*New Users. Meet and Greet Area*

Welcome to the Asylum :D

I think it's way cool you're moving to the Alley to chase.

New here, saying hello

Hi all, Just wanted to say hello to the Stormtrack community and thank you all for the vast knowledge on these forums. I'm a computer / networking administrator with much knowledge of all sorts of devices/appliances, satellite to cellular. I currently work as a sysop for a construction company. I have in my past installed Directv systems, Hughesnet sat internet systems and cellular amplification setups for rural customers in Maine. I hope I can contribute and at the same time learn about weather, and the art of storm chasing. Photography is my primary interest for wanting to learn about these incredible storms you all chase. Of course, living in Maine I've seen plenty of snow, witnessed a couple hurricanes (bob in the early 90's most notably) but thunderstorms are few and far between never mind a tornado. My goal in life is to witness a supercell spawn a tornado. I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and am now taking the steps towards my goal. I will be the first to admit, I have alot to learn.

My interest sparked on this a while back, but a recent event in my home town of Sanford Maine a couple years ago really did it for me. On Route 202 in my town, under mostly clear skys and event happened in which a roof was torn off of an auto body shop, it was my friends fathers shop. As he explains it he was outside getting parts off of a doner car in the scrap yard, when he noticed the cars all shifting around so he scrambled to get inside, noticing the trees violently rocking and twisting, once in the shop the roof was torn off, unfortunately a support beam of the metal structure, no long holding the weight of the roof fell on my friends father and he died from the injury. When this event happened, no wind gusts or anything were recorded or felt by anyone else in the town including myself whom was at a friends house at the time no more then 1 mile away from the Auto Shop in question, it was a very localized event. It was a tragedy for our town since nothing like this happens but the fact no one still knows what happened bothers me. My interest in wind related events and damage really stems from this, and this is my drive the learn and educate myself and hopefully others in the future.

Welcome Stephen, thats a spooky story you have there and Im sorry for the loss.

I dont want to pretend like I know what happened....maybe a date would help? If it was a hot summer day...maybe some sort of heat related vortex was generated [similar to a dust devil] and given the weak structure you described in the roof, was enough to do damage. If your close to the ocean maybe an interaction between an inbound ocean breeze and the mean wind could have caused something as well. There are many possibilities.

Anyways, welcome aboard.

Newbie, and a silly question...

Hey all, I just wanted to introduce myself...I'm James Gilbert, I'm from West Virginia (the BEST area for chasing storms!:p) and I'm new here. I'm a substitute teacher, work in the only grocery store in town, as well as being a "newly wed", so my free time is anything but free. I enjoy all I do, but from the time I was a little kid, I've been interested in storms. It's only within the last 5 years or so that my interest in the meteorology part of the storms have really taken hold, so I'm still a newcomer at this addicting pasttime called Storm Chasing. I've chased a couple garden-variety storms here in the beautiful Mountain State, but nothing to write home about. I've browsed the threads for a while, and now seem to have plucked up the courage to ask a question that is probably pretty silly to all here (though the forum said there were "No Dumb Questions." I guess I'm putting that to the test!)
Anyway, my question is aimed at one of the basics of forecasting...plotting contour lines on a METAR chart/hand analysis. Looking at the Surface/Dew Point temps and such, I see MANY temps that are close but I have no idea on where or how to plot the contour lines on the chart. I've read several online tutorials, as well as owning three of Tim's great books (Storm Chasing/Forecasting Handbook/WX Map book), but I just can't seem to pick it up. I don't know if I'm just looking at it wrong, or what, but any assistance you all could help me with would be great. I'm one that will look and look and not see it, but once prodded in the right direction, will pick it right up. I'm a fast learner, and hope you all can help me out a little bit.
Thank You!!

Here's the only story I found on it. Although it says my buddy hid under a car.. it was on 5/19/2003

http://www.biblenews1.com/history3/20030520.htm (only news i can find on it, this site is a religious site, sorry in advance for the content. Unfortunately this type of explanation is good enough for the people in my area.)

May 19 (Day 139, Sin Unto Death): A lone whirlwind on a clear day hunted down the owner of a garage in Lebanon, Maine and killed him. The owner, Danny Lehoux, 51, was left dead in a pile of rubble when the building collapsed on him like a house of cards. The only other employee, Ron Prive, who was outside saw the dust devil, approaching Vintage Auto Body and Sales on US Highway 202 about 1:20 PM EDT (1720 GMT). Prive yelled at Lehoux and then took cover under a car. At the time of his death, Lehoux was in mourning for his own son, Jodie, 34, who died unexpectedly last week in Kansas. The cause of death had not yet been determined. Lehoux lived with his wife, Gale, adjacent to the body shop.

They say it was a dust devil or whirlwind. This area is heavily wooded, my friend says he just saw debris flying around. Unfortunately the article above isn't a reputable source, just a local religious website where they try and blame it on god and Palestine, as seen in the final words on that webpage.

Here's the SPC data for that particular day
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/030519_rpts.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about isotherms (temps) or Isobars (pressure)?

Me I use a SLP LAWC (Local Area Weather Chart) here is one for your area

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/sfc_bwi.gif

If you are trying to plot pressure connect the dots every (at least) 4mbs (millibars) I like to use even numbers.
So if you show 241 that is 1024.1mbs find the next 1024 and draw a line to it. If you don't see another 1024 you can draw the line between values that would have 1024 between them. For instance if you have a 226 and a 258 you can draw a 240 line between these values. Also when you are connecting the dots be sure to TRY and stay with the wind flow (unless there are mountains in the area)
It will take some time but after a while you will get the hang of it. When I plot a LAWC I run every 2mbs (unless the pressure gradient is very tight)

As for temps it is the same...just connect the dots...plot every 5ºF and you should see the range of temps come together.
Same with DewPoints (isodrosotherms)

I may fire up my adobe captivate and throw together a tute on this.

