Monster Snowstorm? 12/23

Just checked the lightning data... Central IN has had a few strikes in the past half hour, and the WV loop really exploded with moisture over that region... It looks like a heavy convective snow band is trying to organize. Various models indicate very weak symmetric stability, and possibly convectively unstable (theta surfaces folding in on the cross sections), also a nice TROWAL setting up between 600-500mb across IN/MI. All of this is put into reality with the help of some strong frontogenesis and omega through that layer as well...

Over all, looks like Ohio won this one!

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH
225 AM EST THU DEC 23 2004

...RECORD SNOWFALL SET AT DAYTON OHIO...

AS OF 2 AM EST A NEW SINGLE STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL AND 24 HOUR TOTAL
SNOWFALL HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED AT THE DAYTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.

A TOTAL OF 13.6 INCHES OF SNOW HAS FALLEN SINCE 542 AM ON THE 22ND
OF DECEMBER. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD STORM TOTAL OF 12.9 INCHES
WHICH OCCURRED ON JANUARY 26TH-27TH, 1978 AND THE 24 HOUR TOTAL OF
12.2 INCHES ALSO ON JANUARY 26TH, 1978.

ADDITIONAL SNOW WILL FALL THROUGH THE MORNING. A NEW RECORD EVENT
REPORT WILL BE SENT WHEN THIS STORM HAS ENDED.

Looks like Dayton has passed up the Blizzard of January 27-28, 1978 snowfall amount...

This system has produced a TON of snow, with a wide area receiving over 16 inches... While these amounts likely match, or possibly exceed the Blizzard of '78, the winds have certainly been kept to a minimum (Blizzard of '78 had gusts of 100mph combined with the snow)...

.....(Blizzard of '78 had gusts of 100mph combined with the snow)...

Man, now that would be crazy!!

Update from NW IL. I can see the moon barely through the high overcast. The ground is bare, but frozen. It's so weird that it's very cold out and yet no snow on the ground.

Well we've only got about 4" of snow total from the storm. On top of that theres about 1/4-1/2 an inch of ice so far. The trees look pretty cool hanging down but I'd rather have two feet of snow like SW/C Ohio are getting. :x

Well, it's almost the end of the line for the snow here, and we I got about 9 inches on the ground...

My original forecast had the heaviest snow centered on northwest OH and southeastern lower MI, as well as parts of IN... It looks like the amounts I predicted pretty much verified, but I was too far northwest by about 50 miles (but then again, that could have been incluenced by wishcasting, LOL)...

What was cool about that 26 Jan 78 snowstorm was the "slingshot" of arctic air that cut through IL/IN/OH. These areas were already in the cold sector, and as the low deepened in the Appalachians, a fresh arctic air mass in Iowa accelerated eastward. Around midnight in Indianapolis, Cleveland, etc, it went from light winds and 35-40F to 10F with a 40-50 mph wind raging out of the west. Just one hour later. The suddenness of it was what was so amazing.

By the map time above (12Z) it was already banked up against the Appalachians and not so well-defined. But boy, those 06Z maps are impressive. The squirrely temperature regime along the MI/OH border and the IL/WI border gives some idea though of how strong and localized the arctic blast was.

Tim

Central Arkansas received a decent amount of snow from the system (12/22). My elevated location in Little Rock picked up about 4 inches of snow. The wind was awful with gusts to 30-40mph, which created areas of large snow drifts. Currently travel is very hazardous to near impossible in the hilly terrain of West Little Rock. Thought I would share an image of the pretty sights. Take care and Merry Christmas!

Scott Blair
http://www.targetarea.net

e44f1de2e6947eb0e93440d729ec3f5b.jpg

I'm going to archive all of the data for this event -- NEXRAD, satellite, lightning data, surface/upper air obs, and model output from the big 3 (RUC, ETA, GFS). It will be interesting to review the data, especially now that it is known where the heaviest snowband setup, and see what meteorological features really played a role (TROWAL, frontogenesis, slantwise convection).

We got about a foot or so here in Greenwood, with snow emergencys declared over most central indiana counties this morning. The drifting made things a lot worse. It was lots of fun digging out.
528a2c263001a17476e0dd71065c3325.jpg

Snow is everywhere. Lots of snow here; a good standard all over the yard is about a foot, with 2 and 3 foot drifts varying in size. Very nice.

I had to chip off ice and snow from the bottom of my pants, and see if I can get the frozen things off. Imagine soaking about a foot of the bottom of your pants, then putting them in the freezer; with snow packed between the jeans and boots. Fun.

Here is the status of the storm at around 11pm yesterday evening from our SelectWarn® display. The snow depths are from National Weather Service Local Storm Reports (LSR's) and the red data are selected remarks from those LSR's. Note the dot denoting a cloud to ground lightning bolt northwest of the report of thundersnow to the north.

The 24 inches displayed on this image was at the town of Scottsburg, IN which ended up with 29 inches!

8afc9b9fb9665288db7a11f8bd291c09.gif

Merry Christmas!!
Mike

Back