GPS Capture Device, Photo Tagging, and Route Display

I know there are plenty of GPS posts around here, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I've got a USB GPS puck that works fine and all, but I'm looking at a standalone GPS logger, something like the Bad Elf 2200 (http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-2200-...TF8&qid=1423752640&sr=8-2&keywords=gps+logger).

I'd like to go this route because of it's "set it and forget it" ability. I can log on my laptop, but sometimes I don't want to take my laptop. I can log on my phone with different apps, but constant logging kills the battery and sometimes I forget to plug the phone in if I'm in and out of the car.

It appears that I can export it easily enough in KML or GPX formats. Therefore I'm looking for a good solution to import that and geotag a bunch of DSLR photos, as well as create a map of my route. I'd like to use Google Maps like I used to, but since they upgraded to the new Google Maps I haven't figured out how to do it. I don't want to use Google Earth because I want a "map" view instead of the "earth" view.

Does anybody have experience with devices like this, and what are the best options for mass geotagging and route map creation? Thanks.

I've been looking at the Bad Elf 2200 too—for similar reasons. I've used 'GPS Tracks' on my phone for the last couple years, and the phone has to be plugged in almost constantly or else the battery is toast in no time. That leads to all sorts of goof-ups when I want it outside with me, checking radar & whatever else and then forget to plug it back in. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Bad Elf tracker this chase season.

For merging to a map and with photos, I'll be using LightRoom. So I'm not sure what other software options are ideal for synching gpx to map to photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back