHMATAHA AND LE FLORE COUNTIES
...NORTHEASTWARD TO MADISON AND CARROLL COUNTIES. ELEVATION
DIFFERENCES OF EVEN ONE THOUSAND FEET RESULTED IN LITTLE OR NO
MELTING NEAR THE RIDGE TOPS DURING THE EVENT...WHILE SOME MELTING
OF THE SNOWFALL DID OCCUR IN THE VALLEYS. IN FACT...RADAR ENHANCED
SNOWFALL ESTIMATES INDICATE AS MUCH AS 20 INCHES OF SNOW FELL ON
RIDGE TOPS IN SOUTHERN LE FLORE COUNTY.
Snowfall accumulation map from WFO Tulsa

I began to wonder if this might be the case yesterday when surface temperatures (as measured at ASOS, AWOS, and Oklahoma Mesonet stations -- all generally located at lower elevations) in that region were hovering around or just above freezing during the event.

With relatively warm air temperatures, and an already warm ground (5 cm sod temperatures were in the mid-40's), snowfall accumulation efficiencies could not have been all that great. Indeed, judging by the local storm reports, accumulations seem to be confined to the 3 to 6 inch range across most of northern Le Flore County, Oklahoma, and Sebastian County, Arkansas, despite a fairly long duration moderate to heavy snow event. Across more rugged areas in the southern reaches of those same counties, however, accumulations of 10 to 14 inches (such as the 14 inch total reported 6 NE of Big Cedar, OK near the Talimena scenic highway in southern Le Flore County) are common. WFO Tulsa indicates an "observed" total of 20 inches on their map in far southern Le Flore County, but I never saw a LSR for that one (they did mention the "estimate" of 20 inches in their post-storm statement though).

As those who have had the great pleasure of trying to chase in this area can undoubtedly attest to, some of the ridge tops across southern Le Flore County and surrounding areas are rather tall, reaching over 2500 feet above mean sea level (most ridges generally between 1750 and 2250 feet AMSL). Valley elevations are typically around 500 to 700 feet AMSL. See this shaded relief map. The elevation of the Talihina (TALI) and Wister (WIST) Oklahoma Mesonet sites (both in Le Flore County) are 669 feet AMSL and 469 feet AMSL, respectively. Surface air temperatures at both sites never once fell below freezing for the duration of the snow event (both hovered around 33F). The FSM ASOS (~460 feet AMSL) seemed pegged at 33F too.

Regional soundings appear to indicate that a relatively well-mixed, though shallow (about 50 mb deep), boundary layer existed in this area. The 2008-03-06 1800 UTC Fort Worth, TX sounding, launched as the heavier rain and snow was beginning to move through the DFW metro, gave a surface temperature of 34F and a 2000 feet AGL temperature of 27F. So, assuming a nearly identical near-surface thermodynamic profile existed farther north and east hours later, the 1000 to 1750 feet elevation differential from lowlands to ridge tops across SE OK and W AR would equate to a temperature drop of roughly 3F to 6F from valley to peak...giving ridge top air temperatures closer to 28F (valley temp 33F) and providing for much more efficient snow accumulation in the highlands.

There were likely some other factors in play here which aided in the enhanced accumulations -- including what looks to be generally higher liquid-equivalent precipitation totals toward the south and east and possible localized orograpic lifting effects, the latter of which is near to impossible to quantify. However, all things being equal, if air temperatures were in fact in the mid to upper-20's on the ridgelines while valleys remained above freezing, I would expect that the impact on snow accumulation totals would be considerable.

Just really interesting to see a phenomena more commonly thought of being associated with the Rockies, Pacific coastal ranges, Sierra Nevada, Appalachians, etc. manifesting itself in Oklahoma and Arkansas' little Ouachita range! I would certainly be interested to know if any Stormtrackers have firsthand observations of this or additional meteorological insight.

Well I live at 1600 feet North of Ozark in Franklin County Arkansas. Yesterday before the roads got too bad I made a little video showing the difference between the snow totals near Ozark (<800 feet - 0 snow) and our house at 1600 - 3 inches at that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0te959y1XoU

We began as rain but quickly changed over to snow. The temperature was at 31 degrees from about 9am (March 6) on but in Ozark the temp was above freezing nearly the entire event. We ended up with 8-9 inches while the valley had 2-5. They don't have any snow left down there while we still have 5-6 inches. btw, I think Mount Magazine probably now has had over 30 inches of snow total this winter and 3+ inches of freezing rain while in the valley and lower elevations around there have had 1/4 or less of that.

Well I live at 1600 feet North of Ozark in Franklin County Arkansas. Yesterday before the roads got too bad I made a little video showing the difference between the snow totals near Ozark (<800 feet - 0 snow) and our house at 1600 - 3 inches at that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0te959y1XoU

We began as rain but quickly changed over to snow. The temperature was at 31 degrees from about 9am (March 6) on but in Ozark the temp was above freezing nearly the entire event. We ended up with 8-9 inches while the valley had 2-5. They don't have any snow left down there while we still have 5-6 inches. btw, I think Mount Magazine probably now has had over 30 inches of snow total this winter and 3+ inches of freezing rain while in the valley and lower elevations around there have had 1/4 or less of that.

Wow -- really cool video clip! That's quite a dramatic difference achieved by gaining ~900' of elevation. Looks like that driving distance was about 5-6 miles? Mountain weather fascinates me.

There was enough of a break in the clouds this afternoon to get a glimpse of the snow cover across southeastern OK via visible satellite. The ridgelines in Le Flore County stick out like sore thumbs.

snow.jpg

I was born and raised in Arkansas and regularly went hiking in the Ozarks in the 1990s (my 20s). I remember once hiking in the Buffalo National River area, hiking from a thick covering of snow downward toward the river gorge, moving out of the snow on the way down. The ridges were clearly "snow-capped" that day at about the 1,800-2,000 foot level. I know there are often a few days each winter when Mount Magazine or Rich Mountain in western Arkansas, both over 2,600 feet, will have snow or ice at their summits while it's cold rain below.

Back