Cell Phone Net Connection?

Tony, any chance your on the low end $10 vision pack? I found this on the Sprint site:

Charges for Sprint PCS VisionSM
Unlike voice calls, which are charged by the minute, data usage is charged by the size of file sent or received on your Sprint PCS VisionSM phone. If you have a Sprint PCS VisionSM pack with unlimited Sprint PCS VisionSM, your usage of Sprint PCS VisionSM is unlimited and you will not be charged any data fees.

If you do not have unlimited Sprint PCS VisionSM, you will be charged for Sprint PCS VisionSM service on a per-kilobyte (KB) basis any time you transmit or receive information using your Sprint PCS VisionSM phone.

For reference, I am on the $15 vision pack.

David, I had the $15 pack prior to getting the phone-to-modem plan. When I got the phone-to-modem plan, it included the $10 vision pack; I paid the extra $5 to have the unlimited picture mail added to it.

Ahh! I bought a cable for my phone to my computer. I've been trying to install it but the drivers for some reason aren't being recognized. I've tried to manually install drivers but I've had no luck either. I've been trying for several hours for my computer to recognize my phone. Anyone know where I can find any type drivers that would work for a Dr. Cable USB Mobile Phone Data Cable?

Originally posted by Eric Friedebach
It was always my understanding that Sprint’s EVDO rollout would be a “flip of the switchâ€￾ network-wide, but I guess with the NEXTEL merger, they’ve decided to take it easy.

This is actually far from the truth. Sprint is expanding and flipping the switch by leaps and bounds.

I see you're from Minneapolis, I'm located in St. Cloud and frequent Minneapolis. If you check the Sprint maps (which are always way outdated) they have EVDO coverage over the entire metro all the way up past St. Cloud... a stretch of interstate about 100 miles long with good coverage well off the Interstate. They also have spotty EVDO in Rochester, Northfield and Mankato as well as downtown Duluth.

Their 1xRTT coverage is also expanding at the same time. I was up in Grand Marais and Ely over the past month and both of those locations as well as much of the North Shore of Lake Superior has sprint coverage now. (slower standard 144k speeds) This shocked the hell out of me since you're really in the middle of nowhere up there. This isn't even plotted on their data maps.

They are getting better at updating their maps too. Check these out frequently if you're from Minnesota:
Orange is EVDO (high speed data), dark green is basic sprint service (144k data)
http://www.sprint.com/business/images/evdo...neapolis_MN.PNG
http://www.sprint.com/business/images/evdo.../StCloud_MN.PNG

national maps:
http://www.sprint.com/business/products/pr...vdoCoverage.jsp

I'm biting the bullet and getting an aircard probably this weekend. It's only $60 a month if you have a sprint voice plan, and the card is free. Cancel my existing $15 vision plan and the $12.95 pilot mycast and I can start to justify about a $45 increase in phone bill for unlimited data.

Hi Andy!

Now if they would only get the rest of their network up to speed (bad pun). Even at 1xRTT, you’ll love it!

If you or anyone else gets a note from Sprint about an upgrade for your AirCard, make sure it isn’t this one.

It’s Evil.

EDIT: If anyone is shopping around, Sierra Wireless has a set of links here grouped by service type.

I have t-mobile sidekick 2 and i can get internet access for my notebook via USB by purchasing a $10 dollar program and using their sidekick unlimited plan which gives unlimited text messaging, email, and data services for $20/ a month!!! It has worked great for me.

Hit CTRL + F5 and it will refresh with full rez graphics. Sprint compresses graphics to the service seem faster than it is, just like AOL. :lol:
[/b]

I bought the sprint aircard, and I noticed the graphics are very low rez even on using the aircard. I did try the CTRL + F5 and that works for a single image, but when I want to loop the vis sat from du page, I noticed that all of the images are low rez, and the CTRL +F5 does not work for a series or loop of images. Does anyone know a fix to this?

Had a chance to test out my Samsung A920 phone Thursday in Kansas! Obviously there is issues with Sprint service availability west of I-135, but when I was on the interstate and using Sprint's connection kit, I was able to connect quickly and with no major issues. I was able to pull down most data I needed at dial-up speeds and keep myself up-to-date with what was going on. I was very happy with the results and look forward to using it more this season where I can!

060330r.jpg

I've been using my Alltel phone tethered to the laptop, but rather than use their data service I dial into the dial up provider we use here at the house (we live in the sticks). It seems to work pretty well, and it's not been affected by the change over between networks. Just another option..........

I've been using my Alltel phone tethered to the laptop, but rather than use their data service I dial into the dial up provider we use here at the house (we live in the sticks). It seems to work pretty well, and it's not been affected by the change over between networks. Just another option..........
[/b]

I also use Alltel for my service, tethered to a cell phone, and external antenna. There was just a couple of times that I failed to get data the whole time from my home, to North Central KS. Seems to be working very well. So far I am very pleased with the setup I have......

Back