Heatwave

• Thread starter Mike Hollingshead
  • Start date
Luckily, there are some hit and miss storms out on the central and northern plains today. It's been real humid here and not very hot but the temps will be on their way up to around 100 here with upper 60's / lower 70's dewpoints. A "deflector shield" has been set up over parts of central AR, evidenced by the latest drought monitor. My vicinity went from D0 to D2 within 2 weeks :p
And the way the outlooks are going, it doesn't look good at all :(
*prays for strong El-Nino*

Plenty hot in Norman... 101 last I checked. Currently my aprt.'s thermostat is set to 65F (actually I just dialed it down to 50). Spare bedroom temp where my computer is = 85F. Rest of apartment is somewhere around ~80F. Yuck!

Aaron

As long as the heat is gone by July 28th, I'm fine... I'm getting married outside on the 28th in Minnesota, and I'm certainly hoping that there's a nice trough siting over or east of the area. I'd really love it if the temperature was 75F at the start of the ceremony... 95F and sticky -- NO THANKS!

Wow, isn't the GFS supposed to be the "cold-baised" model? Even Chicago will feel the effects of this. It won't be another 1988 or 1995, but it's gonna get hot.

07-13-06 Some high temps

101 Chamberlain SD

105 Mc Cook NE
101 Imperial NE
100 Grand Island NE

106 Medicine Lodge KS
102 Dodge City, Hill City, Russell. Salina KS

108 Lawton OK
107 Frederick OK
106 Hobart OK
102 Oklahoma City OK

110 Wink TX
108 Vernon TX
108 Wichita Falls TX
104 Childress TX
103 Denton TX
102 Abilene, Dallas, Lubbock, Midland TX

Grand Rapids MI had a High of 88, today is the anniversary of the highest temperature
on record in our town. 108 back in 1936. Since 1960, there has only been 2 days where
the temperature made it to 100 degrees. Normal High for us 82 degrees.

Mike
P.S. I take a job as a janitor or doing some office work in a private weather company.
as long as I get my foot in the door. PM if anyone knows of a place.

This one still seems to have its eyes on the central and northern plains. It gets and stays so cold up here all winter, is it really necessary to get hot too?

Great day to go camping around Pierre SD tomorrow:

SATURDAY...VERY HOT. BREEZY
SUNNY. NEAR RECORD HIGHS AROUND
111. SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH SHIFTING TO THE SOUTHWEST 15 TO 25
MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.

This one still seems to have its eyes on the central and northern plains. It gets and stays so cold up here all winter, is it really necessary to get hot too?
[/b]

Yeah that is amazing how it can vary so much between seasons. The roads up there must really take a beating with large seasonal temp swings like that...

We have the John Deere Classic golf tourneyment going on at the TPC course this weekend. The conditions are going to be terrible for walking 18 holes. High temps are forecasted to be pushing 100°, with dewpoints near (or possibly a bit over 70° with our ongoing annual max evapotranspiration) producing heat indicies above 105°. Michelle Wie already withdrew from the tourneyment today from heat exhaustion.

Do any of you guys think parts of South Dakota has a shot at topping 115° this weekend?

July 14th:

CHAMBERLAIN SD : 102F
MOBRIDGE: 104F
PIERRE: 103F
KENNEBEC: 103F
PHILIP: 105F
SPEARFISH: 105F
RAPID CITY: 104 (RECORD)

The incidence of fires has increased significantly in the last 48 hours. 3.9u imagery shows at least five different fires in South Dakota. The most significant in extreme SW SD. There are some very significant fires in NE WY & SE MT. Smoke from these fires has kept temps down a bit in some locations.

USGS Interactive Drought Monitor: http://gisdata.usgs.net/website/Drought_Mo...ring/viewer.php

NEWS:
Article on local fires
Fire Blog- (Wyoming & Black Hills Fires)

Fire information:
Montana-
Bundry Railroad Fire- 25,000 acres (0% contained)
Pine Ridge Complex (5 fires)- 20,000 acres (10% contained)

Wyoming:
Thorne Divide Complex (Crook County): 4,000 acres at 10 percent contained (This fire is producing lots of smoke and appears to have expanded.

