Hurricane Harvey: 2017 Central Texas Coast

Unfortunately we're already starting to lose observed winds from automated stations. Rockport and Port Arkansas are no longer reporting winds. Gusts to 75 mph from the northwest at Corpus Christie Naval Air Station. Peak winds estimated from radar data on the northern eyewall are ~120 KT at 3500 ft ARL.

kcrp_20170825_2225_BV_0.5.png

Really impressed with the job Weather Nation has done today. FYI, there is a new cable channel on some providers called the "Severe Weather Channel." They show (altering) local TV station stations in the affected areas with live reports. A+

So far, it looks like Harvey is / was a "nothing burger" as far as category 4 storms go. No loss of life so far? This is great news. I've not seen any massive surge destruction or entire communities destroyed as you would expect with a category 4. Edit: (Some unconfirmed rumors of heavy damage and fatalities in areas not reached yet by authorities).

Maybe the estimated flooding will occur. I'm assuming the destructive wind fields were in a very narrow line and avoided large communities like Charlie did. It's likely Harvey did not have enough time at max-strength to pile-up the estimated surge levels.

Last edited:
The folks in Houston appear to be in a dire situation with the flooding rainfall they saw overnight and the long fetch of moisture being brought in by Harvey. With the storm only moving 1 mph things don't appear as though they'll improve anytime soon either.

Highly recommend this AP live feed from on the ground amidst rescue operations in Houston:

For those who want to get caught up on damage:

At this point, it is even hard to fathom what another 10-25 inches + could do to the Harris County area and just SE Texas in general after what has happened so far. This is just going to be absolutely horrific by time it is all said and done. Got to remember too that there is a ton of rain falling up stream of the Houston area too so this will all be ongoing for weeks and weeks....... While the press and focus is on Houston, got to remember all the other towns and cities that are getting hammered just as bad if not worse too. The images and video out of the region in the coming days will just be more tragic and horrific I imagine.

Have not heard much from the barrier islands. If I read the maps correctly, storm chasers were on the mainland. Somehow the eye held together from some beautiful lightning eyewall with stars shots. Too bad it is also so terrifying. Can we just have total solar eclipses?

Reliable NWS Met I know says Harvey is worse than Katrina. Houston is much bigger than Nola so it's not hyperbole. No Sandy comparisons yet. NYC is even bigger. Almost afraid to ask my friend from NJ who lives in Houston.

12Z Mon Euro has less additional QPF than official forecasts. I pray it is right.

Agree that we will be shocked and horrified when the cameras reach the barrier islands, when the Interstates drain and reveal submerged cars, and when they find people who drown in their attics. Harvey is a national tragedy.

FWIW - not that it matters in the scheme of things - I think Harvey was kept a tropical storm longer than was justified. Yes, it restrengthened to TS force after it moved back over the Gulf, that is not in dispute. But 24 - 36 hours after initial landfall when it was meandering a few miles from San Antonio, no observation stations anywhere were reporting tropical storm force winds; in fact the NWS's own advisories at the time acknowledged as much but stated they were keeping Harvey a TS based on the unverified assumption there were 40mph winds aloft "somewhere" in the circulation.

Thought I saw your live cam in there - appreciated that. It's too bad you didn't go insanely viral like that one guy; but then that sort of attention is as much a curse as it is a blessing.

Back