*New Users. Meet and Greet Area*

Huh looks like this topic hasn't been posted in for 3 months now so let me be the one to break the silence.

My name is Austin Grubb. I am 19 years old and plan to become a weather forecaster (not a TV personality, mind you), perhaps with the National Weather Service or even smaller organizations. My current plan is to get an Associate's Degree in Physical Science from Parkland Community College in Champaign, IL followed by a Bachelor's in Meteorology from a university. My eye is currently on Western Illinois University in Quad Cities, IL for that. Previously accepted an Saint Louis University last semester, I had to turn it down due to incredibly difficult tuition costs even though I got a $16,000 scholarship.

I've had an interest in weather since I was about six years old, but that interest began as an irrational fear that I simply wanted to know more about. I was specifically terrified of tornadoes. . . the devices that connected the clouds to the earth and rampaged the landscape in destruction with little to no warning. I was particularly scared of nighttime thunderstorms. I was young but I was not stupid and knew that tornadoes and darkness were two things that did not go well together when you regard the fragility of human life and property.

By the time I was seven, I was that kid in my 2nd grade classroom who read from a meteorology textbook that my dad used in college for my independent reading time. Even more surprising was that I was actually reading it and picking up information. Due to my asocial behavior, a possible mental hindrance, and overall terrible teachers, I was removed from that school as well as the public school system altogether, where I received nearly the entirety of my education as a homeschooled student (except for some high school classes, extracurricular activities from other homeschool sources, dual enrollment at community college, etc). Of course, being a homeschooled student gave me more freedom to choose what I wanted to invest my time in learning and use my free time pursuing dreams instead of doing busy-time homework. I remember one of the first times that my weather knowledge spilled out of my brain cavity was when I was nine or ten years old. I was attending a Vacation Bible School session at a church nearby when a Tornado Warning was issued for our area. A few hundred kids and volunteers had to take refuge in the bathrooms (I had to go in a girls' bathroom smh) until an all-clear was announced. There was a brief touchdown nearby in Urbana, IL but damage was limited if any at all. Afterwards, too much time had been spent hiding in bathrooms that activities were outright cancelled until our parents came to pick us up. The entire hour wait was spent with me taking the role of professor and actually lecturing what was happening in the atmosphere to the volunteers, who were all high school and college students who had never even heard of anything that I was talking about.

My interest in storm chasing was not apparent until I was a teenager. I was always a cautious child and anything that had a possibility of danger or thrill were always discarded as something that I would not want to do (I still hate amusement parks, particularly roller coasters). Watching documentaries, studying chasing strategies, and even listening to firsthand accounts from chasers and relatives who had seen tornadoes got me thinking, "I wanna see what these people have seen." Then 2011 happened. Tornadoes rampaged across the country slaughtering people like a fox in a henhouse. Joplin. Alabama. Even St. Louis where I live now. Very few Midwest areas were spared from Mother Nature's wrath. From there, I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to be those people on the field who follows the storm and communicates back to the NWS, law enforcement, and the local news on what I find. What could be better than helping people while pumping the veins with adrenaline at the same time? Of course, there are other reasons besides that, but now all I really want to do is chase my career in weather while hobbying as a storm chaser, which is generally a seasonal job.

Just over the past month or so, I've been actively searching for some of my first equipment. My agenda of some of the first things to get are a good smartphone for Wi-Fi and quick searches, a dash camera both for the road as well as storm chasing recordings (1080p, 32GB card compatible), a decent camcorder for recording footage, a removable anemometer (or even portable weather equipment that is good for use on the road, but def an anemometer since wind is kinda important...) for my roof, and a weather radio that will stay in the car at all times (handy for broadcasts on the go). Although bent on storm chasing, I don't have any friends who are even remotely interested in weather (much less storm chasing). I'd like to find some people who do where I don't have to drive 100 miles just to go visit somebody. If I don't find anyone by spring and the opportunity arises to go after something, I'm going to be winging it as driver, commander, and spotter and I'd rather not do that.

Uh, oh yeah, I think that's it.

Hello everyone and well met. My name is Tim Bejster, I have been viewing these forums for a little over two years and finally took the initiative to become a member. I currently reside in Illinois outside the rural town of Dixon. I have a 2 year old daughter who keeps me busy, as well as my wonderful wife.

A brief background: Ever since I can remember I have had an interest in Meteorology. Even in school where the question would be: What do you want to be when you grow up? My answer would be meteorologist, which would shock the teacher as most answers were doctor, lawyer, astronaut, and garbage man. I became a storm spotter in 2000. Since 2009 I have became more actively 'pursuing' storms across central and northern Illinois. I don't consider myself a chaser as I don't travel far distances to catch a storm. I usually stay local more so now that I have a daughter which has led me to having more responsibilities. I keep an extremely low profile as that is pretty much the way I live my life. I'm not a big people person, but I do enjoy talking to people with the same interests, which has essentially pushed me to become a member here.