South Dakota:
Wolf Canyon (South Dakota State): 100 acres at 30 percent contained
(Several new fires have shown up today, all west of the MO river)

Tommorow should be the warmest day, with 110 degrees possible for some locations. 100+ temps should continue through Tuesday.

Its noon here in Norman and I just got in from a run to Wal-Mart and I can honestly tell you, its HOTTER THAN BLAZES out there. I called just while ago and had my modeling appointment pushed back to 9:30/10am from noon b/c of the dang heat.

-please take care of pets too, theyll need it

July 15th, 12:00 Update:

Current Temps:
Chamberlain- 103F
Pierre- 102F
Mobridge- 103F
Huron- 102F
Rapid City- 102F (I think this is already nearing record levels)
Phillip- 104F

Fire Danger & Update:
Extreme temps in the 100-110 range, with RH in the 10-15% range (20-30% in the east) will combine with gusty winds in the 15-25kt range to create critical fire conditions. Current AVHRR/3.9u anaylsis shows two new fires east of the MO river, one near Watertown (though smoke plume has weakend) and one (or multiple fires) near Chamberlain. Two large complexes of fires continue in WY and masny continue inl MT. Smoke Plume is across most of SD, with even more smoke working it's way across the state.

News:
Wyoming Fires Continue out of control.
130,000 ACRE Montana Pine Ridge Fire

Pictures will follow later, as well as likely records for many cities.

UPDATE: Record report for yesterday:
A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 104 DEGREES WAS SET AT MOBRIDGE TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 103 SET IN 1988.

While they are definetly baking up in SW South Dakota and NW Nebraska with 100 + temps already only going to climb higher, I dont feel too sorry for the area (excluding the fire threat they have); they got dew points in the Mid 50's here in E Nebraska we got slightly cooler temps but crazy dew points at 11:56 AM We are sitting at 92 with a 73 degree dew point and virtually no wind varible at 5 mph. I think I woud take a 110 reading over a 100 reading and 70 degree dew points.

12:15 just the noon hour!! Audubon IA just to the E of Omaha is reporting 79 degree dewpoint with a 90 degree temp for a heat index of 106

Chadron NE is currently 104. It is 11:30 a.m. local time there! OUCH.

As far as the dews, it can get worse, lol. Last year a day in w IA had several places reporting dewpoitns in the mid-upper 80s! I saw an 87, 86, and 85 TD at 3 different locations. There was weak front in the area and the area had just recieved some healthy rain. Onawa IA was 101/87...for a heat index of 138! I remember stepping outside here that day and it was the hottest air I can remember here(which is bad since it gets so nasty here in the summer with the corn around). The other time I remember is the day it was 114 in Tekamah. I don't remember that air feeling all that much better than the 101/87 day.

Today should see some temps around 115 in the plains I would imagine.

July 15th, 12:00 Update:

Current Temps:
Chamberlain- 103F
Pierre- 102F
Mobridge- 103F
Huron- 102F
Rapid City- 102F (I think this is already nearing record levels)
Phillip- 104F

Fire Danger & Update:
Extreme temps in the 100-110 range, with RH in the 10-15% range (20-30% in the east) will combine with gusty winds in the 15-25kt range to create critical fire conditions. Current AVHRR/3.9u anaylsis shows two new fires east of the MO river, one near Watertown (though smoke plume has weakend) and one (or multiple fires) near Chamberlain. Two large complexes of fires continue in WY and masny continue inl MT. Smoke Plume is across most of SD, with even more smoke working it's way across the state.

News:
Wyoming Fires Continue out of control.
130,000 ACRE Montana Pine Ridge Fire

Pictures will follow later, as well as likely records for many cities.
[/b]

Funny how you can just go into southern NE, Iowa, MN and be in the lower 90s. So bareable temps arent that far away from the 100+ areas.

funny how you can just go into southern NE, Iowa, MN and be in the lower 90s. So bareable temps arent that far away from the 100+ areas.
[/b]

While it maybe cooler, the dewpoints are 5-10 degrees higher, so more/less the feel temp is the same since temps in the 100-105 range with DP in the 50s is the same as temps in the mid 90s and DPs in the upper 60s/low70s.

Back