*New Users. Meet and Greet Area*

Hello everyone I am new to this site I am a local weather spot for an Emergency Management Agency for our county. Hoping to learn a bunch new tips and information on storms as I may be gettting a position as weather captin there.I have not seen much through out my life I have seen one tornado out in kansas when i lived out there and was not far from the joplin tornado as i lived in Pittsburg Ks. I have been able to see a few wall clouds and funnel clouds other than that not seen much here in illinois where i live but here in illinois where i live at they have had a few go through the area so any information i can learn is going to be great. been weather spotting since i was 16.

Hello, all! I have been lurking here for quite awhile before I decided to finally dive in. I have been interested in tornadoes and cloud structure pretty much since the Xenia tornado of the '74 outbreak. I lived about fifteen miles west of Xenia during that time and I'll never forget looking up at those mammatus clouds when riding my bike around the neighborhood as a pre-teen at that time and the baseball-sized hail (I'm sure my dad still has a Polaroid of that hail somewhere around the house). For a long time I would occasionally have really scary dreams about tornadoes. Having never actually seen a tornado, maybe that was from watching The Wizard of Oz as a child. Remarkably those terrifying dreams stopped once I started seeking out tornado videos on YouTube. I'm thinking that might have taken the mystery out of them.

Anyway I watching and reading about the storm-chasing adventures of Skip Talbot, Dan Robinson and others which led me here. I'm not a chaser myself but I enjoy reading about severe weather and watching the videos. In my opinion, the more extreme aspects of chasing is really just a passing fad and will probably die out on it's own accord. Right now I'm very much interested in any possible legislation regarding the activity of storm chasing and want to see where that's heading. I also think at least one state and/or county/municipality will try to ban storm chasing without a permit. Whether it's enforceable or passes legal muster remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Just like most here, I have started my love of weather from an early age. As a submarine sonar technician veteran I had to learn pattern recognition as it pertains to the way sound travels through the water. This ability, along with becoming active in the Accuweather.com forums as their supermoderator, helped me become self-taught. In 2011, I discovered a pattern recognition technique much like the wave 3 and wave 5 pattern recognition techniques that have multiple research papers on the subjects. I have coined the pattern recognition technique the 'Bering Sea Rule'. Since then, the University of Missouri Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences department has supported my work by helping me author multiple research papers that I have presented to the National AMS Conference in New Orleans, local AMS meeting in Kansas City, the Indiana Storm Chasers Convention in Indianapolis, and the Climate Prediction Center Diagnostic Workshops in St. Louis and Denver respectfully. We are going to present and oral presentation at the National Weather Association Annual Conference at Norfolk, VA and are awaiting our standing with the CPCDW outside of Bangor, ME along with the 2017 AMS Annual conference in Seattle. Lastly, we have a peer review paper that's almost finished for being submitted to the Journal of Meteorology. Quite a few other research projects are slated to start in the next two years and I'm looking forward to talking with you about them.

organicforecasting.com
blog.organicforecasting.com

As a side note, I storm chase with Tom Stoltze of O'fallon weather in my spare time and when the opportunity arises.

Last edited:
I'm Jacob, and I am a weather enthusiast. I have been interested in weather ever since a wall cloud moved over my house when I was 5, and we had to take shelter. I grew up watching Storm Chasers, and eventually met Reed Timmer and the Dominator crew sometime after. I took up storm chasing and have seen now 1 tornado, as well as a few lowerings, many supercells, and a few busts as well. I am 14 and wish to become a meteorologist. I am very weather knowledgeable and would love to get in contact with younger storm enthusiasts/chasers. If you want to talk to me about weather and chasing I'm open to conversation. Hope to meet all new chasers!IMG_1001.JPG FullSizeRender (4).jpg DSCN0040.JPG IMG_1001.JPG

I'm Jacob, and I am a weather enthusiast. I have been interested in weather ever since a wall cloud moved over my house when I was 5, and we had to take shelter. I grew up watching Storm Chasers, and eventually met Reed Timmer and the Dominator crew sometime after. I took up storm chasing and have seen now 1 tornado, as well as a few lowerings, many supercells, and a few busts as well. I am 14 and wish to become a meteorologist. I am very weather knowledgeable and would love to get in contact with younger storm enthusiasts/chasers. If you want to talk to me about weather and chasing I'm open to conversation. Hope to meet all new chasers!View attachment 14437 View attachment 14438 View attachment 14439 View attachment 14437

