6/16/04 NOW: Central High Plains and Midwest

Kevin Scharfenberg

Tornado watch issued for SE CO and SW KS as thunderstorms rapidly developing in the Lamar, CO area. Supercells appear likely in high CAPE environment.

...Discuss today's developments...

Not related to the area, but in Howard County Iowa,
at 205 pm CDT, weather spotters reported a tornado
over Davis Corners.

Also a Severe Thunderstorm Watch has been issued
for Central and Eastern Iowa

Mike

Storm southwest of Lamar already showing a radar echo above 50,000 feet. Other storms starting to develop near Raton Pass. Based on the 19Z Springfield observation, the theta-E downstream of the Lamar storm is now up to about 360K!

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
BENT COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST COLORADO

* UNTIL 345 PM MDT

* AT 230 PM MDT...A DEVELOPING TORNADO WAS OVER CENTRAL BENT
COUNTY...OR ABOUT 27 MILES SOUTHWEST OF LAMAR...AND WAS MOVING
NORTHEAST AT 10 MPH

Gettin ready to head out myself in the next few minutes when my partner gets here.

Still has an impressive hook, but I'm wondering if it will last ... precip has filled in the rear flank of the storm all the way down to the TX/NM line ... it appears the cell to the south is either spreading over the first storm, or that there is the potential for MCS or cluster development ...

The couplet on that storm looks incredible right now, but it looks like the circulation is really wrapped up in rain.

Storms are popping up in West Central, MO. Vernon county was under a severe storm warning, but it has been cancelled. The storms keep building on radar though with small hail. Lots of low hanging clouds. It's raining heavy off and on. Just went to the store and walked into a truck in parking lot while gawking at the sky. :lol:

Our tour group with Chris Lenz caught several tornadoes just outside of Lamar, CO; including a multiple vortex with damage reported. More to follow.

Back