Cell Phone Net Connection?

Yeah, thanks. I'm trying out now. I'm done research and it appears the faster, Express Network is being locked down. QNC will remain free however. I never knew Verizon had free data packages so this is nice to hear about. A nice backup even if you have another internet package. I ordered a data cable for $0.79 on eBay and am waiting for it to get here. I'll report back if anyone wants.

cell data connection

Yup, I've used Verizon for web access for years. Two things I have found that have been mentioned in different postings previously: 1) you DON'T need a separate data plan, just the normal calling plan, and a data kit for your phone (available at most any Verizon store), which includes a CD and USB cable. This provides access whenever you have a digital signal. 2) If you want reliable access in analog areas, a separate PC modem card (I use an Ositech King of Clubs) will get you connected. This still uses the normal voice minutes....I have found that forcing your phone in analog mode (check you phone's directions) can give access, albeit slow, just about anywhere. -Dave

I was looking at verizon plans the other week and noticed now they have something saying you "must" have a data plan to get internet. It seemed like they too now don't want people using their own isp and normal voice minutes. I will go to altell if they want to do this. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

verizon data plans

Hey Mike....thanks for the heads-up...my plan is an old one, and when the "contract" expired my service continued "as-is"....maybe I don't want to change it or make anyone aware of the data use! -Dave

Still getting online with verizon here. I have read somewhere that the newer phones have disabled the ability to achieve this however....not sure how true that is though. Anyone else hear that?

Anyhow, with my old LG4400, I'm still logging on with mobile office to verizons digital network (express network), and can many times get a connection outside of digital areas using the "quick 2 net" feature albeit at 14.4 connection speed. Can also dial up a temporary ISP using the phone if the need arises. No digital charges, just regular minutes, and of course nation wide calling plan to avoid extra roaming charges.

I would seriously like to have threat net though. I do wish they would lower their fees a bit more :(

Verizon Data

As far as I know, nothing of Verizon has been locked down. A few of their newer phones are not set up for DUN (Dial Up Networking), but those who are even slightly computer savvy could complete editing needed on the phone to enable the DUN profile. I currently connect with my VX8100 using bluetooth for chasing. I am in a non EVDO (Verizon Broadband) area so I am still accesing the Express Network, but the EVDO network can be accessed by DUN as well. Basically gives you a high speed moble connection to the internet when you need one.

Verizon is very lienient about data usage when dialing up using your computer. From what I have heard, which is a lot, they won't waste their time unless you are basically connected 24/7 via your cell phone. Which would be more expensive for you anyway then getting a cable modem.

Also, Verizon does not charge data fees, only airtime minutes used for DUN access. The cable needed for your phone varies from phone to phone (obviously), but can be bought almost anywhere. There are basically 2 types of cables. The box cable and the straight cable. A box cable requires a special driver which can be found (free) at futuredial.com. The Stright cable also requires a driver, which can also be found for free by simply googling it. You do not need to buy Verizon's phone tools, or the futuredial suite to use just DUN. If you want all the other stuff that goes with it: Address book, ringer uploads and so on, you can get a program called Bitpim that will allow you to transfer all those for nothing, zip zero nadda. Verizon just doesnt want you to know that it can be done since they offer their "Get It Now" pay service to transfer stuff.

One more thing, to dial up to an external ISP using your phone, is as simple as putting in the ISP phone number, username and pass...and whala, instant dial up. No king of hearts modem needed.

Verizon connections

I have used Verizon for years for cell phone connectivity. I have a Motorola cell phone and bought a connectivity kit for it for about $35 with an upgrad last year. Once you load the software, you plug your cell phone into a USB port via a cable and off you go! You CAN use your cell phone voice minutes for data, but only at the analog rate of about 14.4 kbps. During chase season I add the Mobile Broadband plan to my phone for $79 per month and get up to 300 kbps UP AND DOWN just about anywhere there is a digital connection. It works VERY well. Then after chase season you can cancel the broadband service and continue with your voice only plan till the next chase season :D

Re: Verizon connections

I have used Verizon for years for cell phone connectivity. I have a Motorola cell phone and bought a connectivity kit for it for about $35 with an upgrad last year. Once you load the software, you plug your cell phone into a USB port via a cable and off you go! You CAN use your cell phone voice minutes for data, but only at the analog rate of about 14.4 kbps. During chase season I add the Mobile Broadband plan to my phone for $79 per month and get up to 300 kbps UP AND DOWN just about anywhere there is a digital connection. It works VERY well. Then after chase season you can cancel the broadband service and continue with your voice only plan till the next chase season :D

Verizon and Alltel both operate on CDMA networks. I have an Alltel data plan only with a new Kyocera air-card and the setup works wonderfully all across Kansas' ~90 to 95% CDMA coverage. Most of Kansas is Alltel except for the larger metro areas of Wichita, Lawrence, Kansas City which are Verizon. I can roam on Verizon's CDMA if I have the unlimited with roaming plan, their "Coast to Coast" ($69.99). Otherwise, the basic 7.99 plan is only for 2MB up/down per month with no roaming... which is great for the off season. I'm pretty sure Verizon has the same data service as Alltel with unlimited roaming on Alltel's network in rural Kansas... Either Alltel or Verizon is the way to go in my opinion

Mike U

Well I finally received my USB data cable today. I bought it on Ebay for a few pennies and $5.95 shipping, what a deal! Anyway, it came with a cd with all required drivers for my phone and others. So not wanting to waste any time, I plugged one end of the cable into the phone and the other into an open USB connection and waited for the “new hardware foundâ€￾ to come up. When it did I installed the correct driver and said “now what?â€￾ So I did a quick Google search and found this http://216.119.70.238/Download/LG_Dial-up_manual.doc I simply followed the directions, disabled my wireless connection and presto! Here comes data screaming over the airwaves. This is cool. Now I have a backup to my wireless connection. So in short, all I needed was a six dollar cable and I have internet over my phone. Good luck everyone.

Well I finally received my USB data cable today. I bought it on Ebay for a few pennies and $5.95 shipping, what a deal! Anyway, it came with a cd with all required drivers for my phone and others. So not wanting to waste any time, I plugged one end of the cable into the phone and the other into an open USB connection and waited for the “new hardware foundâ€￾ to come up. When it did I installed the correct driver and said “now what?â€￾ So I did a quick Google search and found this http://216.119.70.238/Download/LG_Dial-up_manual.doc I simply followed the directions, disabled my wireless connection and presto! Here comes data screaming over the airwaves. This is cool. Now I have a backup to my wireless connection. So in short, all I needed was a six dollar cable and I have internet over my phone. Good luck everyone.

I get an "Unable to load graphics conversion" error when trying to open up that document. Think you could help me with pasting what it says in there? I still have not been able to get my LG F7200 to connect to the net. :(

My phone would never show up with a modem. I don't know which driver to install there with my phone either, Kurt. It's really becoming a pain in the butt.

Got sick of that LG piece of crap before the 30 date return period was up.....returned it for the new Samsung SGH d357. It has bluetooth and EDGE capability. Anyone know if I will need the cable to connect to the net now or just a bluetooth dongle?

Back