As mentioned, I have been viewing these forums the last 2 years and really have been learning a lot. When it comes to weather though, we never really stop learning. Something new is learned each year. One large reason I like these forums, is that we share our knowledge and findings. Also we share our stories, and we learn from those stories. Learning about weather is just one great thing I love about it. I'd like to continue learning with everyone, and increase my skills to get into 'better' (but safe) positions for that heightened experience.

I never became a meteorologist, though I did attend Northern Illinois University for the program, I could not comprehend calculus. I struggled with math my entire life, and unfortunately that blockaded me from pursuing my dream career. Currently I am majoring in Environmental Science as a part time student online (American Public University). I'm roughly 3 semesters from my Bachelors, and hope to find some career outdoors where I can still enjoy seeing the weather time to time.

I don't believe I've formally introduced myself yet. I'm Quincy Vagell and I have been storm chasing in the Plains/Midwest (sometimes Dixie) since the fall of 2013. Up until earlier this year, I lived in Connecticut, so my earlier storm encounters across the East Coast were essentially nothing compared to real chasing.

I studied meteorology at Western Connecticut State University until 2009, when I completed my degree. I have varied meteorological work experience, but I first got into a solid weather job when I became a weather producer for WTNH-TV in New Haven, Connecticut in 2012. In that role, I did occasional reporting on-air, but mainly worked online and with graphics. I left there in April of 2014 after saving up to do some chasing in the spring and summer, but also to figure out where I wanted to go for a career. Between April and September, I made six trips out to the Plains/Midwest/Dixie Alley, each of which ranged from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. This gave me plenty of opportunities to watch storms evolve and really get into the analytical side of predicting severe weather events. Without a doubt, I learned more that year than I ever did in college, at least in terms of radar meteorology and severe thunderstorm prediction.

The June 16-18, 2014 tornado outbreak was a pivotal moment for my chase career, as I saw at least eight tornadoes over that span and it made an otherwise lackluster-to-date first full chase season much more fulfilling. That was also a point that I really mastered the art of chasing alone. It's never easy or flawless, but I got a lot better during that series of events.

Later that summer, I landed a part-time gig at WREX-TV in Rockford, Illinois. It was a great learning experience, but I ultimately decided to pass up on signing a long-term contract with the station. It wasn't the right choice for me at that point in my career, between my experience, the salary and other details. I went back home to work part-time in an unrelated field to save up more money...

I chased full-time from late April through July of this year. I spent time with my aunt in Oklahoma City through late May, but later roamed around the Plains, Midwest and Tennessee Valley storm chasing almost every bonafide threat. As the season quieted down, I landed a job at The Weather Channel this summer as a digital meteorologist after they picked up on some of my storm chasing. I still occasionally get out to chase on weekends and vacations, and am hoping to get at least a few weeks off in the spring to chase again.

While I miss regular chasing, I did a number on my car this year, driving about 65,000 miles since April alone. It's probably happy for a bit of a break. The tally of storm chases has reached over 50 for this year. Long term, I plan on chasing as much as I can every year and eventually retiring to the Plains to chase, if not turning it into a full-time career at some point...

Hello everyone! Thought I should introduce myself my name is Brian Rose and live in kearney, Neraska. I have been interested in weather my whole life since childhood really. My first real weather related training was when I worked at the local airport and working on my private pilots license and took a true awareness of the weather.
And having directly been affected by severe weather events loosing a home to a tornado, and many other weather events such as large hail, ice storms, high straight line winds etc.
I have enjoyed photography my whole life but really got back into it about four years ago and alot of my images are weather related. So getting myself in a compromised position a time or too, thought I should get some training and try to understand cause and effects of weather related events.
So a couple years ago maybe three, I took a storm spotter Skywarn training class and from that point have watched hundreds of tutorials on weather and radar. Of course watching every quality chasing videos there is, and have taken a few classes off the NWS website.
Having been to the Stormtrack site several times thought it was time sign up, and really glad that I have, with all the experience and knowledge of the educated forum members in meteorology will be a great asset, and hopefully down the road be able to contribute to the forum.
Looking forward to meeting everyone and running into old friends is great! Thanks for your help.

Brian

Hey everyone. I'm Devin from California(I know right?). I'm 29 years old and I've been working on Wind turbines for a living for the past 4 years or so out at the Bird's Landing wind farm in Northern California, and prior to that I was enlisted US Navy as a Tomahawk Tech. I know it must seem weird for someone from California to be interested in severe weather, but it just kinda worked out that way. I saw a weak, short lived tornado in the Sacramento area when I was a kid and developed an intense interest in severe weather for reasons yet unknown to me. Unfortunately living in California and having a hectic childhood and early adulthood(military) worked against it and for a while it got put on the back burner. Chasing was something I really wanted to do at some point, but life often has other plans.

