Chase Case #15

That does it. I'm doing what I should have done from the start and heading north toward that supercell up by Bayard. If anything pops along the way, great, but so far that's the only show in town, and it looks to be a dandy. Night time chasing? I don't care--I'll take it. Anything to see a tornado, or even just a decent storm, after several hours of wandering around like an idiot. Roughly 70 miles from me--I'll be there in an hour.

I'm heading to the east toward Haskell, TX, following this beast and enjoying the sights and sounds. Looks like it will pass southwest of Haskell?

Of course...as usual I drive in circles while my original target storm takes off. Heck with it...I'm setting up for lightning shots NE of CDS, then finding a bar.

For the 21z update, I think I need to head east a bit more toward Witchita Falls, TX. I see the little cell popping up south east of AMA. Maybe I can intercept it. Perhaps that will put me in better location for the next cell to pop up if I don't reach that one.

Urgent Notice

<3 short crackly tones, 1 long clear tone>

"From the National Weather Service in..."

At 0011z a possible tornado was reported 2 miles south of Rule, TX.

• car damaged by flying debris

Originally poste by Jarred Farrar
I am worried that its going to start to get messy up there! So I will play this southern cell until things get going a little more!

For the 22z update, I have to agree. I think I will head to the southern most cell, but will keep my eyes on the other cells just in case.

At 23z, I see some nice structured cells. If only they would get a little more organized. I still have hope. Got a few nice lightning shots, so not too dissapointed about that. I'm awaiting the infamous hail of Texas to hit. Could be exciting. I am now sitting watching a wall cloud try to form. I think it can. I think it can. I hope it can. I hope it can. Also dreaming about NE.

0z update...I'm looking at a nice wall cloud on the southern cell north of ABI. Looks like it will produce any minute now. I see a little funnel starting to drop??? I hope??? Please, for the love of God!!! (pulls on hair) I could have been in NE for cryin out loud!!! Come on, baby, you can do it!!!

Pretty much sitting under the cell in extreme SW OK, but obviously I would've stayed out of its way. If it's producing, I'm seeing it.

<3 short crackly tones, 1 long clear tone>

"From the National Weather Service in..."

At 0011z a possible tornado was reported 2 miles south of Rule, TX.

• car damaged by flying debris

Got one!!! Hope you get to see one before the night is over, Marc. Oh, my car was damaged too, but not by the tornado or great Texas hail as I was previously discussing. My debris was a big chunk of manure from a truck hauling cattle. Eeeewwww!!!!!

Got one!!! Hope you get to see one before the night is over, Marc. Oh, my car was damaged too, but not by the tornado or great Texas hail as I was previously discussing. My debris was a big chunk of manure from a truck hauling cattle. Eeeewwww!!!!!

Pretty unlikely considering I didn't move until 20z from McCook, NE. I have a good 4 to 5 hour drive to the cell. It still looks great, but I'll be getting up under the beast right around dark. I guess I can hope for some nocturnal action! Nice catch Sarah! Wish I could join you. Oh wait... I'm in Mountain Standard Time now :eek:! I might just have enough daylight to see something yet! I gotta get of this computer and pay attention to the road!

Giving up. Not only I busted, but the night is approaching as well... Calling it a day, thanks folks for this interesting scenario. I guess I better reread what I have so far read about convective weather and its forecasting.

Back