Hurricane Matthew Official Thread

Understood Steve...

Awaiting Hurricane Matthew's arrival...

Locked down all set and ready to go...

For anyone who is interested and located outside of our general area...

http://www.local10.com

Live Storm Feed coverage will be posted...

I won't post any pics while running live...

TWC crews are here in town doing interviews...

Full Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach County coverage on Hurricane Matthews arrival...

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the time available, and I felt a little bit of an impulse to head out and chase this one, but decided against it. Not an ideal storm to chase IMO. If the NHC track holds true, you'd get the western eyewall (and a shot at an inside-the-eye experience if a slight westerly shift happens), but either way, the stronger side of the storm will remain offshore. A shift of the track to the west will take the storm farther inland, in which case it could weaken substantially. An eastern track shift could easily take it too far offshore to get the eyewall. As strong of a storm Matthew is likely to be, I'd prefer a more right-angle approach to ensure a landfall at peak intensity and a better chance of adjusting my intercept location successfully.

@Ryan Toemmes, what's the feeling you get about residents actually taking action and evacuating? I am assuming you're still in Florida, right? General sense of the situation?

I'm still here Steve...

People here are nervous and watching in anticipation for the arrival of Matthew...

I'm staying on site at my company warehouse in Fort Lauderdale Florida...

Residents north of Deerfield Beach Florida up thru Daytona Beach Florida have been urged / told to evacuate on the east side of the intercoastal waterway - Barrier Islands -

All draw bridges on lock down as of 12:00 AM late last night to allow full evacuations this morning...

Evacuations aren't mandatory but authorities are telling all Oceanside residences to leave Palm Beach County on up the coast line...

Authorities have made it clear on all broadcasts that when winds exceed 40 MPH absolutely no Emergency personal will assist or respond to EMS calls....

We will head north on interstate 95 after the storm makes land-fall...

Hurricane Matthew is expected to expand and increase intensity a little more as its passes thru the Gulf-Stream Waters of the Atlantic Ocean NW of Andros Island Bahamas...

11:00 AM update...

FDLE / Governor's Office

6:00 PM curfew in effect now for the entire east coast region under Hurricane Warning...

The NE eye wall has increased in intensity... Pressure is dropping according to Hurricane Hunter Aircraft now at flight level inside the eye of Matthew...

The Local Doppler radar in Miami shows the eye wall approaching Western Bahamas Andros Island north tip...

Check on Doppler Radar status every few hours and watch the progress of Hurricane Matthew make land fall on Florida's East Coast...

Max Tracker Doppler Radar on Goggle Earth...

Download the APP and watch Matthew on HD...

Wind gusts of 45 miles per hour now felt in my area...

Hurricane Matthew Now Cat 4 Storm once again plowing thru the Western Bahamas...

The strong-side eyewall passed basically right over the MYNN airport. The METAR gusted to 74kt and then stopped reporting, so the max wind was probably not sampled.

It's highly possible Hurricane Matthew could once again increase to Category 5 strength by 8:00 PM tonight once the storm passes over the Gulf Stream Waters of Floridas east coast...

There is a saying here in South Florida...

The Gulf Stream Waters hold another level in category of strength to these storms...

Stay Tuned...

Current Stats...

940 MB pressure ¥ Dropping fast...

http://www.earthcam.com

The eyewall has now been showing lightning strikes for the last hour or so. This joins Rita and Katrina from last decade as the only ones I remember seeing this behavior in.

I just heard from BIL in Savannah. They were going to stay put, but a mandatory evacuation was just called. They live in the city proper, not on one of the islands.

Just received Tornado Warning [emoji615]️

Feeder Bands now impacting the coastline of Palm Beach County, Broward County and Miami Dade County...

Weather Radar indicating rotation...

One of our guys here at WDT put some layers on a map... Power plants with hurricane Matthew track. Feel free to lift and use.
PowerPlantsAndMatthew-20161006-1620Z.JPG

The loop on the future tracking of this storm has many people talking down here...

Many future forecast models indicate this motion to occur in the next 48 hours...

