CHASE CASE 1

I'm going to play the triple point up by Valentine, NE - made the drive up through the sand hills and am an hour from I-90 if I need to shoot further north.

I'm going to wait for that 0z data, and head out after that. I'll probably be taking I-80 west out of Chicago and sleeping in the van somewhere along the way. Dews looked pretty weak on those surface charts with mediocre surface winds to get things moving along, which is making me consider a more southerly target (KS or panhandles), but if there does indeed look like the high plains in western NE/KS or eastern CO will be getting some moisture, I'd love to do an upslope play where the shear is better.

I am leaving Tulsa and heading to western KS. Will stop someplace like DDC or Garden City for the night. Visible sat would make the OFB's in the TX panhandle easier to make out. I too like the southern play.

I decided to add TOR Hatch for game day as well. This sort of data would be included with spc outlooks, so here you all go.

206k45x.gif

ADDED SOUNDINGS:

OKLAHOMA CITY: http://i49.tinypic.com/zxjguc.gif

DODGE CITY: http://i47.tinypic.com/2dwfgcz.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still in Great Bend, KS and I'm staying put. Dryline will be to my west, and I have great road access out of Great Bend. I think the storms further south (in my area) will be more isolated than further north (NE, SD). I might be wrong, but I'll take the chance.

Matt, I think there might have been a misunderstanding, which is okay. I am still at home in St. Joseph, MO waiting for more data the night before the event, not in Topeka. I will either be shooting west on 70 toward W KS later tonight or shooting up and across NE on 80. Either way, I will likely make up my mind later tonight and leave for a night drive and get a few hours of sleep somewhere along the way.

I'm with those heading into SD. Moisture looks a little unbecoming, but I think there'll be enough good moisture along the higher terrain and especially further east to get some supercells initially in S/SW SD. At this point, I would put myself somewhere in the vicinity of Mission to Kadoka, SD to watch the storms develop above the higher terrain of the Badlands.

I'm not so sure this is ultimately the right call as I'm quite worried about moisture (Rapid City Td on the sounding is 55, but further east on the sfc map there's Td's in the low to mid-60's), but I think once storms push off the higher terrain and encounter the better moisture further east, there's a chance for a few tornadoes given the strongly sheared environment.

Matt, I think there might have been a misunderstanding, which is okay. I am still at home in St. Joseph, MO waiting for more data the night before the event, not in Topeka. I will either be shooting west on 70 toward W KS later tonight or shooting up and across NE on 80. Either way, I will likely make up my mind later tonight and leave for a night drive and get a few hours of sleep somewhere along the way.

NO PROBLEM RANDY, I WILL PLACE YOU IN ST. JOE FOR NOW

NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE. . .I ADDED DATA ON PAGE 8

I arrived in North Platte in the late afternoon/early evening. After perusing the 0Z/1Z data made available, I am going to bed here and get up around 5 am to determine where I will be heading from here. Night all. :p

We are still talking about the evening before the chase day case, yes?
I apologize, but the reference to it being game day and having SPC day 1 text/maps, while all the data/maps is from 0z/01z the evening before is throwing me off. Not trying to be nit picky, just want to be sure I'm on the right page.

After looking at 0z data, I am heading out the door now and gonna shoot up to 80 and west to try and make a Triple Point play tomorrow. I am shooting for North Platte at around 4 or 4:30 AM to get at least a couple hours of sleep, than look at 12z data in the morning.

We are still talking about the evening before the chase day case, yes?
I apologize, but the reference to it being game day and having SPC day 1 text/maps, while all the data/maps is from 0z/01z the evening before is throwing me off. Not trying to be nit picky, just want to be sure I'm on the right page.

YES INDEED, IT IS THE EVENING IN ADVANCE OF CHASE DAY. THE GAME DAY REFERENCE MEANS "CHASE IS ON".

Thanks Matt! I'm going to make the drive up I-76 to North Platte, NE and hotel it for the night. It will give me good road options in all directions for the morning.

Back