• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Street mapping software

So without Microsoft Streets and Trips these days, what is everyone using for their mapping software? I just got a new laptop so it doesn't appear MS&T is an option anymore. I am looking for some detailed maps that have the dirt back roads on them, can take GPS input, and can work offline.

Phone GPS and Google Maps just doesn't do it for me, as the maps generally require data (unless you download them ahead of time) and the screen is just too small to zoom in and out. I see there are some older street map shape files on GRLevelX, but it looks like people were having all sorts of problems getting those to work and the files are huge.

Any ideas? The need to pre-plan turns on sketchy dirt roads is one of the most important parts of chasing and it just doesn't seem that there are any good tools out there to do that with a laptop anymore.

So without Microsoft Streets and Trips these days, what is everyone using for their mapping software? I just got a new laptop so it doesn't appear MS&T is an option anymore. I am looking for some detailed maps that have the dirt back roads on them, can take GPS input, and can work offline.

Phone GPS and Google Maps just doesn't do it for me, as the maps generally require data (unless you download them ahead of time) and the screen is just too small to zoom in and out. I see there are some older street map shape files on GRLevelX, but it looks like people were having all sorts of problems getting those to work and the files are huge.

Any ideas? The need to pre-plan turns on sketchy dirt roads is one of the most important parts of chasing and it just doesn't seem that there are any good tools out there to do that with a laptop anymore.
I never had any issue with the 2021 shapefiles on GR. Several others I know haven't said anything to me about it either. It's pretty straightforward.

I have never had a problem with Google Maps. I use it on an iPad so the screen is not too small. I don’t remember a time when the map wouldn’t load, and even when you lose a cell signal it keeps tracking on the map - never did understand exactly how that works… 🤔

Back