Now that I've been out of the military for several years and have gotten into a very stable career though, the fire was re-ignited and the opportunity to return to learning about severe weather and possibly even storm chase for the first time within the next few years has arisen and I'm working on learning the basics of the basics, of which this forum has been immensely useful for even with just casual browsing. Norcal has been known to have at least a few tornadoes a year(especially in an El Niño year, I'm looking at you Butte County) so who knows, maybe I'll get to do a few trial run chases out here before moving up to the big leagues some day down the road.

I look forward to learning more about Spotting and Chasing from you guys!

Welcome Devin, and best of luck on your venture into chasing.

With all of the technology and data today getting onto a tornado warned storm is fairly easy to do, it's just a numbers game really. Learn storm structure and how to read the sky so you can stay safe.

Good luck and safe travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack mobile app

Hi! My name is Brad Dormer, I live in Plattsmouth, Nebraska, I am 15 years old and extremely interested in weather. What got me interested into weather was when a tornado hit on my block in 2004, when I was only 3 years old, I watched the tornado from my basement window, I watched as shingles, sheds, and tree branches flew through the air not even 150 feet away. After that, I decided to get on the computer and look for weather related sites, I came across the Storm Prediction Center and I use that website nearly every day, severe weather or not. I also came across Reed Timmer and his Discovery channel show, Storm Chasers, I watched every episode and was extremely disappointed when I found out it wouldn't be aired anymore. After that, I decided to focus on school a lot more and attempt to get good grades in math and science because I knew I wanted to be a meteorologist or storm chaser. When I was around 10 years old, I discovered storm chasing streamers, which I watched EVERY SINGLE DAY there was severe weather, and 5 years later, I still do. You will almost always find me on Daniel Shaw's YouTube stream, or on TVNWeather. I will be attending my first Storm Spotter training course in Weeping Water, Nebraska on March 29th, and I cannot even begin to explain how excited I am for that.

Welcome aboard! You are just like most of us that we're interested in weather and especially severe weather ever since we were little kids. It won't ever leave you. Good luck with your future education!

Sent from my iPad using Stormtrack mobile app

Hello! I'm Andrew Constans, I moved to Omaha from Minneapolis for work about two months ago. When I lived in Minneapolis (and wasn't working or in class) I would take any chance I got to drive out to the southwest burbs and watch severe warned storms come in. Unfortunately we never got much beyond a decent looking shelf with damaging winds and small hail; forget rotation and good storm structure! One of my earliest memories is taking shelter from a tornado-warned storm, and along with my grandfather getting me involved with Skywarn, I'm not surprised that I'm excited about storm chasing. I've been interested in meteorology since a young age, but I'm approaching chasing more from the photography/video side of the hobby. I've spent the past four years working in collegiate athletics while earning my bachelor's in journalism, and since my career path took me to the plains I figured I'd check out another passion of mine. The first and last class I took in meteorology was back in my freshman year of college, I'm excited to brush up on my knowledge and get out there!

The attached photo is the only "bad" storm I've been in recently, I was caught in the path of a tor-warned cell in NE Ohio last June with my summer job.6bbb26302f28bce94dd71f9b81214489.jpg

You are definitely moving in the right direction for storms. Good luck in your new chase area.

Sent from my iPad using Stormtrack mobile app

Hello everyone.

My name is Anton Falco. I've always been an avid weather enthusiast beginning as a child when my house was struck by lightning. It left a good 3-4 inch diameter hole in the roof, and the sound was deafening. What started as a traumatic experience turned fear (I was afraid of storms for a good year after that), became a fascination at my current age of 28. Having been to ChaserCon and meeting several chasers this past January (many names look familiar), I'm here to learn from and share information among fellow chasers.

I have been to the Plains as part of a chasing tour (and plan to be this year as well), and thoroughly enjoy the photo/video aspect of documenting storms. That, and the meteorology, are what I've been crash coursing myself with while deciding what career path to go into; being a recent university grad. With the help of external resources, and this site, (especially the "Target Area" and the wealth of knowledge on display by the chasers in their posts), I feel I'm starting to become better as a forecaster. Being able to read and apply the information provided by SKEW-Ts, surface maps, etc. has been an ongoing process, but a rewarding one. I don't feel confident enough to step into and post in that section yet, but I'm getting there. At least I think.

I chase locally in southern Ontario, though, of course, we don't get the storms of the Great Plains. Tornado wise, it is more active than you'd think, though. My profile picture was of a Doppler radar tornado warned storm that hit the city of Hamilton on July 19, 2013. Excuse the cell phone shot, I didn't have a good camera at that time. Playing football at the time, the storm's inflow was strong enough to disrupt our QB's game before the storm ruined the rest of the game. We get a few of these caliber storms a season in the surrounding area. We also get some nasty snow and ice storms, and I have plenty of shots of that if any of you wish to see them. Just send me a message.

Anyway, happy to be here, and I hope to learn from and meet many of you.

Back