5/8/05 TALK: Plains

Originally posted by Jared Mysko
Are we allowed to post tornado warnings here? Looks like some tornado warnings are going up for big line of storms in South Dakota.

Jared

And I quoth:

* NOAA/NWS products or bulletins posted in their entirety are not allowed. If you post such a product, trim it to the bare minimum and always include original informational comments written by you.

Looks like you're okay, so long as you don't post the whole bulletin and remember to comment on the storm somehow.

Any of you guys down there around Wichita, keep an eye out. Convection just initiated in Alfalfa County, OK -- and significant tornado parameter now shows up across Butler and Cowley Co KS.

I have been watching the convection just NW of Hutchinson, KS. KITC radar clearly shows the DL /CF intersection but latest radar scans indicates that the CF has now undercut the convection ~ which seems to have become orphaned....

It looks like the storm that just formed in Alfalfa County is about to hit an OFB from earlier convection. Shows up pretty well on the OUN forecast discussion image as well on SPC mesoanalysis. SCP over 8 in that region, with backed surface flow and good drop in LCL heights.

Originally posted by Ryan McGinnis
Looks like an outflow boundary is about to smash into the cold front west of Omaha. Check out the animated radar out of OAX.

That boundary has been hanging around the area all day, it seems. I suspect it veered the winds just enough locally to kill surface convergence along the dryline - hence, the lack of storms in eastern NE today (excepting those that developed along aforementioned boundary). I'm not sure what'll happen when it collides with the (now) cold front/dryline. Not much, I'd guess.

Graham and I sitting here in Denny's in Boerne, TX along I20 waiting on dinner. Had some fun coming SE out of the San Angelo area on a storm that just kept going and going. No tornadoes spotted, but a few wall clouds, LOTS of hail up to 2.5 inches. Few new dents and a broken anemometer to show for it. Saw one of the most wicked shelf clouds I have seen in recent memory! Has some wicked close CGs too at one point and Graham caught one or two with his new Canon 20D camera and an awesome wide angle shot of the shelf cloud he is working on trying to post now for the reports thread. I will see about getting a short vid clip up too tomorrow.

Didn't expect much today, but we got to see some cool stuff and most importantly we HAD FUN! :D

Back