Those are some good pictures. Better than the pictures and video I took at 14! XD

Don't go core-PUNCHing every supercell you see, ok.... especially if you're doing so based solely on your last name. :O)

Those are some good pictures. Better than the pictures and video I took at 14! XD

Don't go core-PUNCHing every supercell you see, ok.... especially if you're doing so based solely on your last name. :O)

Don't worry, we try to stay in the inflow area so we stay out of the hail core and out of the RFD because that normally ruins our view! However, on April 26, we got stuck in a hailstorm on I-35 and had to pull over under an overpass due to the extremely large (baseballs and softballs) falling from the sky. We (surprisingly) didn't lose a windshield to our best of luck. In my earlier post. That large wall cloud was in Harlan, Iowa on June 29, 2014. The other lowering was in Wichita, KS on April 26, 2016. Hasn't been many other days since. I chased May 8 and didn't see much besides a dying supercell near Medicine Lodge, KS.

Hey everyone! My name's Tui, and I'm actually an operational meteorologist across the Pacific... Seeing as I'm posting on this forum, my interest in weather clearly carries outside of just being a purely professional interest! My main interest is, wait for it... convective weather! My weather interest mainly developed out of my aviation passion (I learned to fly and got my PPL at high school). Outside of those, my other interests include photography (goes well with weather!) and music.

Storm chasing is something I've wanted to do for a wee while now, and we've got a former storm chaser at work (who was the person encouraging me to join up here). We have our own form of exciting weather here; we had a frontal passage last week and the winds peaked at a mean of around 40kts - on the higher side but not outlandish for us, but it's not quite the same as the TS's of the great plains.
I'm planning on having a try at chasing next year, so I'll be looking to find out as much as I can over the coming months. I'm used to forecasting but... this is another climate and hemisphere! So I'm gonna be reading up as much as I can (already scouring some of the journals for some of the meteorology behind supercells and the likes). Obviously part of the fun of the challenge is the actual forecasting side of things, directly seeing the consequences of my decisions. And even if I don't see a tornado (which is the ultimate goal), simply seeing TS's on the scale of the Midwest is enough! (Where I'm from, we average maybe 2 days that have lightning a year...)

My name is Mark and I live in Gulfport, Florida. I have been interested in weather since I was very young. I started taking weather pics in my late 30's and now at almost 50 I am willing to do what ever it takes to get the best pics. Recently I started chasing tornadoes and this hurricane season have chased Hermine and now Matthew. I want to deepen my knowledge of weather forcasting so that I can get even better photos and videos of any large storm in the Southeastern US. Thanks very much.

Hello everyone!

My name is Ken. I am another brand new noob here at ST (in fact, this is my first post). I live in Bradenton, FL which is located on the gulf coast about 50 miles south of Tampa. I think my interest in severe weather began when I was a child living with my family in Lawrence Kansas. I have to admit that I have several not so fond memories of hiding from Midwest tornados with my family in the hallway of our house (we didn't have a basement or a storm shelter); but what began as a childhood fear has grown into a strong passion for severe weather and how it develops. I am a SKYWARN spotter for the Tampa Bay WFO (in Ruskin) and I am an active amateur radio operator (my call is K4RSQ). I am very glad I found the ST community and can't wait to dive in and learn all I can. Other than the one meteorology class I took in college and the SKYWARN training I have completed, I haven't had any other formal meteorological training. I realize that there is a huge learning curve in front of me, however I am looking forward to "being the sponge" and soaking up all I can. Thanks for letting me a part of this community and I look forward to "meeting" (and learning) from everyone here. Stay safe.

Ken Treffinger

Hello Ken,

Welcome aboard from a fellow Floridian on the east coast...

SKYWARN ( Miami ) -

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack mobile app

Hey Ken,

New here myself and just a little north of you in Gulfport near St Pete. I love going out to Myakka and photographing Milky Way shots from there. I hope we can meet up sometime particularly when our Summer storms start firing off again. This year was a good year for them.

Take care,
Mark

That would be great, Mark. I bet going out to Myakka has given you the opportunity to get some great Milky Way shots. Please keep me in mind when the action starts again, I would love to team up and doing some chasing (and learning)! Thanks!

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack mobile app

Back