*New Users. Meet and Greet Area*

I know, i joined last month but i was wondering.... how did i not find this sooner? XD

This site is VAST. It's a great resource and the people on here are amazingly helpful. It took me a month to figure out how to upload my media... lol. I'm sure there's a lot more I still have to find on here. Happy sifting... I bet you find some awesome stuff. :)

Well since I've never introduced myself, I might as well now.

My name is Evan Coverdill, and I also go by Patches as a nickname. My interest in weather started when I was about five years old by watching storms, and by watching meteorologist Randy Ollis on WISH-TV in Indy. My interest for severe weather, mostly tornadoes, didn't start until I was in third grade. Our teacher showed us a video on the Tri-State Tornado, and thats when I started to develop a huge interest of anything severe weather related. Since I've been storm chasing for about 2 years, I've only seen one tornado. That was in Lebanon, Indiana on November 17, 2013 on a high risk day. I usually chase with two other people who both have role. Scott Garber, who has been my best friend for about 3 years, is working to become a commercial pilot. He is my navigational aid and keeps his eyes on the radar while im driving. Austin Creek, who is also a very good friend of mine, is in graphic design. Creek is my Videographer.

This is our page: https://www.facebook.com/IndianaStormChaseSquad
We would appreciate any support.

Hi All,

My name is Zac and I am hobby chaser at the moment, when work allows me, I like to observe weather and watch storms in my area.

I joined the site as a means to learn and gain knowledge and to also network with chasers, forecasters and the like. I ordered a few products from Weather Graphics –

1. Weather Analysis & Forecasting Handbook, first edition

2. Weather Map Handbook

3. Severe Storm Forecasting – Blue Book

4. Forecasting Handbook – Red Book

I also purchased the Forecast Lab 2015.

Right now I am trying to decide which school I am going to go to. I have been checking and looking to either do a fall of this year start or a Jan. 16 start. I want to do a much needed change of career and go to where my passion is. I would ideally like to get into the severe storm research and be a full time researcher and scientist.

I am currently live in the Illinois side of the St. Louis area, while we have a few serve storms move through our area once in a great while but I live in a central area, where after just a short drive, I can get some amazing views when a decent storm comes through the area.

I have limited experience and fully admit to being a novice but with Weather Graphics books, groups on Facebook and just looking through and learning from the endless experience base on this site as well as a few other sites will not only fuel my passion, but also serve as well as to get a mini jump start. My logic with the forecast lab was get my feet wet at looking at the associated maps and charts as I learn through the books.

I hope I am on the right track but as always with me, recommendations, advice or direction is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Zac.

hey everyone I'm Ashley I have been a member on here for a year but haven't been on here in a long time. I was wondering if there is anybody located in central Texas or north Texas? I would love to ride along on a chase and finally get to experience my first tornado. I have been into weather and storms since I was a little girl my dream is to become a meteorologist/storm chaser one day. I would love the experience of going on a chase with someone near by!!

Hello everyone! My name is Brandon Molyneaux. I am a student at Millersville University studying meteorology. I have always had a burning passion for severe weather ever since a tornado ripped through my neighborhood in Ohio when I was around 3 years old. I only recently got into chasing, forming a small group with my friends who are also all meteorology majors. As of right now, we are only doing local chases, but we plan on going out to the midwest sometime next summer and chase for a week or so on our own budget. My ultimate goal is to work at the SPC as a forecaster, or to do research with severe weather.

This actually reminded me of the day Jarrell was hit by the F5 Tornado in 1997. I was 17, sitting at home watching "Twister" on VHS. Once the movie was over, I hit rewind, turned the tv back to a news station to see what the weather would be like for the day. Of course thunderstorms were initiating and heading south. Then as the supercell hit Jarrell, the tornado started, and progressed into an F5. I was naive and thought, "I cursed Jarrell because I watched Twister!" Of course, I have since realized how silly that sounds. Thought I'd share because your story in your intro reminded me of it.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Hey guys! Hans Mast here, from the Hutchinson, KS area (Nickerson to be precise). I'm a photographer first and foremost. I travel a lot doing landscape and architecture photography. I've shot two thunderstorms before July 13, 2015; I wanted to get into stormchasing. Then a gorgeous LP supercell sprouted a tornado and I got a pretty good shot of it. Since then, I've diving into storm chasing as much as my free time allows. I hope to learn more here, though I know it's unlikely that my incredible good luck will repeat itself and that future shots will require actual hard work. The below shot is from the end of my lane.

