6/08/2005 Talk: Central US

dick, according to the latest MD from the spc, i think you and eric are in a fine location.

DEEP LAYER AND LOW LEVEL SHEAR PER MODIFIED OLATHE KANSAS
WIND PROFILER FOR CURRENT OJC SURFACE WIND HAVE BECOME FAVORABLE FOR
ROTATING STORMS AND A HEIGHTENED POTENTIAL FOR A TORNADO...GIVEN
/SFC-6 KM SHEAR AT 32 KT AND 0-3 KM SRH AROUND 150 M2/S2

it figures that my home town is a great target area today while i am stuck working 50 miles south.

Just got off the turnpike right by Lawrence. Cell about 20 miles SW of me looks as good as anything on radar. Visibility here is less than awesome. These populated areas R +3h suX.

Latest data from the hourly mesoscale analysis page is showing CAPES of 6500+ over southeast Kansas... Is this even physically possible? There really is a TON of moisture out there today.

Thinking of heading down southwest of Olathe now ... the cell near EMP is starting to sweeten up quite a bit -

EDIT - west of Leavenworth looking good again now too ... will these updrafts ever get off the ground?

just east of emporia looks wicked!!!!I hope I can get in on the action at 7pm when I get off work!

CH 41 out of kc is showing a helicopter view of a funnel cloud associated with the jefferson county storm. the storm is tor warned.

Warning says:

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
NORTHEASTERN JEFFERSON COUNTY IN NORTHEAST KANSAS

* UNTIL 615 PM CDT

* AT 522 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO NEAR
OSKALOOSA...OR ABOUT 17 MILES NORTH OF LAWRENCE...MOVING NORTHEAST
AT 15 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
MCLOUTH...
WINCHESTER...

They're showing a funnel right now on TV (NBC, Gary Lezack)--not sure about touch down. *Very* close to Oskaloosa.

[Edit]

It's on the ground--over an open field. Neat helicopter footage right now.

It's roping out now--really hope some chasers got on this, as it's well lit and there is a rainbow!

cool might get in my backyard. :D

TORNADO WATCH 439 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 900 PM CDT FOR THE
FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

IAC001-003-009-029-071-077-085-129-137-145-155-159-165-173-175-
090200-
/O.NEW.KWNS.TO.A.0439.050608T2230Z-050609T0200Z/

IA
. IOWA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ADAIR ADAMS AUDUBON
CASS FREMONT GUTHRIE
HARRISON MILLS MONTGOMERY
PAGE POTTAWATTAMIE RINGGOLD
SHELBY TAYLOR UNION
$$

Fox4 is saying now that the tornado near Oskaloosa has had a history of "backbuilding" (his term)--touch down reports have gone south and west instead of north and east., so maybe this one is tracking in an odd direction (or is it more than one 'nader?).

Well, the storm is backbuilding, with new updrafts going up in the same general location with time. That's pretty typical on these high CAPE/weak flow days, especially if the storm's sitting on a boundary.

Cell showing signs of rotation ~4 miles SW of Tonganoxie, KS; Fox4 met. believes it coudl become the tornadic cell of this bunch (he believes it's going to cut of flow into the cell NE of Oskaloosa).

Originally posted by Scott Udell
Fox4 is saying now that the tornado near Oskaloosa has had a history of \"backbuilding\" (his term)--touch down reports have gone south and west instead of north and east., so maybe this one is tracking in an odd direction (or is it more than one 'nader?).

I suspect he's referring to the storm itself. :roll:

From radar, it looks like a bunch of little cells have popped up to the SW of this cell - and I bet that was what he was referring to.

I see the funnel cloud on the channel 9 webpage. It'll be interesting to see more video of the confirmed tornado when it's available.

KR

Back