• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

*New Users. Meet and Greet Area*

Hello all! My name is Matthew Harding and I am from Wichita, KS. I have been a weather enthusiast (thats putting it mildly) since I was a small child. I am currently attending Butler Community College (getting pre-reqs done) with the ultimate goal of becoming a television meteorologist. My unbridled passion has always been for tornadoes and severe thunderstorms, but I love all other types of weather.

I have been a lurker on Stormtrack for over a year and have learned a lot from everybody on here. Now that I am a member, I am hoping to make contacts and continue learning from those who have far greater weather knowledge than I ever will. Everything I know about weather, I have learned from reading books, papers, discussions, or just by asking questions. While I am lacking in my overall storm chasing experience, I have gotten "lucky" a couple of times. With that said, I feel that if I can learn the ropes of storm chasing and gain valuable experience in the field, that it will help me become a better meteorologist later.

I am eager to learn all that I can from everybody on here and look forward to meeting you out on the road in Spring 2009.

Welcome Matthew! I am new to the forum as well, and I have already learned a ton by posting questions and reading other's posts. Good luck and hope to see you out on the road.

With that said, I feel that if I can learn the ropes of storm chasing and gain valuable experience in the field, that it will help me become a better meteorologist later.

IMO that’s one thing it seems a lot of TV meteorologist lack, in the field experience. From my viewing experiences, it seems that TV Met's that I know chase or ones that have chased with me, seem to be leaps ahead of those w/o in the field experience when it comes to Severe Weather coverage. I'm not sure if its simply because they have a better understanding of what is going on, or if they can better understand/decipher reports coming in and relay those to the viewer better. Either way, I think its SUPER beneficial for broadcast Met's esp. in the Alley to have at least some chasing experience. Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Matthew! I also like the icon. Where did you get it?

Welcome Matthew! I also like the icon. Where did you get it?

Dann and Rob, you can get those avitars from twcclassics.com, click on downloads and you can go from there. By the way, if you were ever a fan of Dave Schwartz, you can click on the "Schwartz Alert Mode" and look at some of his funniest moments.

Welcome Matthew! I'm sure you will learn a lot here. Good Luck with the Meteorology studies! Which college do you plan to attend after you finish up at Butler?

Brandon-- I noticed that on your profile that you recently completed your meteorology degree. Did you do that through MS State or thro another avenue?

Welcome to stormtrack Matthew. I am still pretty new myself but have learned a lot from people on stormtrack. Keep at it and you will fulfill your dreams of becoming a television meteorologist. Also most of my family lives in the Butler and Sedgwick county area.

Welcome Joshua I know that area really well for I was born in Emporia which is about 40 miles away. Even though I have never storm chased that much I am sure you will be pretty sucessful living in that area. My hometown has been hit by tornadoes on several occassions including a mile-wide F4 tornado on June 8, 1974. Good luck to you and be safe.

Welcome to stormtrack Matthew. Nice to see someone else that lives in Wichita, Kansas! Wichita is my hometown but i am currently going to school at OU.

Back