SNOW 11/30/08-12/1/08: GREAT LAKES, NORTHEAST

My pics from the south end of Lansing aren't all that great, but I thought I'd at least snap a couple. So far I've measured 1.6" and I'm due out for a measurement in about 30 minutes, but it doesn't look like more than maybe 1/4" more.

As I stated before, warmer temperatures throughout the day today has severely limited any snow fall near the lake and in the metro. It has been a few hours of light drizzle with some sleet mixed in. While I hear the western suburbs and further to the west and southwest has gotten an inch or two.

Maybe 3 inches here tonight? I wouldn't expect more than that given my proximity to the lake.

Hi guys! This is my very first post. I have been reading stormtrack for quite some time. I thought I would throw out a few pics. We have exactly 2 inchs at my location. Here are some pics before it got dark.
snowtrees.jpg

pinetrees.jpg

"My pics from the south end of Lansing aren't all that great, but I thought I'd at least snap a couple. So far I've measured 1.6" and I'm due out for a measurement in about 30 minutes, but it doesn't look like more than maybe 1/4" more."

3" over here on the East Side..and heavy snow has redeveloped as the negative tilt to the system has indeed moved precip out of Ohio back to the NNW and kept the dry slot at bay for now in SW Michigan.

I just measured another 0.8" to bring the storm total up to 2.4". Looks like some of that heavier stuff to my east is going to miss me.

Heavier snow has moved in again. Kind of interesting how it's wrapping all the way back from Michigan. Picked up another inch or so over the last couple of hours. I guess that brings the total to about 3", but only 2" on the ground due to melting earlier in the day.

Officially 5"+ at the MKX office so far. I live roughly 20 miles from MKX (Whitewater, WI) and have received just under 6". Many lakeshore areas have been receiving rain due to the warm lake waters. As of 10 pm Milwaukee had received zero snow and all rain.

113008_st01.jpg

113008_st02.jpg

I went to bed at 11:30-12 last night to a light drizzle, and woke up this morning to an inch and a half of wet snow. I guess it is better than the four they predicted, so by all means I am not complaining. Little if anything will be left of it by Thursday as rain will move in on Wednesday along with mid 30's before more snow moves in over the weekend.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ended up with 3-6" around Lansing, 1-3" Jackson, and a band of around 6" north of I-96.

Other forecasts quickly revised downwards last night as the dry slot made its point.

BTW - TAMDAR version of RUC _nailed_ the dry slot's impact.

Ended up with 3-6" around Lansing, 1-3" Jackson, and a band of around 6" north of I-96.

Other forecasts quickly revised downwards last night as the dry slot made its point.

BTW - TAMDAR version of RUC _nailed_ the dry slot's impact.

Rob, do you have an online link to that RUC version for future reference?
Thanks.

FYI..ended up with 6" 4 ENE Haslett.

I ended up with 3.3" total, although it's been snowing all day, but it is warm enough where it's melted on my snowboard so I haven't been able to measure anything.

It looks pretty beautiful here today. Here's a couple pictures from this afternoon.

(I would have gotten more pictures of something nicer, but I am not feeling very well and haven't wanted to leave the house if I can avoid it.)

Most of the snow in West Central Illinois melted as temps in the afternoon hovered right above freezing for most of the event. Did see a cool down overnight last night to allow 2.5-3.5 inches of total snow to cover the ground...I was hoping this next system would dump another healthy 2-4" but looks like maybe just a 1-2" event again.

Ended up with a bit under 4" officially at the QC airport just west of me. I would say we had maybe a bit over 3" here, but never had more than 2" on the ground due to melting, and then more accumulations, etc. Makes it very hard to measure how much actually came down. In all honesty since the snow never breached the 2" depth I would call it that and not account for the annoying melting/accumulation battle. I know officially snow is measured as it comes down and is added up for the final total, but to most people all that matters is what's on the ground.

Back