Feb 20-22 FCST: KS/MO Winter Storm

Looks like a good solid 6-10" of snow (possibly convective type) for the KC Metro on Sunday 21st. Right now getting giant snowflakes here in OP so may be looking at some accum. by rush hour here if trends continue...ground a bit warm so that will have to be overcome first.

I agree if you believe the NAM which seems to be more consistent than the GFS that had the highest totals in EC/SE Kansas but now has them in SE NE/NW MO/SW IA. It also looks like winds could reach near blizzard conditions come Sunday night. It's going to feel sooo nice when I step into the warm moist air of that first chase!

It looks like the heaviest snow will again be in central Kansas to central Iowa.The local news stations show this and has most of Missouri seeing rain with NW Missouri seeing snow. Winter storm watches are out for most of Kansas, NW Missouri and SW Iowa. Anyone in central Missouri expecting snow may be dissapointed with this storm.

It looks like the heaviest snow will again be in central Kansas to central Iowa.The local news stations show this and has most of Missouri seeing rain with NW Missouri seeing snow. Winter storm watches are out for most of Kansas, NW Missouri and SW Iowa. Anyone in central Missouri expecting snow may be dissapointed with this storm.

Yeah over the last 24 hours updates hadn't been looking good; I guess that's how it goes sometimes. My friend in Iowa will once again see a nice layer added to the snowpack though.:D

Looks like the heaviest band of snow will be setting up along and a little NW of a line from St. Joseph, MO to Davenport IA, to Kenosha, WI. Get ready to shovel the heavy wet snow Joel as I think you will be in the heavy band axis since you live a little Northeast of the Davenport area in Erie. I am sort of bummed out here near Peoria as it looks like we will get maybe 2-4 inches of snow on mainly the backside of the storm with a good portion of the precip being rain. A good 6-9 inch band still appears likely just to the NW of the 850 mb low with isolated 10-12 inch amounts. Oh well, the less snow I get here the closer I will be towards getting warmer temps. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! More snow for us to deal with. It was nice when it first started back in Nov/Dec, but now its just getting old, Im ready for Spring and a good supercell to be under please :D

Thankfully, I appear to be getting a long awaited break from the snowfall this week as this next storm will primarily only leave a dusting for me up north. As indicated above already, in Iowa the heaviest snows will be moving out of MO into SE IA where totals could be fairly significant this time.

Newest Nam has shifted things a little SE now. If he GFS shows this also, then I may be on the far SE side of the heavy snow band a little east of Peoria. I would not be surprised that the winter storm watch will be exteded a little further SE in IL. The heaviest band of snow according to the newest nam shows it in a line from St. Joseph, Mo ENE towards Chicago to southern lower MI with some places in Northwestern IL getting 12 inches +. The nam has a tendency to overestimate the snowfall so I would not be surprised to see a swath of 6-9 to locally 10-12 in the heaviest band.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the NWS has painted a 4-6" swath of snow from Grand Island to Omaha. Nothing too impressive by my standards, but it will be a good snow event to go out to the lake and take some pictures.

Was hoping for one last snowstorm...but it looks like i'll be sitting this one out. Looking like for now mostly rain for me, with some brief snow on the back side. Oh well...enjoy the snow up north!

Starting to snow pretty well here in Lincoln, hopefully the higher snow totals will move a little north...

Its not really piling up here in Lincoln though, i wonder how Beatrice and Falls City are fairing since they have been in the snow longer.

The winds are moving across Iowa from the north east and bringing dry air which is keeping the snow south of Des Moines. A High pressure system will move south and end up near the Iowa/Minnesota boarder keeping winds from the northwest and keeping central Iowa in dry area for awhile longer. Snow totals for my area just east of Des Moines looks to be 3-5". I was forecast to receive 5-8" of snow but with this dry air that looks unlikely now.

The heaviest snows look to end up along the Iowa/Missouri boarder where 8+ inches of snow looks likely. 10-12" was being forecasted but because of dry air that has changed.

AccuWeather lightning data shows quite a few CG's in the Texas Panhandle. Data from 00Z NAM shows increasing freezing rain potential from WWD to ICT to EMP to GVW.

Have had some bursts of moderate snow with some fat snowflakes today so far....now back to some light snow & sleet. Looks like the main event is still on for tomorrow. If NAM is to believed looks like 8-10 inches north and 3-5 inches central and 1-3 inches south part of the KC Metro (gradient is right on top of KC) for tomorrow's snow event. The tricky part is the transition from the S/IP mix to all snow. It looks like there will be certainly some banded heavy snow pockets somewhere close by... Latest report>>> around 1" here in OP as of 10pm.

Back