Hurricane Matthew Official Thread

Matthew continuing to move NW at 12 MPH pummeling Grand Bahamas - Freeport Island...

The storm may turn further north and skip mainland Florida entirely and skim the coastline..

Center of storm exactly 90 miles due east of West Palm Beach Florida...

Wind gusts in my area about 60 MPH and holding... I don't expect Hurricane force winds around here... The cone of destruction pushed further up north...

*** We dodged a bullet here in this Region ***. [emoji29]

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Update as of 8:00 PM EDT...

Hurricane Warning Suspended for our area...

Tropical Storm Warning posted for our area...

Driving around town viewing storm conditions... Winds still gusting up around 60 MPH with on-shore flow feeder bands...

I see several trees down along with power lines in the road... Roads have been blocked off by local officials where lines are down...

Some People out and about looking around but nothing to write home about...

FPL reports 26,000 people / customers with out power on the Tri county area...

Hurricane Matthew appears to be exiting NW off Grand Bahamas Island on radar heading into the Gulf Stream Waters of the Atlantic..

The Storm Center is located exactly 78 miles east of Jupiter Florida...

Tropical Storm Warning expired for our area at 6:00 AM / EDT

All travel restrictions lifted...

All Airports and Ports of Entry Open for operations...

We stayed local to our area all night last night and choose not to chase Hurricane Matthew up north do to its current course of running parallel to Floridas East Coast...

As predicted by a few people Hurricane Matthew hasn't made land fall on Florida's Eastern Shoreline...

FPL reports have up to 30,000 Customers with-out power with-in the Tri-County area...

Damage assessment from our area is minimal... The Power grid and tree damage from Tropical Storm force winds from the last 12 hours is small...

Will wait and see if Hurricane Matthew makes the loop around and aim's for Florida's east coast once again earlier next week...

Seeking damage assessments from the Bahamas in the coming days...

Nassau / Andros Island / Chub Cay / Grand Bahamas - Freeport all took direct hits from Hurricane Matthews inner / outer eye wall NE quadrant... Stay tuned for those damage reports as they roll in thru different channels...

Will be waiting... [emoji305][emoji100][emoji945][emoji298]️️[emoji947][emoji98]

The Hurricane Hunters...

NOAA Research P3 Orion Aircraft punching the Eye Wall of Hurricane Matthew...

Sent from my iPad using Stormtrack mobile app

The Western edge Eye Wall of Hurricane Matthew impacts Daytona Beach Florida...

Live feed cam on Weather Nation posted on Daytona Beach with winds reaching between 90 - 110 MPH

http://www.weathernationtv.com/video/

Matthew continues its northward push in the Atlantic Ocean towards the Georgia / South Carolina coastline as at CAT 3 storm...

NOAA Hurricane Hunter Aircraft off the coast of Florida documenting data and updating Hurricane Matthew stats for NHC

Victims of Hurricane Matthew mount up in the Caribbean...

The humanitarian crisis in Haiti continues to grow as reports keep coming in with death toll amounts exceeding 1000 +

Areas of the island nation on the Western tip are still cut off from the mainland as storm damage assessment teams scout Hurricane Matthews ground zero landfall zone...

Hundreds of survivors continue to show up for medical and resource needs...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37588752

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.n...rld/americas/hurricane-matthew-haiti.amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN12719D

Few reports coming out of the Bahamas...

Damage assessment teams in Jamaica, Cuba and Bahamas have posted few reports with severe storm damage with minimal casualties...

The Bahamas weren't spared the powerful winds of Hurricane Matthew...

I'm surprised travelers and Bahamian citizens decided to stay put on certain islands that took a direct hit from Hurricane Matthew...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...609530-8c42-11e6-8cdc-4fbb1973b506_video.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3826387/Hurricane-Matthew-causes-chaos-Bahamas.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/miamih...news/nation-world/world/article106579967.html

Hurricane Matthew passes by Jacksonville Beach still maintaining CAT 3 storm strength...

Jacksonville Florida WJAX on air live feed cam's... Some video cam's are down due to power outages...

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/weather/skycams

Parts of Jacksonville Beach have been breached due to the Storm Surge flow... Parts of the road along A1A in North Florida have fallen into the ocean due to shore erosion from Matthew...

People trapped on the Barrier Island near Jacksonville Beach... Extensive Flooding...

There is a pretty decent surge threat to Savannah and Charleston at this time. That angle of approach is more direct than any of these other US locations, and the storm's central pressure is not significantly weakening at this time. I see a pretty good chance at 10 feet of surge in some of those south facing bays...

I think some serious work needs to be done to the 72 hour models' equations, or maybe we need way more data points to input, or both. But none of the models have handled this hurricane well after the northward turn (which was well forecasted by them). After passing through the bahamas, the models' output for 72 hours has changed every time, east or west in the track. I live in Wayne co. NC and now they are forecasting wind gusts to 55mph and up to 10" of rain (likely power outages/flooding/problems), while last night at 11pm the forecast track showed my area getting light winds and only a few inches of rain :(

If hurricane forecasting was easy we'd all do it :) The issue is that a 20 mile drift changes things from "fairly bad" to "catastrophic." Forecasting ANY weather feature to +/- 20 miles at 48 hours out is IMPOSSIBLE. Not hard, or really hard, or extremely hard - impossible. Until the laws of physics change to make things easier for us, things like that will happen.

There's a curfew in Savannah and right now Matthew is still moving almost due north. The tornado threat might increase a little since it'll be south of the coast rather than being just east.

The HRRR shows the center of Matthew landfalling northeast of Charleston. However, the center might be a little unpredictable.

The Sea Islands are pretty much on their own as most if not all of the bridges and causeways off the islands are shut down.

High tide's still a few hours away.

Hilton Head Island and Charleston South Carolina appear to be ground zero for the closest eye wall land fall portion of Hurricane Matthew...

I was on Hilton Head Island's most southeastern point over a month ago in the beginning of September chasing Hermine thru Georgia and S. Carolina...

I can attest that whole area is under water at this moment in time...

The area is nothing but tidal flats and low lying island chains in the entire vicinity of Hilton Head Island and Charleston S.C.

10 ft + Storm Surge Flooding for sure...
Matthew struck hard pretty good at High Tide...

330ed4b7be48aecf9653fe58be503424.jpg

90a48915d86fc919db72900f5940f6e7.jpg

Just because pronouncing the HRRR model makes it sound like "hurr" does not mean it has any value in a hurricane. #Hint - it doesn't. It has predicted landfall multiples times from central Florida through SC all through this event. I see no value in it at all.

Storm Trackers...

Can we finally say Matthew has made landfall ?

6b50896ee72b462ff2d6ab0c6e865a70.jpg

I'll be honest and admit I was nervous as hell Wednesday night looking at this storm barreling down on us...

Like a mile wide EF5 tornado you can't escape away from until it turns the other direction...

Just thinking about going thru another possible CAT 5 storm was mind numbing...

Been there done that and almost paid the piper with my life...

*** Bullet Dodged *** [emoji20][emoji29][emoji100]

Back