Denver 2007, whose going, whose not?

Doug_Kiesling

Several of us are planning a snow mobile run up in the mountains before the conference in Denver and I'm just wondering who all is going this year to the Denver conference?

I know there is a poll on their site but the spyware freaks out on it saying cookies must be enabled. Right now I know of almost a dozen chasers that said they are not going. Main factor was the cost since they are saving up for the chase season. $600 - $800 average for 3 nights hotel, airfare, food and conference fees, that equals up to an extra week out chasing for a couple people in one group.

Tim is there a way to put up a poll on stormtrack for the conferences to who is going to which one such as Iowa, TESSA, Denver, and the rest?

Several of us are planning a snow mobile run up in the mountains before the conference in Denver and I'm just wondering who all is going this year to the Denver conference?

I know there is a poll on their site but the spyware freaks out on it saying cookies must be enabled.

I can state for an absolute fact there is NO spyware on the chaserconvention.com website, nor are there any cookies being used.

EDIT: There is a cookie being used when you go to register through PayPal...it's required to make PayPal work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Doug,

Certainly, everyone has their priority with their $$$. We don't expect every single weather weenie out there. If I was a poor college student-chaser living on Ramen noodles, I'd save my $$$ for gas.

Based on the poll thus far, there are ~100 folks who are planning on it...and we're still in December!

I started this 'gathering' many years ago at my home (Doug, you are in one of the group pictures back then! :) ) for passionate chasers to share and learn...and to break up the boring late winter season.

Indeed, there are other really good conventions-I've been to most of them, and they are fantastic. TESSA put on an astounding convention last year honoring Dave Hoadley.

What sets our convention apart from the rest, is the pure fact that we focus ENTIRELY on you...the storm chaser....and everything related to it. We fly in world-class speakers to talk to YOU about the latest in severe weather research, we try our best to bring excellent educational tools so that YOU can enjoy this great hobby with more confidence each Spring.

As a reminder, this is something that Roger and I do out of our passion...we always keep our fingers crossed that we break even each year. We are not in it for the $$$...we do it for the love of the hobby, and the socialization of chasers in a non-storm environment.

I hope that David answered you question regarding the 'spyware' issue.

I really, really hope to see many of you there!

All the best,
Tim Samaras

I have only been to one conference in my life and it was back in 03 to Des Moines, Iowa. I asked my dad if he wanted to go to Denver for this one actually I was surprised because I told him about storm chasing conferences and he told me about going to Denver. So I dont know if that was a hint he was going to take me? Or he was just letting me know about it. He is very familiar with Colorado and that area so maybe I will be attending. I would feel a little weird at first on account it would be the first time I was there but after a couple of hours I am sure it'll be like the old days when I was in high school and everybody knew everybody.

I am definitely planning on going. I have gone for the past 2 years and the convention is always awesome. Tim and Roger and everyone do and incredible job. It is definitely worth going to!

I SO wish I could go this year. Unfortunately, one of my jobs didn't withhold taxes for me, and neither did I, so I have to pay the price between now and then. Perhaps next year!

Tim, I just looked at the site again and now the cookies required for the poll is gone. Wow, looks like it is still on track for last years numbers.

I won't be able to make it out to Denver this year. Conflict with something else I can't move. I'll be at Iowa though.

-John

Unfortunately, I have a family commitment that weekend (stuff that goes with being married) that I can't get out of. That won't affect me for future conventions. Otherwise, I would be going.

I have gone the last couple of years and always have had a wonderful time. The convention is a great learning experience and alot of fun. The organizers are able to achieve a nice balance for new chasers and experienced chasers.

I definitely recommend attending whether you are a beginner or veteran chaser or are considering chasing.

Below are links to some images that I took in 2005 and 2006.

http://www.harkphoto.com/NSCC2006.html

http://www.harkphoto.com/NSCC2005.html

Bill Hark

Tim is absolutely right about the convention. It is focused on nobody but the attendees. And Tim is also right (OF COURSE!) about us flying in speakers from all over the country (AT OUR EXPENSE) to make presentations, TEACH their favorite severe weather subjects, etc. There will be even MORE vendors this year too!

And I can assure you, we are DEFINITELY NOT in it for the $$. We sweat it out every year and try to price attendance to cover the speaker fees, airfare, hotel costs, FOOD, ice breaker cost, etc, and to have nothing left over. The convention costs us an average in the 5 figures every year to do it! Why put ourselves at risk? FOR YOU!! FOR THE CHASER COMMUNITY! FOR THE ABSOLUTE LOVE OF CHASING. Nothing else.

BTW, I am sure everyone has seen, but we had 2-4 FEET of snow from that blizzard and I for one AM heading up snowmobiling next week LOL!!

Tim, Dave and I VERY MUCH hope to see many of you there!!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and I hope you have a fantastic New Year filled with supercells!

Roger Hill

I'll be at there. It is actually my first time going there and i can't wait to meet and talk with everyone.

My dad and I are planning on going skiing after the convention as a matter of fact.:)

Merry Christmas,
Michael O'Keeffe

As of now, I plan on going... however, I'm applying for work and if I land a job... well then at least I'll have a few more bucks when chase season does arrive. as for snowmobiling, I'll be game for that but I'll prefer skiing instead.

Rocky&family

Back