Cell Phone Net Connection?

Sprint

I have gone the USB adapter route with my Sprint connection and it works great.

A couple lessons learned.

1.) I bought my USB adapter off Ebay. A key is to find one that actually charges your phone through the USB. Most cell phones manufacturers senselessly locate the data jack and recharge jack right next to each other. You will not be able to charge your phone with a data jack in place on most phones. The one I purchased uses the PC power supply through the USB to charge the phone in addition to providing the data feed -- it works GREAT! The CD/driver took all of 2 minutes to install and the whole package cost like $12!!

2.) Make sure you physically turn on the Sprint PCS plan for the $15 flat fee, or be prepared to receive a bill that charges 1 cent per kb. You may not think this is much, but after a test dry run I received a near heart attack $250 cell phone bill. Thankfully I convinced the Sprint rep to undo the charges and charge me $15 instead. It's a cheap loop hole because the flat fee rate should take effect the first time you connect to the Internet with your phone.

Otherwise, as I said, it works GREAT. On the interstates we were getting solid broadband speeds. Even better, because the 777# "number" doesn't physically dial out like a modem, you don't lose your internet connection hopping from tower to tower at 70-75 mph. The phone reconnects to the new tower in a split second and you won't even notice it. At least on my Samsung A600, the LCD turns into a RX/TX screen showing you the transmission rates. Pretty cool!

Evan

Aside from Sprint you can also go a Cingular Method:

1) Acquire a phone that has GPRS and EDGE capabilities of Class 10, and of course offers a mobile internet port
2) Check on the data feed cables and beware of aftermarkets ... the chipsets within the cables might be older modifications and therefore do not produce the same data feed results as may be advertised. The best advice is to simply buy direct from Cingular
3) Since most the Great Plains is GPRS (Oklahoma is mainly EDGE with 75 to 135 kpbs depending on service) it is best to simply get the MediaNET unlimited package of $19.99 and link into wap.cingular using your cell phone as a modeum. Some say packet data information feed is crappy at times, some don't complain at all. All aside the phone acts like a 56k modeum.
4) Make sure to check firmware packages, SIM card specifications, etc with your respective cell phone to ensure you're getting the best feed possible into the phone without any error.

To be honest I haven't tested this method, only done the extensive research ... but I plan on getting a Nokia 6682 and seeing if the package data works on MediaNET while watching my cell phone bill in real time. If there's errors involved, overages, etc., I'll inform everyone as to my progress.

Originally posted by Robert Edmonds
If I was to try this with alltel would it work, and would I get charged extra on a 'normal' plan?

Alltel only allows access to the usual QNC for free. QNC uses up your minutes, though it's totally free on nights and weekends. It seems to be available all over a lot of the plains, too, especially Nebraska. The downside to QNC is that it's slllooowwwww, at around 14.4kb/s if you're lucky.

If you try to use Alltel to tether to your laptop on their higher-speed data network, it won't work.

Re: Sprint

Originally posted by Evan Bookbinder
I have gone the USB adapter route with my Sprint connection and it works great.

A couple lessons learned.

1.) I bought my USB adapter off Ebay. A key is to find one that actually charges your phone through the USB. Most cell phones manufacturers senselessly locate the data jack and recharge jack right next to each other. You will not be able to charge your phone with a data jack in place on most phones. The one I purchased uses the PC power supply through the USB to charge the phone in addition to providing the data feed -- it works GREAT! The CD/driver took all of 2 minutes to install and the whole package cost like $12!!

2.) Make sure you physically turn on the Sprint PCS plan for the $15 flat fee, or be prepared to receive a bill that charges 1 cent per kb. You may not think this is much, but after a test dry run I received a near heart attack $250 cell phone bill. Thankfully I convinced the Sprint rep to undo the charges and charge me $15 instead. It's a cheap loop hole because the flat fee rate should take effect the first time you connect to the Internet with your phone.

Otherwise, as I said, it works GREAT. On the interstates we were getting solid broadband speeds. Even better, because the 777# "number" doesn't physically dial out like a modem, you don't lose your internet connection hopping from tower to tower at 70-75 mph. The phone reconnects to the new tower in a split second and you won't even notice it. At least on my Samsung A600, the LCD turns into a RX/TX screen showing you the transmission rates. Pretty cool!

Evan

Just be careful and don't overdo your usage. Sprint expressly forbids people to tether their phones to their laptops. Enforcement is spotty, but if you start downloading tons and tons of data and they notice, they'll revoke your Vision plan and possibly charge you for each kb.

I am currently trying to get a data cable to tether my LG VX3300 to my laptop running Me. My phone service provider is Verizon.

I found this:

Click Here

The reason I don't just go ahead and order it is because the product listed

Here

Says that:

"In order for your usb data cable to perform the above functions, you must obtain the required software independently."

I even called that last place, and the guy who anwered said that, indeed, I would have to get the necessary software myself from somewhere else online or otherwise. I said "Even though it comes with a driver CD??", and he said yes, there's some other software needed.

There is no phone number for the other stores that are selling these cables on eBay, and after 24 hours, they have not replied to my emails. Grrrr.