DSC02460_1_2-MPIP-2048px.jpg

For those photographers out there, here are the details:
Sony a7r with 16-35mm FE lens
24mm, f4, ISO 100
Three exposures: 1/100th, 1/400th, 1/1600th
Combined in Photomatix using HDR + Exposure Fusion
Used Macphun Intensify's Enhance Landscape filter at ~30% and then selectively and partially blended
Desaturated clouds to match original colors

Hey guys! Hans Mast here, from the Hutchinson, KS area (Nickerson to be precise). I'm a photographer first and foremost. I travel a lot doing landscape and architecture photography. I've shot two thunderstorms before July 13, 2015; I wanted to get into stormchasing. Then a gorgeous LP supercell sprouted a tornado and I got a pretty good shot of it. Since then, I've diving into storm chasing as much as my free time allows. I hope to learn more here, though I know it's unlikely that my incredible good luck will repeat itself and that future shots will require actual hard work. The below shot is from the end of my lane.

View attachment 9274

For those photographers out there, here are the details:
Sony a7r with 16-35mm FE lens
24mm, f4, ISO 100
Three exposures: 1/100th, 1/400th, 1/1600th
Combined in Photomatix using HDR + Exposure Fusion
Used Macphun Intensify's Enhance Landscape filter at ~30% and then selectively and partially blended
Desaturated clouds to match original colors
Welcome, Hans! Glad you were able to get your account setup. What a phenomenal picture!

Hey guys! I'm Dave.
I'm new to this forum but not new to storm chasing. I'm a SKYWARN spotter and Amateur radio operator, I live in Connecticut and I chase thunderstorms to get cloud to ground lightning strikes on camera. In the winter I work as a first responder and reporter, helping motorists, responding to MVAs, clearing debris and providing public safety agencies with live info to help them prioritize plowing and all of that stuff. I have many hobbies and storm chasing is one of my new main hobbies (an expensive one too!) I currently am self employed and own a disaster preparedness and response business. I also make some income as a freelance reporter, covering disasters, emergencies and weather events.

I look forward to networking with fellow chasers as well as learning as much as I can. If you are interested in seeing some of the footage I've gotten, check out my YouTube channel or my website NEStormSeeker.webs.com

Thanks!
Dave

Hey folks, My name is Wes. I am a 30 year old construction worker in the asphalt paving trade. I am also a part time Realtor. I am a volunteer spotter in the NWS Chicago warning area. I live on a farm in Sycamore, IL located in DeKalb County, home of Fairdale, where that monster EF-4 hit back on April 9th of this year. Ever since the Plainfield, IL F-5 on August 28th of 1990 I have been enamored with the weather, particularly severe weather.

I am not what I would call a "storm chaser" but I'd like to be able to call myself that. This spring I decided to get more involved and meet some people who share my interest. I spend a lot of my time during severe weather examining the radar and running outside to take pictures of the storms as they roll in. I have a nice wide open view to the West, So I have collected some pretty nice shots. Despite the Rochelle-Fairdale EF-4 coming just miles from my house, I did not chase.

I guess I can call myself a storm victim? because...I have never actually seen a tornado, though I have seen plenty of other extreme severe weather here in Northern Illinois including funnels and one heck of a microburst that actually caused me some minor injury and serious bleeding as it blew the windows out of my buddy's house and hurled trees across his house. I was hit with broken glass on my face, arms, and chest. I did not know I was bleeding as my whole body felt numb, and I think I entered what could be called a mild state of shock. Anyway, about 15 minutes into it all we noticed blood all over the living room and kitchen, all over the floor, and on the furniture. I had been pacing nervously and did not notice I was steadily dripping blood from one of my arms and hands all over the place. This occurred during a round of severe storms that raked Northern Illinois on June 27th (I THINK) of 2012. There was extensive damage across Glen Ellyn, IL and a few other areas in the Chicago Burbs.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and I hope I can participate in some meaningful way to this community. Thanks!

Back