Good-looking storm is heading towards the eastern Med

71040121.jpg

Nice looking eye! :shock:

That's a beautiful Cyprus low. I anxiously await the thunderstorms it shall bring me tomorrow evening. I'm still looking for a CG bolt over here. Maybe tomorrow will be the night :D

Once again, Accuweather downplays the thunder probs. A big' ol goose-egg for tomorrow and Friday.

Out of curiosity I did up an 18Z map for that area (this is all hand-sketched in Paint Shop). It appears that there's
actually a pre-existing frontal system further south. My first guess is that earlier in its lifecycle that front had
moved onto the north African coast, maturing and spawning an occlusion that picked up that boundary
through Israel into the eastern Med (which is probably a little further south than what I drew). Baroclinic
development probably then took off.

It's easy to see why Rome lost so many ships in the Mediterranean during the winter months!

medsystem.gif

I'm not sure if that Red Sea moisture is capped or shallow, but I'd certainly be keeping an eye on it for storms as those height falls and convergence zones arrive.

Nice map Tim, how do you create it?

Here's the GFS analysis map for the storm (from GrADS):

71057997.png

Take a look at this:

Could this be considered a "warm core"? It is apparent only up until 650mb. At 500mb the colder air is in the middle.
71060748.png

71060805.png

71060822.png

No, it's almost certainly cold core. You have to look near the top of the troposphere, and there you'll find the cold core.

About the surface map, that was done with Digital Atmosphere (www.digitalatmosphere.com).

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Vasquez
No, it's almost certainly cold core. You have to look near the top of the troposphere, and there you'll find the cold core.

About the surface map, that was done with Digital Atmosphere (www.digitalatmosphere.com).

Tim

Yes Tim, that is one of the most important synoptic pattern(cold core low) producing strong tornadic supercell in Sicily that is one of the southern regions of Italy(when it's further west). Every year in autumn months it always produces waterspouts and often strong tornadoes(F2-F3). Do tou remember that big multivortex wedge I posted last year here on Stormtrack? That was produced thanks to a cold core low like this.

http://storms.meteonetwork.it/uploads/img4...183b8f242db.png

http://storms.meteonetwork.it/uploads/img4...183babcce36.png

I make you see a cool image of the system. You can see an incredible desert sand thrown inside the see.

Egypt.A2005349.1125.1km.jpg

Originally posted by Andrea Griffa

I make you see a cool image of the system. You can see an incredible desert sand thrown inside the see.

That is something I DON'T want to see on March 29! My chase partner Bill Winkler and I will be chasing a lunar shadow in Libya on that day. We are taking a cruise on the Sinfonia from Genoa, Italy with port calls at Naples, Sicily, Egypt, Tobruk, Alexandria, Malta, etc. before returning to Genoa. From Tobruk we will be taking a two hour bus trip into the Libyan desert for the eclipse.

Lookin good. That thing is sitting south of Crete now. The sand being sucked into the storm is quite amazing. I'm sitting here in Baghdad as the sun is about to break out of the clouds, should be near 70 later on. The rain is expected by evening. Hope I get a good storm.

This storm draws ever so closer now. It's the warmest it's been all day, mut be about 60 now at 10pm. The rain is expected at about 2am. The humidity has skyrocketed since 6 hours ago.

10:52pm ADT Well, it begins. A light shower moved through, and at the end, a cannonball CG blast occured, I missed it though

Very strong thunderstorms are rumbling across Israel now. In Jerusalem a severe thunderstorm passed just a few minutes ago, with large hail that accumulated to 5 cm, very heavy rain that's causing flash floods in the Judean desert, and lightning every 3 to 5 seconds. That was very intense!

Back