• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

01-15-2022/01-16-2022 Heavy Snow, Freezing Fog, Hoar Frost: IL

We had our second significant snowfall of the season on Friday night into Saturday morning which left for quite a few photogenic scenes across West Central IL. Snowfall reports ranged from 5" just E of here to over 10" in Southeast Iowa. Parts of Central Iowa were slammed with up to 15" of snow near Des Moines (14.3" officially). I measured over 6" here at home, however with compaction it was difficult to judge, this was quite a wet snow with a water to snow ratio likely somewhere around 5-8:1.

Anyway here are several photographs I managed to capture yesterday and this morning. This morning was exceptional with a beautiful sunrise, hoar frost all over most of the trees, some rime ice in areas, and heavy snow still stuck to everything.

It was also well below zero as well, I had hoped for a sun dog, but no luck!

_DSC9673.jpg
Heavy snow falling early Saturday morning with strong wind gusts blowing it around creating low visibility.

_DSC9812.jpg
Snow covered path through the woods after the snow stopped Saturday morning

_DSC9788.jpg
Another snowy hike through the woods

_DSC9933.jpg
Western Illinois University sign with heavy snow coating the landscape on Saturday morning

_DSC9727.jpg

_DSC0648.jpg
Sunrise this morning near Spring Lake outside Macomb, IL. My car registered a balmy 6 degrees below zero at sunrise.

_DSC0678.jpg
Frosty morning with the sun peeking over the horizon near Lakeview Nature Preserve in McDonough County, IL

_DSC0493.jpg
Snowy sunrise

_DSC0757.jpg
Another snowy scene behind the WIU agricultural center.

_DSC0904.jpg
Overlook high above Macomb as the fog started to lift this morning around 9am.

All the images I shot were using a Sony A7RIII and 70-200mm F/2.8 GM lens, 100-400mm F/4-5.6 GM lens, and 24mm F/1.4 GM lens in and around Macomb and Western Illinois.

Back