*New Users. Meet and Greet Area*

Hey everyone, my name is Jake Higgins and I currently live in the Wichita, KS area. I have had a passion for severe weather since I was about five years old when my grandmother bought me a copy of a Weather Channel documentary called 'Enemy Wind'. Since then I've watched or read anything I could get my hands on to further my knowledge of the subject and as I got older, have tried to go chasing whenever I get the time and the weather cooperates. I joined Stormtrack.org so that I can learn and discuss topics with people who are as passionate about this subject as I am and perhaps even find a chaser who can show me the ropes and further my understanding of severe weather.

I hope this post finds everyone doing well and I look forward to learning from everyone!

Hello! My name is Chris Hutchison, I reside in Northeastern Kentucky, in the Ashland/Huntington WV area. I am a Deputy Director with the Boyd County Office of Emergency Management, as which I handle basic incident planning, logistics, EOC Operations, and the "go to guy" for weather information during events and severe weather. I joined storm track to converse with and learn from fellow weather enthusiasts and chasers. I've been interested in and self-studied weather since I was young, and now working to prepare for it as a job is even better. Look forward to talking to everyone!

Hello! My name is Claire Glossa. I currently live in North Branford, Connecticut, in New Haven County. I am a Certified Phlebotomist, as well as a Nurses Aide. I plan to start working in a nearby hospital drawing blood. On the side of what I do for my career, I absolutely love the weather. I have been admiring and watching weather since I was about 10 or 11. My parents would always come to me for the latest forecast. I joined storm track to chat and learn from storm chasers and enthusiasts like myself. I plan to go storm chasing this summer in the Great Plains with a few friends. I look forward to chatting with everyone and potentially making a few friends along the way! :)

Hello everyone, my name is Cody Lere and I'm from Rapid City, SD. I'm a member of a chasing team out of Fargo, ND (who all have more forecasting experience than I, which makes a great resource). I work as both an architectural and interiors photographer for myself, as well as in microbiology at the hospital while I pursue my masters in microbiology and then hopefully PA school.

I've just recently started to get a little more in depth with forecasting and have really been enjoying learning as well as struggling. I never thought water and air would be more complicated than microorganisms but I was wrong. Hopefully I can learn a bunch from everyone here and deliver some photos worth sharing. My goal is to capture the most photogenic severe weather I can in a very remote chasing area, and providing assistance with reporting.

Hi everyone!
Looking to learn a lot. Always been fascinated with weather. Active Ham Radio Operator K8LQ, Broadcast Engineer for a group of stations. Also a Court Deputy with a local Sheriffs Office here in Michigan. The most I see in the Northern part of the state is a good Waterspout in Lake Michigan. One of these days I hope to travel into the Midwest tornado alley looking for some active weather. Till then, you folks have fun and Stay Safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack

Hello. I'm new to the forum, as well as chasing. I'm curious of what equipment I will need, and a recommended vehicle. If there is a specific forum section for these questions, please direct me to them. If not, please steer me in the right direction.

Hey all, my name is Luke and I live in Albany, NY. I work as an analyst/meteorologist for AWSTruepower. Just started last spring after graduating from SUNY Oswego with a B.S. in Meteorology. I have been chasing in Upstate NY since 2010, and even chased in the Plains for two weeks last May. Upstate NY definitely does not have the terrain or atmospheric setup that makes the Plains so perfect for chasing, but I've seen some incredible storms up here, as well as chased and observed intense Lake-Effect Snow events and waterspouts around and over Lake Ontario.

I plan on using ST a lot more now that I'm out of school for discussing current weather events and other happenings, as well as connecting with others in the weather community both locally and nationally. Here's to a safe and fun chasing season! :)

Greetings -

My name is Jay. I live near Boulder, CO. I'm a virtualization engineer for a data analytics organization. I grew up on the plains in the TX Panhandle, so naturally I've always had an interest in weather and chasing. I haven't gone in a long time due to working on a career and other life experiences, but I am in a place to get back into it. My friends and I would chase, but we didn't have much money, reliable vehicles, time, and many of the luxuries that smartphones, tablets, and cellular data network infrastructure allow for these days.

