6/08/2005 Talk: Central US

Red box now out. Still like the setup near/north of the KC metro for tornadoes. While the wind shift is extreme - with very impresive instability present north of the surface wind shift I can see the potential for a significant tornado or two out of this despite the fairly uni-directional upper level flow. Area around St. Joe looks particularly enticing. Elsewhere, a few short-lived tornadoes are likely along the nose of the strong bow echo moving into IL now - where the front intersects the line. May see a tornado or two along the arcing line back to N. MO as new cells develop along the leading edge of the outflow. I should have gone out this morning...... I knew better.

Glen

This storm that initiated over my head is now producing downdraft and the sprinkles are coming down ... maybe I'll sit on the back porch to film the tornado - reflectivity is showing it now too -

Originally posted by Mike Peregrine
This storm that initiated over my head is now producing downdraft and the sprinkles are coming down ... maybe I'll sit on the back porch to film the tornado -

Hey - it might happen - the boundaries seem pretty stationary - and converge right southeast of town. Good luck Mike.

Glen

JEEZE! - this thing is anviling out now ... this is looking promising - the base continues to move off to the NE, but radar has it sitting almost stationary so far ... think I'll just wait and see what it does -

Sitting at the Flying J in Emporia, trying to decide if I should continue towards KC or sit tight. Things are certainly bubbling here. I think l'm gonna watch that cold front for a while. If you're in the area and see the blue Element with Florida plates, don't hesitate to say hi.

Originally posted by John Gnuechtel
Sitting at the Flying J in Emporia, trying to decide if I should continue towards KC or sit tight. Things are certainly bubbling here. I think l'm gonna watch that cold front for a while. If you're in the area and see the blue Element with Florida plates, don't hesitate to say hi.

I'm currently sitting in Pittsburg KS... at work :(

If I were you, I think I'd sit at Flying J's for a while.... I think between you and KC would be the best potential.. plug you're in a good position...

We now have lots of thunder and rain ... here are a couple pics ... sorry not good quality, but don't have time to edit ... couldn't get a decent shot of the inflow band, but it is there - trust me -

Developing Tower
webSTORMA.jpg

Anvil

webstormaanvil.jpg

John, with surface obs showing nearly westerly winds at your location - I'd certainly recommend continueing to the northeast. Best convergence continues to be in the St. Joe area - where a cell is trying to establish itself right over Mike P.'s house apparently, as well as new development to its southwest. Some additional potential back northwest from there to just west of Nebraska City - but weak surface flow there may limit the overall tornado threat - excepting perhpas right at the secondary intersection point just east of Beatrice. Outflow boundary now detected by the EAX radar - and you can see that it continues to move southwest - so the greatest risk area should slide sw over time - but probably not as far as Emporia if it is to be even remotely unstable. New development just north of Easton KS would be my suggestion for John - as it is on the way and should track near/along the surface outflow boundary now sweeping through Clay County in MO.

Mike might want to consider drifting south a bit - maybe to around Agency.

Glen

Cell near Mike P's house is continuing to intensify via doppler radar...
Program on my computer is showing its max dBZ around 40-42... Also new development to its SW into KS...

Good luck to all...

I only live a couple miles from Agency ... the view is great from here ... but while convergence is great, now I'm concerned about wind. Going to stay put for now as this storm attempts to organize and become better rooted. Have plenty of time -

Yeah, I tend to think it might be a good idea to head towards Topeka at this point. The data here was nice :wink:, but up there is a little closer to the developing action. Thanks for the helpful comments, guys.

I would also keep an eye on the area around Leavenworth, KS ... the Cu there is showing some signs of growth on satellite - I don't think this cell over me knows what it wants to do ... it's phasing a bit ... hopefully there's still a chance for it to grow.

Back