• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

01-25-2023 IL: Photogenic Heavy Wet Snow

We got another photogenic snowfall event in as many as 3 days yesterday and I was out to snap a few photographs. Generally about 4 1/2" of heavy wet concrete like snow fell across the area. I managed to even snap a Barred Owl at dawn in the midst of the heavy snow falling. Been a pretty slow winter and so far this is our biggest snow of the season which is pretty sad to say the least (I have to go clear back to 2011-2012 to make that statement when we got 5" on January 11-12th and that was it for the year!). So hopefully not as bad of winter as 11 years ago but we will see!

_DSC4304-Enhanced.jpg

DSC02928-Enhanced.jpg

_DSC4356.jpg

DSC03000-Enhanced.jpg

DSC03028-Enhanced.jpg

DSC03023-Enhanced.jpg

_DSC4264.jpg

DSC02949-Enhanced.jpg

The lenses and cameras used were the Sony A7SIII and 24-70mm F/2.8 GM II and the Sony A1 and 135mm F/1.8 GM as well. We have only had a few events this winter, but so far each event has been fairly photogenic. Photos taken around Macomb, IL and McDonough County in West Central Illinois on January 25, 2023.

Thank you!! Sadly this is our biggest snowfall of the 2022-23 season so far (around 4.5"). This is usually a typical snowfall for our area, but this winter has been fairly mild and really anything but typical. Lot of locations are struggling to crack 12" for the season thus far. Unless February and March come in swinging, I'm expecting a fairly lame winter overall.

Nice photos (I especially like the river one)!
Cold snowy weather always does make for some beautiful pic's!

Here in CO we've had more snow and cold than normal. Certainly good for the drought issue, (but not good for when cities/counties don't know how to plow neighborhood streets!)

Last edited:
Amazing fotos. Beautiful winter😍
I absolutely love the snowy winter season! The sight of snow-covered landscapes and the crisp, chilly air create a magical atmosphere. It's a time when everything feels peaceful and serene.

During winter break, one of my favorite activities is playing video games and use coaching service. With the extra free time, I can fully indulge in gaming and explore different virtual worlds. It's a great way to relax, unwind, and immerse myself in exciting adventures or competitive gameplay.

Curling up by the fireplace with a hot cup of cocoa while delving into a captivating game is the perfect way to spend those cozy winter days. The combination of the beautiful snowy scenery outside and the immersive virtual worlds inside creates a delightful contrast and makes gaming even more enjoyable during the holiday season.

Back