My first memorable weather experience was Fritch, TX in June of 1992. It should have scarred me for life, but that is when my fascination started. My cousin lived in Greensburg, KS and lost everything except his life. I'm just fascinated by the power nature wields. I had a job doing field work on wired/wireless/RF network infrastructure for cattle feeders that had me travelling all over NM, TX, OK, KS, and NE. I knew the day would be fun anytime I was fueling up next to a TIV or DOW. I ended up on some unplanned chase days, probably surrounded by many of you. I've thought about joining a forum like this for a long time, as I've been wanting to get more scientific and do my own forecasting. Right now, I watch the models published out on the internet, keep any eye on real time weather data, and I watch the sky. With a better understanding of the science, I hope like I can contribute to a community like this.

I'm also a musician, writing and performing extreme subgenres of metal, with some tracks about weather phenomena. I also enjoy photography, technology, and spending quality time with my wife and son. He's a 19 month old destruction machine.

I've been lurking, awaiting my profile approval, and I have to say I am impressed by the amount of expertise and professionalism on this board. I love the search function, and I have learned a lot already.

Thanks, and I hope we have an active season in 2017. In open plains...far, far, away from population centers...

Be safe.

- J

Great to be here! I'm Matt, a 50ish y.o. medically retired (MS) 911 Urban Paramedic. In my earlier career, we were the "Public Safety Warning System" in our small rural area in the Texas Panhandle. I had been a Wx geek for years before, and "Chased" with friends back in the '70s-'80s. After moving to DFW with work as a 911 Medic, I became a notable freelance photog in the Metroplex. I began coupling the passion for Photography and Weather together about 10 years ago. Since, I've chased, and predominately chase (as much as I'm capable of) in Central/North Central Texas, Southern to Central OK, the Texas Panhandle and eastern NM. Always looking to learn more from every outing, and study weather online as well as take online courses in different aspects of Severe Weather from different websites. Now I've added Livestreaming to my Chasing along with still photos. I recognize many names here from the Spotter Network Beacons, and have met many in the field as well. Hope to meet more of you soon, and looking to travel more this season. Once we get out of this ENSO Neutral Cycle, maybe we'll see a banner season!

Cheers All, and Chase Safe!!

Hello everyone, I'm James. I reside in Northeast Texas. I have been a first responder in my community for over a decade, encountering many weather related emergencies. I have always been interested in severe weather and the devastation it can cause. I encountered my first tornado as a child back in 96 or 97 in the small town of Talty TX. Growing up my father was always listening to the scanner, watching the radar and at times we'd go out spotting, though never officially or for the purposes of reporting. Over the last few years I've gained more and more interest in local spotting, more so, so I would know what to expect when the calls started coming into the fire dept. What really opened my eyes and sparked my interest in chasing as opposed to spotting was the Dec 26th 2015 EF4 that hit rowlett tx. My mother was at work in one of the many neighborhoods impacted. She was on the phone with me, hysterical while bunkered down in the bathtub with the invalid patient she takes care of. In the background I could hear the sirens and the roar of the wind and debris hitting the house. All of a sudden connection was lost and I would spend the next 45 minutes desperately trying to confirm that she was safe. Finally my phone rings, all is well where she is at, but every house on the next street over was leveled. My main interest at this point (beginner) is photography / videography, research and spotting / reporting when I can. I'm in between spotting and chasing, meaning I don't stick to my local area but I usually don't go more than 75 to 100 miles out for a chase... Not yet anyways.... 2017 is my first season to actually get out and chase a little bit. I'm very passionate about this and rapidly learning as much as possible. I'm always open to advice and suggestions. Hope everyone has a safe and exciting season!

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Stormtrack mobile app

Back