How many tornadoes did you get this year so far?

ZERO...............wow, I have been chasing in the wrong places :p Then again I have not been out on some spectactular days in the Kansas city area either....

lol @ Jeff W's avatar ...

2 ... weak, poor excuses for tornadoes ... one brief spinup and one just as it was getting dark ... Nic Wilson and I both share the Midas touch this year ... though I think there are several of us in the same boat.

Maybe 4, maybe ZERO:

May 10th: Maybe one in Iowa.

May 12th: Most likely one near South Plains.

May 13th: Probably one low contrast stove pipe and maybe another no condensation funnel ground circulation.

I know, all the maybes suck but it has been a year of beautiful storms and hard to see short lived tornadoes for me.

How many tornados have you seen this year?

Atleast 6-still looking through video.

Originally posted by nickgrillo
How many tornadoes did you get so far this year? My current count is 6 so far this season...

Zero. (I don't count wishnados, gustnados, maybenados, sheriffnados, or tornados pulled out of my ass by playing with the contrast in pictures.)

Of course, the way some people count, maybe 26 would be more "competitive"?

How many tornados have you seen this year?

KMc Callisterwrote:
Zero. (I don't count wishnados, gustnados, maybenados, sheriffnados, or tornados pulled out of my ass by playing with the contrast in pictures.)

Of course, the way some people count, maybe 26 would be more "competitive"? End.

Sounds like a bit of jealously, I haven't seen anyone saying "I've seen more tornados than you", being rudely competitive, etc. or playing with contrast in pictures to "get more tornados". I think by starting this thread Nick was trying to find out what kind of a year it has been so far for many chasers.

Originally posted by KMcCallister+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMcCallister)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-nickgrillo
How many tornadoes did you get so far this year? My current count is 6 so far this season...

Of course, the way some people count, maybe 26 would be more "competitive"?[/b]

Just the other day, I was walking down the street and saw a plastic bag lift off ground and spin up the side of an office building. I shouted "TORNADO ON THE GROUND!!!" and called 911. I think that brings my tornado count this year to one hundred and thirteen. There is no way you can beat that.

But at least you still have your integrity, unlike me and all the other chasers here, who are clearly dustdevil-chasin' yahoos. :wink:

LOL, I know Kenneth, and his post doesn't surprise me at all. That's just his opinion on "counting". A lot of people get weird whenever someone mentions "tornado counts" for whatever reason, I think the root of it has something to do with the philosophy that "chasing is for the pure enjoyment of the atmosphere and appreciation of the Plains and the spiritual oneness with Nature..."

I dunno, doesn't bother me to talk numbers. I guess some people just feel it's petty. IMO, it's a way of measuirng success....we're not all storm chasers out there :wink:

I only count tornadoes that form within 50 feet of my vehicle.

How many times does a person actually get a perfect, high contrast twister in an ideal position out there anyway? - Half the time what a person is able to confirm visually under the storm base and what actually comes out on video or in photos later are two totally different animals. Film latitudes being what they are, getting that perfect shot that confirms your tornado to the world is a dang tough thing to do. So my thinking is to go ahead and mess with that contrast and help the rest of us get an idea of what you were seeing. This strict science of only calling it a tornado if it is under the most idyllic circumstances has never made sense. Of course, I'm not a scientist. Being that most of us are not scientists and Stormtrack is not a site that cators to scientists as much as it does chasers, I'd say if we decide to count funnels more than halfway to the ground, hard to see in photos, or others, then let the scientists count whatever they want to serve their purposes ... but stop trying to tell everyone else what they are seeing out there. In time, I believe that all chasers tend to refine the art and their accuracy just because it is part of the hobby to get better and more accurate as time goes on. But we have to remember that this is just a hobby isn't it ...

Hmmm...none! But I have seen several kangaroos, wombats, and wallabys. I did get to see some tornado damage in New Zealand, but unfortunately I got there about a week too late to see the tornado itself :p. I'm really hoping for an active autumn mini-season this year because my case of SDS is starting to get really bad :-(.

Back