If you have any other questions please let me know. I will try to help in any way that I can. Plottoing LAWCs (Surface Charts) is a LOST art, so glad to see an interest in this.

Welcome Stephen. Can I crash on your floor if I'm ever chasin' up in Maine? ;)

Welcome aboard, Stephen. We're glad to have you :)

Lebanon, Maine, eh? That's Stephen King's territory there... and that excerpt from that religious website reads like something ripped right out of one his stories... very strange, indeed. ;)

That makes total sense! Thanks Aaron! I saw those numbers, and I wondered if that was what they were there for, but I was hesitant to "jump in" and do it and get used to doing it wrong. You really cleared that up, and I'm gonna go practice on some charts, local and random. Thanks again!

Yeah I know, pretty corny up here :)

and if anyone is chasing storms up here in Maine, my floor is open to all :p I'm sure it would be pretty fun if snow is your thing. ;)

The day a twister comes tearing through the mountains up here I'll make sure I got the HD cam and D80 ready to go hehe :)

and thank you all for the warm welcoming, this site is very mature and a great knowledgebase. I can't wait for the spring! I'm considering a tornado tour vs going out on my own first. Preferably a tour were I could learn a great deal from the guides. Any suggestions?

That makes total sense! Thanks Aaron! I saw those numbers, and I wondered if that was what they were there for, but I was hesitant to "jump in" and do it and get used to doing it wrong. You really cleared that up, and I'm gonna go practice on some charts, local and random. Thanks again!

Your welcome :D I am glad that I could help. If you have any other questions please post away ;)

Welcome to the site. There are many storm chasing tours out there, you just need to find one that is in your budget and go :D

I will say this, if you can get to Denver in Feb I would HIGHLY recommend that you attend the National Storm Chasers Convention. You will learn alot and get to know a great family of storm chasers and other weather professionals.
I will not be there (I will be in a USAF school) but I greatly enjoyed it when I did attend.

Well, I tried some yesterday, and while my lines aren't as "smooth" as I'd like them, and I made several errors along the way, it at least makes sense and with more practice, I'll become more fluent with it. Thanks for the welcome guys, and I look forward to using this winter as an opportunity to increase my WX knowlege 10-fold.

Welcome to the site. There are many storm chasing tours out there, you just need to find one that is in your budget and go :D

I will say this, if you can get to Denver in Feb I would HIGHLY recommend that you attend the National Storm Chasers Convention. You will learn alot and get to know a great family of storm chasers and other weather professionals.
I will not be there (I will be in a USAF school) but I greatly enjoyed it when I did attend.

Thanks for the info Aaron. Sounds like a good time and great opportunity to meet the family. I will definitely try and make this trip.

Also new here, saying hello

Hi! I am so very happy to finally be a part if this community in which I feel I have come to know many of you from reading this site for a couple of years or so. I want to thank all the members from whom I have learned a great deal, and the sites that have been posted to further my informal meteorological education.
I live in Texas, just inside Johnson County - we have 10 acres out here, and a large field across the street facing southwest. Last year I saw my first 'nado, (got a bad photo with my cell) but could not call it in (bad cell area) - it was called in later as torwarned, as it headed to Crowley. In total, we had three by our home last year - the last one tracked the county lines. This one was rated a F3 and was 3 miles from our home. Weather is a passion of mine, and I could (and do) spend hours tracking systems that head our way. I have my basic spotter certification, and will get the advanced this spring.
And yes, if there are any chasers out this way, you are welcome to crash in our tiny moblie home, if you can handle animals lol. Or, there is room in the little barn. We should have an underground shelter by next spring, and that would also be a good 'spare sleeping quarters'. :)

Thank you again for allowing me to join. I hope to contribute to this community to the best of my armchair ability!

Also New

This is very exciting for me. I have been a severe weather freak since I was a kid. I don't often chase storms but we frequently get some big ones roll past where I live in Woodstock Ga. This spring was a busy one for us.

We don't expect much from tonight but it is so mild outside and there is supposed to be quite a bit of energy with this system coming through tonight I expect we may see some lightning and hear a little thunder.

I have a very basic question, and hope to get some real honest answers, I have watched Storm chasers chase huge tornadoes in the plains, and have seen there vehicles get beat up by hail, windows smashed and so on. But my real question is these chasers are all using a laptop for internet weather images, do all laptops come prepared to hook up to a cigarette lighter or what?. Last question since their windows are getting pounded, I never hear of how long it took to replace the windows. Oh yes since they travel so many miles how do they do it?, with the cost of fuel?.
I am thinking about chasing in the west Georgia area, and I would like some real advice as to what kind of equipment I need to invest in to take, I have the digital camera, plus 1 pro-video camera, that has really seen it's days.
Can you answer any of my questions? And thanks for the info.

But my real question is these chasers are all using a laptop for internet weather images, do all laptops come prepared to hook up to a cigarette lighter or what?

We use inverters, allows us to power not only our laptops, but our cameras, phones, coolers, TV's whatever you want to plug in....

Oh yes since they travel so many miles how do they do it?, with the cost of fuel?

Thats no different than asking how someone pays to go on a vaction, every person saves money a different way, some have enough money they don't have to worry about it, others I am guessing have huge credit card debit, I personally just try to save throughout the year, when your passionate enough about something it seems the money is always there.

Back