Hurricane Jean in 2004 was the only known storm that actually looped around and hit the Florida coast line twice...

Second heavy rain band from Hurricane Matthew approaching the Florida coastline... Winds here still gusting 30 - 45 knots at times...

Power outages already being reported from the gusty winds...

Storm center appears to be jogging a little more northward from us...

75 - 85 knot Lower end Hurricane force winds expected near 8:00 PM / EDT near our location...

FPL - Florida Power Light -

Reporting 12,000 + customers with power outages in clusters...

This usually happens in our area with-in neighborhoods with above ground power lines that come in contact with trees...

Listening to scanner feed traffic from the Broward Sheriff's Office with Broward Emergency Management...

Winds Gusty now over 50 MPH in short bursts with passing feeder bands...

The eye wall of Hurricane Matthew is directly east of us by 92 Nautical Miles...

Fort Lauderdale is 26.2 latitude. Hurricane Matthew at 4:00PM was 26.00 lat

FPL reports 20,000 + residents with-out power in the tri-county area as of 4:00 PM EDT

Freeport Bahamas will be under the gun of Hurricane Matthews NE powerful eye wall by 6:00 PM / EDT

Weather station on site at Freeport Cruise Port...

Matthew continuing to move NW at 12 MPH pummeling Grand Bahamas - Freeport Island...

The storm may turn further north and skip mainland Florida entirely and skim the coastline..

Center of storm exactly 90 miles due east of West Palm Beach Florida...

Wind gusts in my area about 60 MPH and holding... I don't expect Hurricane force winds around here... The cone of destruction pushed further up north...

*** We dodged a bullet here in this Region ***. [emoji29]

Update as of 8:00 PM EDT...

Hurricane Warning Suspended for our area...

Tropical Storm Warning posted for our area...

Driving around town viewing storm conditions... Winds still gusting up around 60 MPH with on-shore flow feeder bands...

I see several trees down along with power lines in the road... Roads have been blocked off by local officials where lines are down...

Some People out and about looking around but nothing to write home about...

FPL reports 26,000 people / customers with out power on the Tri county area...

Hurricane Matthew appears to be exiting NW off Grand Bahamas Island on radar heading into the Gulf Stream Waters of the Atlantic..

The Storm Center is located exactly 78 miles east of Jupiter Florida...

Tropical Storm Warning expired for our area at 6:00 AM / EDT

All travel restrictions lifted...

All Airports and Ports of Entry Open for operations...

We stayed local to our area all night last night and choose not to chase Hurricane Matthew up north do to its current course of running parallel to Floridas East Coast...

As predicted by a few people Hurricane Matthew hasn't made land fall on Florida's Eastern Shoreline...

FPL reports have up to 30,000 Customers with-out power with-in the Tri-County area...

Damage assessment from our area is minimal... The Power grid and tree damage from Tropical Storm force winds from the last 12 hours is small...

Will wait and see if Hurricane Matthew makes the loop around and aim's for Florida's east coast once again earlier next week...

Seeking damage assessments from the Bahamas in the coming days...

Nassau / Andros Island / Chub Cay / Grand Bahamas - Freeport all took direct hits from Hurricane Matthews inner / outer eye wall NE quadrant... Stay tuned for those damage reports as they roll in thru different channels...

Will be waiting... [emoji305][emoji100][emoji945][emoji298]️️[emoji947][emoji98]

The Hurricane Hunters...

NOAA Research P3 Orion Aircraft punching the Eye Wall of Hurricane Matthew...

Sent from my iPad using Stormtrack mobile app

The Western edge Eye Wall of Hurricane Matthew impacts Daytona Beach Florida...

Live feed cam on Weather Nation posted on Daytona Beach with winds reaching between 90 - 110 MPH

http://www.weathernationtv.com/video/

Matthew continues its northward push in the Atlantic Ocean towards the Georgia / South Carolina coastline as at CAT 3 storm...

NOAA Hurricane Hunter Aircraft off the coast of Florida documenting data and updating Hurricane Matthew stats for NHC

Back