Boring March equals boring season???

What is sort of nice about the central and northern plains is you can sit through all of March and April and not have one event and it really doesn't even register as troubling(that'd be "normal"). 45 more days of zero worries. If I lived in OK or TX I might feel like I was starting to miss my season, but hardly. It is still March. It is snowing in the TX panhandle right now. I think the period to even begin to start to wonder about worries should be at least 3 weeks out yet. Way too early to worry. The season is completely hosed however...lol. I have to say that as much as possible so someone can complain about it next year how some were saying the season was toast(as if it isn't a funny joke). HOSED with out the tube. DONE. FINI. Nothing but cold air advection over the whole gulf for all of April. Perhaps it is a good thing there are no ops down there yet. Gas ain't cheap and those early systems can drag you out of your place for nothing. Let it snow let it snow let it snow.

heh

And here goes the 456th Unwritten Rule OF Chasing:

Reverse Stormology: The Science Of Using the English Vocabulary to Impact Atmospherice Dynamics and Processes by Positively Enhancing the Storm Season through Negative Thought and Process and Liturgy.

Using Reverse Stormology builds up an invisible meteorological paramater which materialized exactly 22.3 days after being spoken. ;)

In all seriousness, its way to early to tell. Seems every year we have people putting an end to the season well before it begins. Truth be known, we dont have enough climatological data to couple with every possible scenario meteorologically speaking to begin to say what is what. As we all know in weather, things change faster than 4500 CAPE can rise after punching through the CAP.

We'll just have to see. Thanks for using Reverse Stormology, Mike! Its going to be an absolutely HORRIBLE year ;) (using said Reverse Stormology... ;) )

This year actually started off really well. The preliminary numbers suggest that 32 tornadoes occured in the month of January...in the last five years...no more than 5 tornadoes have occured.

Only 4 have been reported for March this year...with the 3 year average being 48.

So...this doesnt tell us a lot, but just something I found to be interesting. March is down at this point, but January was also a very big month. Anyone got any stats on big January's meaning anything?

Overall...Im not too worried about it. Here in Illinois we didnt have a severe weather event until April 20th. March had a couple days were it thundered...but thats it, no severe weather events. Quiet March's have become quite common now, and I just try not to worry about it.

I look at March chasing the same way I look at November chasing. It’s the off-season! Sure I’ll chase if there is a good setup, but I don’t get depressed if there aren’t any.

Does a boring March equal a boring chase season? No, I don’t think a lack of supercells and tornadoes in March has any effect on the number of supercells and tornadoes in May and June. I love it when we have a slow March and April. That means I’ll have more money left for the real chase season, May and June.

2005 chase season

Its been 10 days since I last chased, saw tons of dime sized hail, incredible lightning, heavy rain etc. on March 6th 2005 and even had some severe thunderstorm warnings posted in my area! This March 6th chase is the earliest that I've gone chasing here in Iowa ever! Hasn't been to boring of a March for me! Can't wait until April gets here though!! :D

I'm surprised how many people lump April into the March funk. April is a month that will bring you to your knees if you don't respect it, storm speeds be damned. And this is coming from a chaser who hasn't nailed an April tornado since 1999.

Yeah - if you look at violent tornadoes - April is the peak. They can move fast - but who can resist those early season chases.

Anyone checking the long-range models? Looks like march may get her act together just in time.... In fact, lots of the larger scale patterns that have lead to the abnormal weather of the last few weeks are on the decline (AO, PNA, NAO) - so things coudl start to heat up real fast over th enext few weeks and we'll all forget about the early March slump.

Glen

How about that tor watch today? Looks like we are tacking on another tornado for March. Rumor has that you guys in the southern Plains might see some storms in the next week. The month isn't over yet!

How about that tor watch today? Looks like we are tacking on another tornado for March. Rumor has that you guys in the southern Plains might see some storms in the next week. The month isn't over yet!

Exactly. Things can change real fast...dont think we need to be worrying about a bad season in mid March. Lets just let things come as they will...

Well hopefully spicey goes well and doesn't leave us with heartburn! Although I'd rather see severe weather in the Central US, snow here in the Rockies would also be a nice thing to see, otherwise us here in CO may end up chasing wildfires again this season!

I'm not sure exactly how things are going to pan out for the back half of the month. I do know the faith beyond a few days is sometimes hard to gather, and even as I'm hopeful, I'm not exactly faithful. It is nice to see things starting to turn a bit, but as mentioned many time before... it's only March! Hopefully in May, we'll all be forgetting how eager we became in March!

All we really have to do, is simply keep in mind how fast things can change in the spring. As some found out this week...and I've seen in the past...you can go from snow covered yards, to tornado warnings in mere days.

It's almost like God was watching this thread and thought: 'Boring, eh?"
Kind of like when a person said that God himself couldn't sink the Titanic ;)

Back