It's only a few bucks, but can someone confirm for me that the cable in the first link will put me online with my phone?

Thanks!!

Bob

Re: Sprint

Originally posted by Ryan McGinnis

Just be careful and don't overdo your usage. Sprint expressly forbids people to tether their phones to their laptops. Enforcement is spotty, but if you start downloading tons and tons of data and they notice, they'll revoke your Vision plan and possibly charge you for each kb.

I've been seeing this on various message boards, but I am starting to think this is largely a CWA clause for Sprint to be able to shut off those that are abusing it. Before I got my Sprint aircard, I used my cell phone for data extensively during chasing, but no other time. You really don't pass THAT much data during a chase unless your trying to upload video. Just the usual radar data, maps etc etc isn't that much.

I've seen people post that they got their "stop it" letters from Sprint, but I still think there is anothe side to that story as to what they were doing with the connection.

Originally posted by Bob Schafer
I am currently trying to get a data cable to tether my LG VX3300 to my laptop running Me. My phone service provider is Verizon.

The reason I don't just go ahead and order it is because the product listed

Here

Says that:

"In order for your usb data cable to perform the above functions, you must obtain the required software independently."

It's only a few bucks, but can someone confirm for me that the cable in the first link will put me online with my phone?

Thanks!!

Bob

Bob,

The KEY wording here is “the above functionsâ€￾

I’m not sure about ME, but with XP all you need is the cable and driver for the phone and you will be able to connect to the Internet. Now, that said, if you want to use the cable and manage your stored data on the phone, IE: pictures, address book, ring tones, ect . . You will need to get additional software. Some programs such as Bitpim are free and can be downloaded. But as far as being able to connect to the Internet, no additional software is required

Thanks, Kurt!! That's exactly what I was wondering.

Now, however, I have been advised by a guy at a cellphone and accessories store in Santa Fe that I cannot connect my external antenna to my LG VX3300. It has no port for that, so I will be looking for a new phone on eBay, and then I will find a data cable for that phone...

No big loss, since Verizon gave me the 3300 for free (after Verizon changed my phone number, at my request, but didn't bother to inform me that the new number wasn't going to even be usable with the old Globalstar phone I have. I raised hell and they gave me a free 3300.)

I am too old to care about ringtones, etc., LOL

Bob

Be careful dropping too much money on these items. Once you buy a data cable or cell internet software package, it's usually yours for good. The companies are strange about reselling them if they don't work for you. I actually had an auction pulled by eBay because I tried to sell my old $40 SnapDialer cable because it didn't work on my phone. The company actually looks for their products, then reports you if they find you trying to sell it.

I’m confused. I don’t see how they can do that. If you are the rightful owner (you paid for it legally) and are selling it as USED, or like new (unopened), how is a data cable or software program any different than any other junk we sell on Ebay? I know some demo or freebee software comes labeled “not for resaleâ€￾, but I can’t see this for a cable. How is it different from a garden hose? Its not that I doubt your story Dan, I just don’t understand.

I also have to make a similar comment as Kurt's. Perhaps some of this data loop hole stuff is a bit sneeky, but the cord can also be used for other things like keeping backup of you phonebook, etc. I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to sell it.

By the way I just bought a cord for my cell and laptop for $15. I have to get an ISP for the summer because of where I'm moving to, so for a total of $25 bucks to chase w/ even slow internet is well worth it! I'm excited for this year, my setup will be even more capable in aiding me in finding storms. Sure I don't have that satellite data stuff, but this is cheaper!

I plan on getting a laptop this spring. Let me get this straight, hopefully someone can help me because when it comes to tech stuff, i don't know what Im doing.

Ok I get the laptop, and I have alltel cell service, then all I have to do is have a dial up acct and plug the cell phone into the laptop, and then I will have internet service about anywhere? I just dont want to buy a laptop and then not be able to use it for chasing.

I use sprint, and future dial. I simply connect the proper cable (also provided by future dial) from my phone to my laptop via the usb port. The future dial software comes with the dialer, and the usb drivers, so you are completely set up. They sell cables for virtually all phones. The connections out on the plains are just OK, but between that and the wifi, I am generally OK.

EDIT: I should also mention that I did get good tech support from future dial last year when I set everything up... actually talked to a live person!

Originally posted by Mikel Shively
I plan on getting a laptop this spring. Let me get this straight, hopefully someone can help me because when it comes to tech stuff, i don't know what Im doing.

Ok I get the laptop, and I have alltel cell service, then all I have to do is have a dial up acct and plug the cell phone into the laptop, and then I will have internet service about anywhere? I just dont want to buy a laptop and then not be able to use it for chasing.

Mikel,

You can get a connectivity kit from Alltel to connect your phone to the laptop, and yes, you could use that to dial into a dial-up account. I have done that with mine though it can be slow (I believe someone mentioned 14kbps above, that' about right.). The same applies with the Quick Network Connection option.

OR

There is the option that Mike Umscheid spoke of on page two of this thread, and that is using a wireless card from Alltel and paying an additional fee for their data service.

Back